Creamy Zucchini Casserole
  Re: (...)
This is one of those recipes from "back in the day" when my mom got her first microwave. The Illuminating Company used to have cooking classes back then that were actually quite good and Mom used to enjoy attending. As more families were buying microwaves for home use, they added classes to teach people how to use them. This is one of the recipes.

Since I'm always trying to save a few calories (without sacrificing too much of the taste, of course!) I made a few changes of my own that work for us. I cut the butter to 2 T. total and use it to saute the zucchini. I put all the stuffing in at once (so no topping) and use fat-free plain yogurt or 1% milk, instead of sour cream, and use FF cream of something soup. We think it tastes just fine.

My one year old grandson, Tommy, just had his first taste of it tonight and ate like a little piggy!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Zucchini Casserole

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 cups sliced zucchini or yellow squash (some of each is nice)
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 T. butter
1 1/2 cups seasoned stuffing mix (I use a box of Stove Top)
1 10 oz. can cream of anything soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup seasoned stuffing mix (for topping)

Saute zucchini and onion in 2 T. butter. Stir in 1-1/2 cups stuffing mix. Combine soup and sour cream. Stir in mixture. Turn into greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Toss remaining stuffing mix with 2 T. melted butter and sprinkle over casserole. Microwave for 15 minutes until bubbling.

NOTES : I prefer to bake this in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes to brown.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by Mare749 (This is one of those...)
This sounds good Maryann...I'm going to send a copy to baby girl. This is right up her alley!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds good Mar...)
That sounds so good, like the perfect side dish with a roast chicken. I especially like the adaptations you made. Thanks for sharing this one!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by chef_Tab (That sounds so good,...)
That does sound good.

Theresa, I wonder how it would be with pulled roasted chicken IN the casserole to make the whole thing a complete dinner instead of just a side. Would have to increase it to a two-quart casserole, thoough, or 2.5, depending upon the amount of chicken added.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by labradors (That does sound good...)
I bet that would make a complete meal, Labs. Maryann, this sounds like a great travel recipe - copied here too! thanks.

By the way, I'll just toss this out - is the sodium high in purchased stuffing mix? I've never bought it figuring it is. I cut stale bread in little cubes, spray the cubes on a sheet pan with cooking spray (or a little oil) and sprinkle with poultry seasoning & toss together. Bake till golden crispy. Makes great stuffing mix, probably cheaper too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by cjs (I bet that would mak...)
I'm not sure about the sodium, Jean. Guess it's something I should pay more attention to. I like your idea though and you don't need to keep stuffing mix on hand that way. The stuffing mix does have chicken flavoring, onions, garlic, etc. so you might want to up the flavors a bit.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by labradors (That does sound good...)
I like the way you think, Rob! Adding pulled chicken and making it a complete casserole! And I am seeing some fresh homeade cranberry sauce on the side. I may be getting a little too excited for Thanksgiving.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by cjs (I bet that would mak...)
This year, I'm going to make my dressing from 18 hour bread. Just seems like it would be great.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by Dismc (This year, I'm going...)
oh yeah!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Creamy Zucchini Casserole by cjs (oh yeah!! [img]/ubbt...)
You know, Labs, I was reminded of an old chicken casserole that baby girl just LOVES when I read this! Great idea...I'll pass that along.

I LOVE your idea about the stuffing, Jean. I'll be trying that this Thanksgiving. It's finally gotten cool enough here to start making bread again. I can't wait!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.