BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - October 2009
  Re: (...)
I'm going to make this a sticky and over whatever time it takes everyone can contribute a recipe, story, memories of Billy. He was such a large part of Cuisine at Home, I'm sure the powers that be would not be adverse to this.

So, let's get started on the Tribute To Billy J book, shall we?

In September 2005, we had "Last Top-of-the-Hill Party" and Billy picked up madmax (our daughter, Tracie Lee) in Medford and headed on down for it. Altho, he had a good time, Billy was never one for large crowds. But, he seemed to shine at this one because it really was so laid back.

We made this dish the morning they left (I think) and they both enjoyed it so much, I sent the leftovers home with them. Roy Rogers whined for at least a week when he realized he had none!

Shrimp and Grits - Paula Deen
2 servings

2 servings cooked grits
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced tasso ham*
2 tablespoons diced leeks
2 tablespoons diced onion
2 tablespoons diced green peppers
20 medium to large shrimp, peeled and de-veined, with tails on
1 to 2 tablespoons white wine
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Green onion tops, chopped

*Cook's Note: Tasso is a Cajun ham and is often hard to find outside of Louisiana, but you can find it at some specialty gourmet shops or by mail order. If not, you can substitute salt pork, pancetta, or prosciutto, but you will have to beef up your seasonings, as tasso is very flavorful.

Cook grits according to package directions; set aside and keep warm.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tasso and saute until crisp. Add diced vegetables and saute until onions are translucent. Add shrimp and saute for 30 to 45 seconds, or until pink. Remove from the pan and set aside. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine. Slowly add the cream and let reduce until thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Divide grits among 2 serving plates. Line plate edges with shrimp (10 shrimp per serving). Pour sauce over grits.
Garnish with green onion tops.

For a great wedding idea, use martini glasses to serve shrimp and grits, with the grits on the bottom and shrimp and sauce on top.

----

Next????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - October 2009 by cjs (I'm going to make th...)
Jean, you didn't say if you wanted this posted or not, so I decided to post it just in case. BTW, that is our FAVORITE Shrimp and Grits recipe! We LOVE it!

ANYWAY, a while back...summer '08, I think, Billy was down staying with Sharon and Bob. They spent his visit cooking up a storm. One of the dishes he shared pictures of was the Shrimp Sushi Parfait. He was very impressed with this one, and the pictures looked so cool, I HAD to try it. It is a wonderful, pretty dish...we have it often.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp Sushi Parfait

Recipe By :Billy and Sharon
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sushi rice
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 large avocado
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 large limes -- juiced -- divided
salt to taste
2 cups small shrimp -- cooked
1 teaspoon ginger root -- grated
1/4 cup red onion -- finely diced
1/4 cup red pepper -- finely diced
1/4 cup yellow pepper -- finely diced
1 tablespoon coriander -- chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
GARNISH
1 sheet nori -- if desired
18 large shrimp -- (we sauteed them in garlic, butter, and lime juice)

Place rice in strainer and rinse rice until the water comes clean. Place rice and water in a medium pot and place on high heat. Place a lid on the pot and when liquid comes to a boil turn down to a simmer. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and let stand 10 minutes, covered. Place rice in a bowl and add the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt.

Peal avocado and remove pit. Either mash or purée with a food processor. Stir in the sour cream and squeeze in some lime juice. Season with salt.

Roughly chop the shrimp (the small baby shrimp). In a small bowl combine shrimp, ginger, red onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, coriander, lime juice, and sesame oil. Mix to combine.

Into 6 clear glasses (large martini glasses), place 1 Tbs. (15 ml) of the shrimp mixture, followed by a layer of the avocado mousse followed by a layer of the sushi rice. Continue until all the ingredients are used up, preferably with the shrimp as a last layer. Top each with a few julienned nori and 3 large shrimp.

Source:
"Food & Drink, Early Summer 2008"

I wasn't sure about the Mushroom Pork Marsala, so I'll wait on that.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, you didn't say...)
I hope everyone will post whatever they want - if we have duplicates we can always take care of that and still add everyone's notes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by cjs (I hope everyone will...)
I made this myself and it's very easy and so good! How he could never omit the bacon I do not know.

Potato and Leek Soup

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Soups-Stews-Stocks

1 pound leeks
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 slices bacon -- chopped
5 cups chicken stock
2 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and diced
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons fresh chives -- chopped

Trim the green portions of the leek and using a sharp knife, halve the white part lengthwise and rinse well under cold running water. Slice thinly crosswise and set aside.

In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the bacon. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is very soft and has rendered most of its fat. Add the chopped leeks and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes; add chicken stock and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are falling apart and the soup is very flavorful.

Add the heavy cream and adjust the seasoning. At this point you may either puree or serve as is.

