Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
  Re: (...)
There was a Soup recipe in form a old issue of the magazine I like very much but some how lost. Does any one have a copy.
  Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by kpc53 (There was a Soup rec...)
It's in the Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides----one of MY favorite soups-----hubby not so keen though!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by Roxanne 21 (It's in the Splendid...)
I have several Butternut Squash Soup recipes in MC9, but not this one. I can't get to it right now, but if you can wait until tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to type it in for you. That is, if someone else doesn't get to it before I do...this is a very helpful group!

Did I tell you all, that book showed up in the bottom of my closet when I cleaned it out this summer! I was soooo tickled. And no Jean, your Issue #60 was not with it...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (I have several Butte...)
I'll bet.

Let me go see if I can find it - my mind is mush, so may not get it typed in today. But, don't give up on us, kpc.

----
Well, again the memory has flown somewhere - I did make this and here it is. We did love it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butternut Squash Soup (Splendid Soup Recipes)

Saute in 2 TBS each olive oil and unsalted butter:
1 cup onion -- diced
1 TBS garlic -- minced
2 tsp minced fresh sage (I had to use a bit of dried)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (will use less next time)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon (used a bit more-love cinnamon!!)
-----
Stir in and add
1/4 cup brandy
8 cups butternut squash -- peeled, seeded, cut into 1" chunks
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
Finish with:
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used sour cream-but less)
Salt and pepper to taste
Toast -- sprinkle with and broil:
8 baguette slices -- toasted
1 cup Gruyere cheese -- shredded
Romesco sauce

Saute onion, garlic, sage, sugar, pepper flakes and cinnamon in oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat, Cook until onion is soft, about 10 minutes.

Stir in brandy and cook for 1 minute; add the squash, broth, and wine. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender. Return to the pot.

Finish soup with cream, salt and pepper. Preheat broiler to High.

Toast baguette slices on a baking sheet under the broiler: sprinkle with cheese, then broil again to melt cheese, 1-2 minutes. Top each serving with a baguette and drizzle with Romesco sauce.

Romesco sauce

Pulse:
1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
2 TBS white wine vinegar (I used sherry vinegar---just because I have it)
Salt and red pepper flakes
Process in a food processor until sauce-like.
Keeps for one week chilled.

I see this sauce used for many delights!!! Totally great with cooked shrimp!

Description:
"Made this 10/15/06 - wonderful and really good with Sausage-Apple Empanadas, pg. 13 of Splendid soups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by cjs (I'll bet. [img]/ubbt...)
Thanks that looks like the one I was thinking of . My wife really liked it and I was not high on her list when I tolder I could not find the recipe.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by kpc53 (Thanks that looks li...)
Welcome back to the good graces of the family again!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by cjs (Welcome back to the ...)
Thanks for posting it, Jean. We have a "Soup Bar' as a station for an upcoming wedding, and butternut soup is on it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by Lorraine (Thanks for posting i...)
You had me at the brandy...love cooking with the stuff! Then you nailed it with the wine and made the final sale with the cream and cheese toast! And I just so happen to have everything to make this! Those butternuts are just begging to be cooked out there...all alone in the greenhouse! I'm trying the "eat out of your pantry, freezer, and fridge" thing for as long as I can last...this is perfect! I'm wondering, what would be the better meat with this: roast pork or something with some Italian Sausage? I've got chicken also, but for some reason, I always think pork when I think butternut squash. Although, if this is as good as it sounds, I'll probably make it for a starter for Thanksgiving Dinner.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (You had me at the br...)
Daphne, I don't know if you can get away with a meatless dinner, but we just have soup with a salad or fruit quite often.(I just don't mention it till we're sitting down to eat... ) The Sausage-Apple Empanadas were really good with it.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Soup Recipe by cjs (Daphne, I don't know...)
The "boys" would be furious if I pulled that on them...LOL! I'll check out the empanadas. Thanks!
Daphne