Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9?
  Re: (...)
It is Friday, isn't it? What's everyone up to? I don't have the foggiest idea, so will look for something from you all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by cjs (It is Friday, isn't ...)
Shall find out what's for dinner tonight once I get to the store. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by labradors (Shall find out what'...)
Well, Rob and Jean, you aren't much help! I was checking on this for ideas myself. I might make those meatballs in the paprika sauce that Daphne chose for her b'day dinner in Feb. I absolutely loved them. Or maybe my old standby, the spinach fetuccine with greek tomato salsa. Hmmmm, what am I in the mood for??
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by labradors (Shall find out what'...)
I'm baking cod with buttered bread crumbs, homemade mac and cheese, and broccoli. Good ol' comfort food for a rainy, dreary day. We're even going to have dessert tonight. My favorite ice cream shop has pumpkin ice cream this week. Yummm....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by Mare749 (I'm baking cod with ...)
Pumpkin ice cream - MARYANN!! I wonder how adding pumpkin to the cream cheese ice cream would work......oh my

"the spinach fetuccine with greek tomato salsa." now doesn't that sound good - do we have that recipe??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by Mare749 (I'm baking cod with ...)
Sorry, Theresa. Just did some searching, as well. Definitely making something with chicken. Considered Jean's coffee/cinnamon rub, but my taste buds keep telling me "curry, curry, curry," so I think I'll make some kind of chicken curry or vindaloo.

Right now, this looks like the recipe I'll try, but I'm not sure about getting fenugreek seeds here. I used to have that in the States, but can't find it now. I know the stores, here, don't sell it in the regular spice aisle, but I believe I've seen it in a section for herbal teas.

Chicken Vindaloo

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tsp whole cumin seeds
  • 1 Tsp black peppercorns
  • 1 Tsp cardamom seeds
  • 4 Inches stick cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 Tsp (rounded) whole black mustard seeds
  • 1 Tsp whole fenugreek seeds
  • 5 Tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 Tsp salt
  • 1 Tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tsp light brown sugar
  • 2/3 Cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into half-rings
  • 6 Tbsp + 2 Tsp water
  • 3/4 Inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp ground coriander seeds
  • 1/2 Tsp ground turmeric
  • 2 Lb boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 Cup tomato sauce
  • 9 Oz new potatoes, peeled and quartered
Instructions:
For the vindaloo paste
  1. Grind cumin seeds, black pepper, cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds together in a spice grinder. In a small bowl, combine ground spices, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Fry onions, stirring frequently, until they are a rich, dark brown. Remove onions with a slotted spoon and put them in a blender. Turn off the heat, but do not discard the oil. Add 3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp water (or more if necessary) to the onions and blend until you have a smooth paste. Add this onion paste to the spices in the bowl.
Assembly:
  1. Put the ginger and garlic in a blender. Add 3 Tbsp + 1 Tsp water and blend until you have a smooth paste.
  2. Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add the ginger!garlic paste. Stir until the paste browns slightly. Add the coriander and turmeric. Stir a few seconds. Add the chicken, a little at a time, and brown lightly.
  3. Add the vindaloo paste, tomato sauce and potatoes to the chicken in the saucepan. Stir and bring to a slight boil.
  4. Cover the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about an hour, or until potatoes are tender.
  5. Serve over rice.
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by cjs (Pumpkin ice cream - ...)
Jean! You crack me up! You ask about this everytime I mention it. It is from the Cuisine For Two, Simple, Healthy and Delicious cookbook. The actual title is salt and pepper tofu with spinach fettuccine and tomato oregano salsa. I often skip the tofu and serve it with grilled chicken or schnitzel. If you don't have the book, I can post the recipe.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by cjs (Pumpkin ice cream - ...)
Quote:

Pumpkin ice cream - MARYANN!! I wonder how adding pumpkin to the cream cheese ice cream would work......oh my

Pumpkin-pie ice cream is wonderful. A creamery in Pottstown, PA used to sell that, and it was one of my favourites of theirs. The other was their black-raspberry ice cream.
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Not sure here either. Looking for inspiration.
  Re: Re: Dinner - T.G.I.F. 10/9? by HomeCulinarian (Not sure here either...)
I'm going out to thai. Steve is making hamburgers for himself and the kids...
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.