NOTE: I sometimes skip the bacon.
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by DFen911 (I made this myself a...)
Here is a recipe that Billy made and recommended highly. I hope that Sugarbrown won't mind that I posted it. It really is a good one! An added bonus: The notes at the end are from Billy.

SugarBrown's Mama's Mama's Banana Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 cup shortening..(can be liquid oil or butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
4 tablespoons sour milk (I use 3 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar)
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
1 pinch salt (1/8 teaspoon)
1 cup nuts (optional) -- chopped

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix all together..Bake in a lightly greased rectangular cake pan (I usually use a pyrex lasagna pan) for about 30 minutes or use the ole' toothpick method.

I frost it with a cream/butter/powdered sugar conglomerate!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Billy wrote:
NOTES : This recipe is sooooooooooo good, that if you haven't made it you are depriving yourself and your family. I don't even frost it, there is no need. A BIG thank you to SugarBrown for posting it. I toothpick it at about 20-25 minutes when I use the cake pans.
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by Mare749 (Here is a recipe tha...)
A few things really stick out in my mind, but unfortunately, I can seem to put my finger on the recipes.Billy was always talking about some kind of roullade, chicken maybe, with a tomato concasse that he was just crazy about. And of course, he loved to make cheesecakes and give them away.

Also, when his plum tree was ready to harvest, he talked about making either plum juice or a plum syrup for a granita. Lastly, the recipe he gave me for chicken and dumplings was his favorite, and for some reason it's not where it's suppose to be. It was Freida's recipe, I believe, and it was very good.
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by Mare749 (A few things really ...)
The chicken roulade recipe was from one of the [Email]C@H[/Email] dinner reviews - one of the first. I have that one, I can post it.

He made a lot of granita and sorbets with his plum juice.

I remember the chicken & dumpling recipe - think I have it also.

----

Is this the one, Maryann???

BILL'S CREAMED CHICKEN & BISCUITS

Recipe By bjcotton/Ambassador) Billy J. Cotton, Meatball, Oregon

1 1/2 tsps butter
1 lg onion, chopped
4 c frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (I use a carrot, corn & green bean mixture)
2 med potatoes, cubed
4 c cooked and shredded chicken (or one whole chicken, cooked, boned, shredded)
2 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 c sour cream
1 c milk
1/2 c pimiento, chopped - optional
2 can Ortega green chiles, chopped - optional
2 can refrigerated biscuits

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 14.5X10.5-inch baking dish.

Blanch the cubed potatoes for 3 min in boiling salted water; add the frozen vegetable and let all blanch for another 1-2 min.
Drain well and set aside.

Heat butter in a large pot; add the onion and saute till tender.
Add the rest of the ingredients, including the potatoes and vegetables, except the biscuits to the onion; heat over medium heat just to warm.
Add salt & pepper to taste.

Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
Place dish on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 20-30 min.
Remove from oven; distribute biscuits, closely, over the top of the casserole.
Bake till biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
or this one - I guess since they are both Billys we can just do both...

CHICKEN & DUMPLING CASSEROLE

Recipe By :Sue Mackey - Taste of Home/(bjcotton/Ambassador) Billy J. Cotton, Meatball, Oregon
Serving Size : 6

1/2 c onion, chopped
1/2 c celery, chopped
2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c butter or margarine
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 c chicken broth
1 c each: green peas and whole kernel corn (optional)
4 c chicken or turkey, cooked & cubed
DUMPLINGS:
2 c Bisquick® baking mix
2 tsp dried basil
2/3 c milk
1 tsp salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery & garlic in butter till tender.
Add flour, salt, basil, pepper & broth; bring to a boil.
Cook & stir for 1 minute; reduce heat.
Add peas and corn (if using); cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in chicken/turkey.
Pour into a greased 9X11" baking dish.

DUMPLINGS:
Combine Bisquick, salt & basil in a bowl.
Stir in milk with a fork till moistened.
Drop by Tablespoons onto casserole.

Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Cover & bake 10 minutes more or till dumplings are done.

GRANITA

Recipe By: (bjcotton) Billy J. Cotton, Ambassador, Meatball, Oregon
Serving Size : 4
BASIC GRANITA FORMULA:
3 c fruit juice
1/2 c sugar
1 c water
2 tsps fresh lemon juice or Limoncello

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar & water and bring to a boil, stirring till the sugar dissolves.
Stir in the fruit juice & pour into a chilled 9X13" metal pan.
Place in freezer and freeze, stirring every 30 min. until the mixture is firm.

Description:
"Marionberry juice is very good using the Limoncello (...so is plum juice)"
Yield:
"4 c"

I think almost everyone gave this one a 10+!!

