Stew variation for beef or venison--very good!
  Re: (...)
The following is a short rib recipe given to me by Lorraine. I have made it a few times and it has been a huge hit with the whole family. It makes a lot of really tasty gravy and last time I had about 2 cups leftover that I put in the freezer. So, when I made venison stew, I took out that gravy and added it to the pot.
Most excellent!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

4 lbs beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 heads of garlic
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 large onion , coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3/4 cup dry red wine
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp canned chipotle peppers, or to taste
1/4 cup each, molasses, soya sauce
4 cups beef or chicken stock or water

Preheat oven to 350F.

Trim fat from ribs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of oil over medium high heat. Add ribs in single layer without crowding. Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to large baking dish in single layer.
Peel 1 head of garlic, chop cloves coarsely.
Add 1 Tbsp oil to same skillet over medium heat, add carrots, onions, and chopped garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened. 3-4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add wine, scraping up browned bits from skillet. Add vinegar, chipotle peppers, molasses, soya sauce, and stock or water. Bring to boil. Pour mixture over ribs in baking dish: they should be just covered. Cover tightly with foil or lid. Bake in oven about 2 1/2 hours, or until tender.
Meanwhile, cut enough off tops of remaining two heads of garlic to expose cloves. Place upright in small baking dish. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbsp oil. Place in oven, roast about 45 minutes or until soft. ( I do them in foil) When cool, squeeze out garlic, discarding skin.
Transfer ribs to serving dish using slotted spoon. Keep warm. Pour cooking liquid into large skillet, skim fat from surface. Boil rapidly over high heat about 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in roasted garlic. Pour sauce over ribs.
Serves 4-6.

--------------------
So whether you use the original recipe and make short ribs or just use the gravy part for pot roast, beef stew, or venison stew as I did, it will be amazing.

Thanks again, Lorraine!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Mare749 (The following is a s...)
Thanks, Maryann! This sounds amazing! I'll be making this VERY soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Mare749 (The following is a s...)
Oh, I bet this is good! Reminds me a little of my mahogany stew w/red wine and hoisin. A little asian twist to both recipes.
  Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Trixxee (Oh, I bet this is go...)
Trixxee, that's another one I want to be trying very soon. It sounded so good when you posted it and I have copied it.

Daphne, when I made the venison stew, I also added some chunked up veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions, etc. to the pot.
Maryann

Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Mare749 (Trixxee, that's anot...)
Yea, I'm going to have this next week! With all the venison in the freezer, I've got plenty to work with, that's for sure...three deer already and the regular season doesn't start until next weekend!

I want to try Trixxee's stew very soon also! With your advice, Maryann, I'm thinking I'll use venison for Trixxee's recipe also!

The night time temps are getting close to soup and stew season!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Gourmet_Mom (Yea, I'm going to ha...)
I'm not going to say I haven't made Lorraine's dish ('cause someone will remember I did ) but it sure sounds good.

I sure miss having access to venison - darn kids grow up and go in different directions. No rabbit, no quail, no pheasant, crap.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by cjs (I'm not going to say...)
Jean, would you prefer a ham, tenderloin, or shoulder? If postage is not too high and the Lowes in Southport still carries dry ice, I could ***** you some...we have plenty, that's for sure...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, would you pref...)
Oh Daphne, what a nice offer - but, let us get back there and we'll do our darndest to clean out the freezer!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by cjs (Oh Daphne, what a ni...)
Gee, I didn't realize you were on the go. Hunting season goes to January first. Plus, doe is better than buck IMHO. They won't get those until later in the season.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Stew variation for beef or venison--very good! by Gourmet_Mom (Gee, I didn't realiz...)
Bumping this up for Lorraine to see.
Maryann