When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wings!
  Re: (...)
My wind chimes just chimed!

Once in a rare moment God creates a beautiful Angel that he sends to earth to enrich the lives of all that he might touch. That Angel blesses everyone he touches, no matter how light the touch might be, with humor, love, and the kind of friendship that fables are written about.
No one that meets that Angel will ever forget his kindness, his generosity, the vastness of his spirit, and the strength of his love. Those few that have been held in one of his amazing hugs will never be the same, his spirit will always be indelibly bonded to theirs.
Today I learned that God called that Angel back to heaven. The world is a sadder place, there is less generosity, less kindness, less love. Billy Cotton is now sitting with God discussing the dinner menu, sharing his boundless enthusiasm with all the other angels – throwing sticks for his beloved Buddy, and wishing that we would all stop mourning his loss and instead rejoicing in having known him.
I talked to Billy yesterday morning – his meds were working better, he was feeling better, we told each other how much we loved each other; but we always make sure that we let each other know. He was so tickled by his veggie soups! He’d gotten Jesse a wonderful new home, and he was looking forward to doing some shopping for some new slacks – and coming to visit us on the farm.
I am saying prayers for his family, knowing that their loss is so overwhelming - wishing that there was something I could do or say that would ease the pain and loss that they must be feeling. I know how we feel – and just cannot imagine . . . . we love you Billy – and our lives are a little emptier without you, but so much fuller for having known you!
  Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wings! by Harborwitch (My wind chimes just ...)
I cannot believe this!!

Jean just called me and told me the news and my heart is just shattered!

We just saw him a week ago, and while he did look thin he was in such wonderful spirits. My gosh I am going to miss that man.

Billy, I'm going to miss you so darn much. **tears** Crap now I can't even read what I'm typing.
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wings! by DFen911 (I cannot believe thi...)
I can't imagine a world without Billy in it - I think this is the epitome of Billy, there was probably no prouder moment in his life than when he was introduced as Chef Billy J Cotton at the fundraiser in Windsor, CO -

* Exported from MasterCook *

SEA SCALLOPS WITH APPLE-CIDER JELLY & CREAMY LEEKS

Recipe By :Chef Jean Denham, CC and Chef Billy J. Cotton

2 cups fresh apple cider
1 large Sweet potato
Vege oil for frying
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 cups chopped leeks
4 tablespoons unslated butter
Kosher salt
black pepper
1 pound sea scallops, sliced in half horizontally
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil

CIDER REDUCTION:
In a saucepan, bring cider to a boil over high heat.
Cook quickly, stirring, till cider is reduced to 1/4 cup.
Set aside; it will form a jelly.

CREAMY LEEKS:
In a pan, bring cream to a boil over high heat.
Cook rapidly stirring often, don't let scorch, till cream is reduced to one cup.
Set aside.

In a skillet, saute leeks in butter over high heat, till golden brown.
Add reduced cream and salt & pepper.
Set aside - but keep warm.

SWEET POTATO CHIPS:
Peel sweet potatoes; then with a peeler, cut wide vertical slices.
(Alternate: slice very thin with a mandoline)
In a large deep skillet, heat vege oil over high heat & fry potatoes till golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and set aside.

SCALLOPS:
In a bowl large enuf to hold the scallops, mix together the mustard, thyme and salt & pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat; sear scallops on both sides.
Remove and keep warm.

TO PLATE:
Place leek mixture in center of each of four plates.
Arrange scallop halves, overlapping around the leeks.
Drizzle the top of the sea scallops with apple cider jelly.
Top the leeks with sweet potato fries.

This course was served with a JOÃO PIRES,
Terras do Sado Vinho Regional 2001

Chef Jean Denham, C.C. Weimar, California Forum Profile

Chef Jean Denham started her culinary career at the age of 60 when she realized that cooking has always been her passion and that she needed to do something about it. Chef Jean Denham is now the Apprenticeship Chair for the Capitol City Chef’s Association, a chapter of the American Culinary Federation which led to her job as Chef at the Forest House Lodge in Foresthill, California. She is also a member of WCR, Women Chefs & Restaurateurs.

