Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
  Re: (...)
My crazy sister is having an early Halloween party in a couple of weeks for neighbors and family and is insisting on having most of the food be in yellows, oranges and whites (visions of candy corn swimming through my head).

I think for the main dish she's doing assorted grilled sausages with yellow peppers and onions. I don't know how well my contributions will go, but I'm making creamed corn and a mashed or sweet potato dish.

I know there are all kinds of potato recipes out there but does anyone have a recipe they're partial to? I made one a few years ago that had a touch of bourbon in them and I think the flavor was too strong for some, definitely for any kids that were brave enough to try them.

Thanks in advance!
  Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by Trixxee (My crazy sister is h...)
We're kinda weird about our sweet potatoes at my house. While most people around here make the mashed stuff with marshmallows on top, we do something different. I hate that mashed stuff! Others use a similar recipe but use Karo syrup instead of pancake syrup, but we think the "sauce" gets too "ropey". We like our "sauce" more on the "runny" side. Plus, it doesn't seem as sweet as the kind made with Karo.

There's no recipe, just a method. Peel and slice desired amount of sweet potatoes...about a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch...just as long as the slices are about the same size. (The thinner the slices, the sweeter the potatoes will be. I like mine closer to 1/2.) Scatter the slices in a glass or ceramic baking dish that has been buttered or sprayed with Pam. Cover with 1/2 cup to a cup of sugar, depending on how many sweet potatoes you have. (If you have enough in a 9X13 pan to be 2-3 slices deep, go with a cup.) Pour in enough pancake syrup to come about half way to 3/4. (I may have to try substituting a little bourbon or brandy here sometime when Mom isn't going to be here. I like that idea.) The slices will shrink down into the syrup a little. Dot the top with 1/2 stick to a stick of butter, again, depending on the amount of potatoes. Bake on 350 until potatoes are tender.

This is no diet dish...LOL! But ever so good...better than eating candy! It's not Thanksgiving without these on the table!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by Gourmet_Mom (We're kinda weird ab...)
Spicy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium Sweet Potatoes
  • 4 tbs Butter
  • 1/8 tsp (or to taste) ground cumin
  • Salt to taste
  • 6 oz. Pepper-Jack cheese, grated
  • 1 large Red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 large Yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup Sour cream
  • 2 tbs Freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tbs White onions, minced
  • 2 tbs Cilantro, finely chopped
Instructions:
  1. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a large baking pan lined with foil. Bake in a 350° F oven for about 1 1/2 hrs, or until soft in the center. Remove from oven, but leave oven on. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop potato flesh into a bowl. Place jackets back onto baking pan.
  2. Mash the butter, cumin and salt into the potatoes, leaving them chunky.
  3. Scoop back into potato jackets, distributing mixture evenly.
  4. Sprinkle the peppers and the cheese onto top of potatoes, reserving some peppers for final garnish. Bake in oven until the cheese melts.
  5. Mix together the sour cream and lime juice.
  6. Garnish finished potatoes with the white onions, remaining peppers, cilantro, and sour cream. Serve hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by Trixxee (My crazy sister is h...)
We like ours quite plain, so you get the real taste of the sweet potato. For mashed, we roast them inthe jacket, mash a bit 9don't use a processor), butter, salt, and pepper. Doesn't get any better.

Ot, you could roast them. Peel them, cut into chunks, olive oil, coarse salt and pepper, and they are wonderful. Sounds like a great party!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by Lorraine (We like ours quite p...)
Sweet potato fries are wonderful - you could do regular or oven fried (our favorite) and they would be great with sausages.

Or the ideas Lorraine and Daphne have given are good. Mashed sweet tatoes are wonderful also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by cjs (Sweet potato fries a...)
I have a recipe for mashed sweet potatoes with Bourbon (not CAH) and another one with a Caribbean twist. I'm pretty sure the Caribbean recipe is from one of the CAH cookbooks. Both were very good. The Cuban salad in Issue 79 was also good. We love sweet potatoes!
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by HomeCulinarian (I have a recipe for ...)
Thanks everyone. Labs, is it possible for one to crave a spicy sweet potato at 9:55am? Yum!
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by Trixxee (Thanks everyone. La...)
yes indeed.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by cjs (yes indeed. [img]/ub...)
LOL! Trixxee, at first, that recipe sounds like an odd combination, but it is SO delicious. Oddly enough (for me), that recipe came from the magazine, Vegetarian Times. Since the cover article, for that issue, was "Sweet Potatoes: Nature's Candy," they had a few other sweet-potato recipes, as well. I just searched on their website, and found the other recipes from that issue: Sweet Potato Scones, Maple-Sweet Potato Cheesecake, Sweet Potato Stir Fry, and Sweet Potato Bisque with Shiitake Mushrooms.

While I was there, I also found the following, which you may also like:

Garlicky Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:
  • 1 large head garlic
  • 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (8 cups)
  • 2 large apples, peeled and diced (2 cups)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut top off garlic head, exposing cloves. Place on piece of foil, and top with chopped rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap loosely with foil, and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until soft and golden.
  2. Place sweet potatoes and apples in pot with enough water to cover. Add salt, cover pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft.
  3. Drain, and reserve 1 cup cooking water. Transfer to serving bowl.
  4. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into sweet potatoes and apples. Add balsamic vinegar, and mash, adding cooking water as necessary to adjust texture for creaminess. Season with pepper,and serve hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mashed Sweet Potatoes? by labradors (LOL! Trixxee, at fi...)
Oh my goodness...this last one has my mouth watering. I guess sweet potatoes are on the menu this week.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.