"Jewish Apple Cake"
  Re: (...)
I don't know what got me thinking about this recipe my grandmother always made, maybe just the time of year, but this is so good and thought I'd share. Lots of people have made it (it's all over the internet but I have it in her handwriting from 35 years ago so it's special and tried and true to me) and there are variations which may be very good, but this is awesome. Try it sometime.

Jewish Apple Cake:
3 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup orange juice
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tsp. baking powder
Combine these ingredients and mix. Set aside. In another bowl mix the following:
3-4 medium apples peeled and sliced thin
2 tsp.cinnamon
3 Tbsp. sugar
Grease and flour bundt cake pan. Layer beginning with batter then apples, batter then apples, and ending with batter. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.
  Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by Trixxee (I don't know what go...)
OMG...YS will be all over this! Copied and saved...but no apples in the pantry right now. I'm guessing when I "describe" the recipe to William and YS, apples will appear in my pantry...LOL! I'll let you know when....

Great recipe...thanks, Trixxee!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by Gourmet_Mom (OMG...YS will be all...)
Trix what type of apple was her favorite to use? Some are sweet and some more tart. This recipes looks really good and I'd like to make it this weekend and share with co-workers on Monday
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by DFen911 (Trix what type of ap...)
Sounds yummy. We have a birthday coming up in the office where I'll need to bring in something and this looks like a good candidate. Just curious about what makes this recipe Jewish?
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by HomeCulinarian (Sounds yummy. We ha...)
Oops...she used Granny Smith and I have too.

You know, I have no idea of what makes it "Jewish" and have been asked that question many times over the years. But it sure is good with a cup of coffee or tea in the morning or at night!

Be careful with a dark nonstick pan - I'd lessen the cooking time by a few minutes. I wish I had her old angel food cake pan.
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by Trixxee (Oops...she used Gran...)
Thanks for the recipe, I have copied it to my Living Cookbook. In so far as to why Jewish, maybe because it could be served with either meat or dairy (except for passover) since it contains neither? Just a thought.
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by Cubangirl (Thanks for the recip...)
Sounds great. I recently made Apfel Kuchen from my great-grandmother's recipe, but that's something very different - and not Jewish.

This one may be Jewish just because that's who happened to make it - not, necessarily, because of the ingredients. It certainly would not have been for Passover due to the presence of baking powder - a leavening agent.

Shall have to try this, but it will required some adjustments, since I don't have any bundt or tube pans.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by labradors (Sounds great. I rec...)
Rob! I have been searching for a recipe for an apple cheesecake type thing my German mom used to make! Does the apfel kuchen have sort of a cheesecake like filling?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by chef_Tab (Rob! I have been sea...)
For this recipe, could one substitute applesauce for some or all of the oil? If yes, what's the ratio?
  Re: Re: "Jewish Apple Cake" by chef_Tab (Rob! I have been sea...)
Quote:

Rob! I have been searching for a recipe for an apple cheesecake type thing my German mom used to make! Does the apfel kuchen have sort of a cheesecake like filling?

I'd like to know the answer to that one too!

Rob, my mom used to make an apple cake very similar to the one that Trixxee posted, except that it had pecans in it. She made it in a 9X13 baking pan and cut it into squares. Just adjust the baking time.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."