Saturday's Dinner - 10/3???
  Re: (...)
I found a bag of green beans in the bowels of the freezer, so I'm making some of Erin's green bean soup again. Maybe a couple of small pizzas....

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by cjs (I found a bag of gre...)
I'm hoping to do my mystery bag dinner tonight...we'll see. I've got a lot to do today.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm hoping to do my ...)
Busy day... having White Chicken Chili that we made the other day.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by HomeCulinarian (Busy day... having W...)
Grilled shrimp - not sure what to marinade them in yet. Yellow rice and roasted baby zucchini.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by Trixxee (Grilled shrimp - not...)
HomeCulinarian,

That White Chicken Chili sounds interesting. Would you post the recipe for that, please.

Tonight, I'm finally getting around to trying the carnitas from Los Taquitos Mexican Grill in Phoenix, as shown on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives:

Carnitas (for tacos)

Ingredients:
  • 6 Lb Pork shoulder ("Boston butt"), cut into large chunks without removing from the bone
  • 2 Cinnamon sticks
  • 1 Head Garlic, top sliced off to expose cloves
  • 1 Can (14 Oz) Sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 Can (12 Oz) Cola
  • Salt, to taste
  • Water
  • Corn tortillas
  • Fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Red onion, chopped
  • Salsa
Instructions:
  1. Put pork into large pot, throw in cinnamon sticks, garlic, condensed milk, cola, salt, then water almost to cover.
  2. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours.
  3. Shred the meat and cook it on a grill/griddle.
  4. Put 2 corn tortillas together on a griddle, slap them down with the spatula them to keep them flat, flip over, slap again and remove.
  5. Put onto a plate and top with the meat, cilantro, chopped onion and salsa.

It's still simmering, right now, and my apartment smells great!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by labradors (HomeCulinarian,[br][...)
Here you go, Labs. We like it a lot!

White Chicken Chili (The Best Light Recipe Cookbook)
3# bone-in, skin on chicken breasts (2 whole, split)
Salt & pepper
1 tsp vege oil
3 medium poblano chiles, stemmed, seeded and chopped medium
3 medium Anaheim chiles, stemmed seeded and chopped medium
1 medium and one small jalapeno chile, seeds and ribs removed, minced (use seeds for more heat)
2 medium onions, minced
6 medium garlic cloves minced or pressed (about 2 T)
2 T ground cumin
2 T dried oregano
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 15-oz cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
4 scallions, sliced thin

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Sear the chicken skin side down, until browned, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and sear on the second side until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and remove and discard the skin.
Add all of the chiles, except the small jalapeno, onions, garlic, cumin, oregano, and 1 teasp salt in a large Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer half of the chile mixture to a clean plate, set aside.
Stir in the broth, chicken, and beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked, about 20 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a large plate. Continue to simmer the chili, uncovered, until it has thickened, 35 to 40 minutes.
When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, discarding the bones. Stir the shredded chicken, reserved chile mixture, lime juice, cilantro, scallions, and small jalapeno into the chile. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the chili is too thick, stir in additional water to thin it.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by HomeCulinarian (Here you go, Labs. ...)
We made a white chicken chili a few weeks ago and it was great! What made it really white was a touch of cream.

Labs - please let me know how your dish turns out. The condensed milk is throwing me for a loop. My husband's favorite cooking show is Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I like to too.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by Trixxee (We made a white chic...)
HC, thanks for the chili recipe. Sounds great. I'm hoping to be able to grow some Poblanos and Anaheims from seed, since they are otherwise not available here.

Trixxee, it was great! That will keep me fed for a while. It called for a six-pound pork shoulder with the bone, but the pork I get is always boneless, so I just asked for four pounds. Either way, it's a lot of meat.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - 10/3??? by labradors (HC, thanks for the c...)
We had back to back catering events Friday and Saturday. We were so tired he had cheese puffs, I had chips, then we flopped into bed. that chili sure sounds good.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.