Chef Billy J. Cotton Roseburg, Oregon Forum Profile

Chef Billy J. Cotton: A retired Chief Petty Officer in the U.S. Navy, Billy has developed his own style over 35 years of cooking. Many residents of the area have enjoyed classic French, Chinese, Mexican and home-style cuisine. A meal from Billy’s kitchen is an adventure many local cooks aspire to emulate. At the age of 23, Billy discovered that eating out was not economical, so he purchased his first cookbook and began his life of learning and developing his own style. “The agricultural wealth of this area, its surrounding mountains and proximity to the coast encourages one to learn to prepare everything from local meats and produce to wild game, fish and seafood. To give this bounty its due, one must draw on a variety of cuisines to showcase it. It is my pleasure to delight many different palates and tastes using the local wines, cheeses, fruits and vegetables in original recipes”.

Description:
"Each Sea Scallop was napped with cider jelly and served on a bed of creamy leeks, providing a sweet and savory contrast in a jewel-like collage. Adding to this collage are Sweet Potato chips."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He was my friend for a lot of years and I will so miss him. He loved the world.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wings! by cjs (I can't imagine a wo...)
I can not believe this! I don't know what to say! Billy was the sweetest guy! He took me under his wing when I first got my MC and he didn't know me from atom. I had never actually chatted with him, but he returned the email of a stranger and helped me out. I'll never forget that. Over the past few years, it has been such a treat getting to know him better on this forum. He will be missed!

Sharon, please let his family know that my thoughts and prayers are with them during this time. It seems so unfair. Your epitaph is beautiful, even if it did hurt to read it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wings! by Gourmet_Mom (I can not believe th...)
Oh, my! When I saw the thread, I expected something cheerful from my all time favorite movie, It's a Wonderful Life. Not this news! What a shock. I've only known Billy through this forum and found him to be incredibly generous with his time and care of other people. It just won't be the same without him. Praying for peace for Billy's family and everyone he touched along his journey. Rest in peace Chef Bill Cotton.
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wings! by Gourmet_Mom (I can not believe th...)
Oh My! I just read this, and I am still stunned. Billy, oh my Billy. I never met you, but a what a wonderful person you were and will remain in our hearts.

I am still stunned. I cannot believe this home without our Billy. Oh my...(the tears are flowing for you)

I don't know that I would have met eye to eye on too many things of debate. Billy seemed to be a free soul, and I am a bit of a traditionalist and set in my routines. Billy loved all and if he asked questions it was later. I am a bit wary...but I always felt on the most basic level -none of that mattered with Billy. He would just accept you as you are, and you him. We love you, and always will.

Billy knew things were coming to an end. He was putting his ducks in a row. I grieve for his true life family and for our cyber family. But most off all I think I am grieving for his Brother in Law. So many losses and the core for his home are now gone.

Billy, you were a wonderful soul. I will be praying for your family.

He is looking down on us all with Buddy and Feida at his side.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wing by HomeCulinarian (Oh, my! When I saw ...)
Maybe I shouldn't have decided to check the forum for new messages just before bedtime, tonight, since now I'll
have this bittersweet news on my mind. I am SO sorry to hear this, and echo the sentiments already expressed. Billy will certainly be missed here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wing by labradors (Maybe I shouldn't ha...)
I don't know what is worse, Labs, checking before you go to bed, or the first thing in the morning. I am sitting here, tears streaming down my face, and the only way I knew this gentle soul was from this forum.

We talked in the other thread about the connections we have made over the internet, the friends we have made. Amazing how we have become a big family, and for most of us, names without faces, but in some cases, probably closer than some actual families.

In my heart I know he is reunited with his beloved sister and throwing sticks for his Buddy. But, dang, we are going to miss him down here!
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wing by iBcookin (I don't know what is...)
I just now read this thread on Billy - I will miss him -

Please let his family know we care.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: When a bell rings - an Angel receives his wing by mjkcooking (I just now read this...)
The world is a sadder place today. I'll miss my friend.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.