Chicken Parmesan Roulades with Caesar Salad

For the Roulades-
Prepare and Roll with:
4 boneless -- skinless, chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
8 oz. fresh mozzarella -- cut into eight 2"-long pieces
Combine -- Dredge and Brown in:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 T. minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg -- beaten
1/2 cup olive oil
For the Sauce-
Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil -- Add:
1 cup onion -- chopped
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
3 cups cherry tomatoes -- pulsed in a food processor
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt to taste
1 Serve with:
1/2 cup Parmesan -- shredded

Preheat oven to 400° -- coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set a cooling rack on top. Put the baking sheet in the oven.

Prepare chicken by first trimming off and discarding 1" of the tail end of the breast-it's too narrow to pound out. With the knife blade parallel to the cutting board, horizontally slice each breast in half lengthwise. Pound the meat between plastic wrap to an even thickness of about 1/8". Try not to create any holes or tears. Arrange the filling in the center of the chicken, leaving a 1" margin of meat around it. Wrap the bottom edge over the filling. Make sure the cheese is covered, then fold in the two sides to close. Roll to the end of the cutlet-the meat will stick to itself and seal the roll naturally. Place roulade seam-side down on a plate and season.

Combine panko and parsley. Dredge roulades in flour, then dip into the egg and coat with crumbs. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium-high; add roulades and brown on all sides, 4-5 minutes. Remove roulades from the pan, transfer to the baking sheet in the oven, and roast 10 minutes. Pour off all but 2 T. oil in the pan and return the skillet to medium-high heat.

Saute onion and pepper flakes for the sauce until onions are soft, 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes; season with basil and salt.

Serve roulades with sauce on top, and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Makes: 8 Roulades

Description:
"(Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 21)"

www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by cjs (The chicken roulade ...)
Here is one that I had from Billy -

Bacon Crisps

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers/Drinks

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound sliced bacon -- cut in half
1 sleeve Waverly Wafers or other buttery
rectangular crackers

Preheat the oven to 250F.

Place 1 teaspoon of the cheese on each cracker

and wrap tightly with a strip of bacon (no toothpick required!). Place the
wrapped crackers on a broiler rack on a baking sheet and put the baking
sheet on the oven rack; bake for 2 hours, or until the bacon is done. 1)
Do not turn. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot or at room temperature.

NOTE: We were a little impatient during our testing and baked these at
350°F for about 40 minutes, with good results.

Source:
"bjcotton"
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Num
er=17901&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1"

NOTES : These can be frozen after they're cooked. Place the frozen
crisps on a baking sheet and reheat them for 5 minutes in
a 350°F oven.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by esgunn (Here is one that I h...)
Here is one that really stuck in my head that he and his BIL liked. I had to go search for it...

I finally made this for Paul for supper Thursday. I changed the quantity of the ingredients substantially because he is a big eater. I also changed some of the wording slightly. In two places in the Directions it mentioned adding "seasonings", but other than the lemon zest, garlic and perhaps red pepper flakes there was no seasonings. Anyway, I'll post the recipe as I modified it. The first paragraph of the Directions is for some of the beginning cooks I deal with. I don't know how Paul would have rated it except for, "You can make that anytime." I would give it an 8+:

Primavera with Seared Seafood

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish-Shellfish-Seafood

4 tablespoons olive oil -- divided
12 jumbo shrimp
12 large sea scallops
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup asparagus tips
1/2 cup diced onion or to taste
1/2 cup bell pepper -- (yellow and/or orange)
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes to taste
6 ounces linguine more or less as desired -- or tagliatelle
7 ounces goat cheese
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes -- halved
3/4 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 small lemon -- cut into 2 wedges

Prepare all ingredients first so they are ready to be added to the recipe.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.

Toss the seafood, and zest in 2 tablespoons of oil and set aside.

Sweat the broccoli, asparagus, onion, and bell pepper in 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until the onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes., then add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté 1-2 minute longer.

Cook the pasta in boiling water.

Add 1/2-1 cup of the pasta water to the vegetables and simmer until they are crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes.

Stir in the goat cheese until melted, then add the tomatoes, peas, and parsley.

Transfer the cooked pasta from the water to the pan using tongs; toss to coat with sauce. Keep the pasta warm over very low heat.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high. Sear the scallops until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn them over, add the shrimp, and cook the seafood for an additional 4-5 minutes or just until the scallops and shrimp are firm.

To serve, divide the pasta and vegetables between 4 plates, top with seafood, garnish with lemons.

Source:
"CAH Issue 63"

--------------------
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: BILLY'S TRIBUTE BOOK - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE by esgunn (Here is one that rea...)
Will all these be included in a book of some kind??
If so it's going to be the best little collection of food and love
Cis
Empress for Life