Cracking cheesecake
  Re: (...)
For guests this weekend, I made a beautiful chocolate-amaretto cheesecake. After baking I allowed it to sit in the oven with the door open to cool it slowly, and when I took it out a huge crevice was in the top of the cake. It's about halfway over and spreading to the other side...

I'm not nuts about having a perfect presentation, but I didn't want it to look like this! I'll dollop whipped cream on the top of each slice, and it will look fine, but since I don't make a lot of cheesecakes can anyone tell me how to avoid this little cosmetic defect the next time?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Cracking cheesecake by foodfiend (For guests this week...)
I HATE when that happens! The only things I can think of right now are:

Is this a new recipe? If so, compare temps to proven recipes.
Is your oven calibrated?
Did you have it in a water bath?
Finally, has it completely cooled? I have had a crack before that ALMOST went away after it cooled. It was not perfect, but it looked a LOT better after cooling.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by Gourmet_Mom (I HATE when that hap...)
Where's PJ when you really need her?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by cjs (Where's PJ when you ...)
Well, the crack "traveled" overnight and practically splits the cake in two! Good news- one couple cancelled so they don't have to see it and our single bachelor friend will be the only other guest there and since he eats either take-out or frozen entrees, he will not care a whit about the appearance! I'm going to slice it before serving, garnish with whipped topping and toasted, sliced almonds. It smells heavenly.

Daphne, water bath? The recipe didn't call for it, and that may have done the trick. I'll have to note it in the recipe for next time. I use an oven thermometer, so that part should have been okay. And 325F seems to be a fairly common temp for baking a cheesecake. Yes, I'll definitely try the water bath next time.

Meanwhile, I have a huge cheesecake which the three of us will be nibbling on all weekend at the lake house... quite the problem, huh?!?!?

Thanks for the advice!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by foodfiend (Well, the crack "tra...)
If it's really in the middle, just use that as the first cutting line for slicing the cake. Then, instead of trying to impress everyone with the looks of the whole cake, impress them with the presentation of the individual servings and, especially, with the flavour!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by labradors (If it's really in th...)
I always use a water bath now....whether the recipe calls for it or not. I had a bookmark for a cheesecake site that had a lot of advice on it. If I can find my old bookmarks somewhere, I'll post it for you. Lots of technique, trouble shooting, and oodles of recipes!

Yes, disposing of a whole cheesecake is a hard job, but somebody's got to do it...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by Gourmet_Mom (I always use a water...)
I'm with Daphne on this, a water bath makes a big difference. I also put pan of water on the bottom of the stove for added moisture.

MMMmMMmm it's time for pumpkin cheesecake with caramel sauce
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by DFen911 (I'm with Daphne on t...)
Well, this was an incredibly good cheesecake! I doctored an old Eating Well recipe a bit and... wow... A few more little tweaks (fortunately I will be making another to take to my parents' in a few weeks) and I can post it.

I served the cake in slices, with the whipped cream on top, but didn't have the toasted sliced almonds in the freezer that I thought I did (yet, I have probably a half pound in the freezer at home). Yes, Labs, the flavor was quite impressive even if the presentation was lacking!

Daphne, if you can find the info I would appreciate it (don't need it for 2 weeks, though)

Pumpkin cheesecake with caramel sauce, Denise? I think that will have to be Thanksgiving dessert!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by foodfiend (Well, this was an in...)
I can't believe how lucky I was. I actually remembered the name of the girl and went right to it! Here you go: Diana's Desserts

If you dare, click on her recipe link...She's got more than just cheesecakes on here! BTW, there's 65 different cheesecake recipes alone!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cracking cheesecake by Gourmet_Mom (I can't believe how ...)
oh geez, thanks a lot Daphne....

I knew I'd be in trouble going there, but I did see something that my mom always did to heat her dinner rolls.

"It is not unusual for one-half or one-third of a loaf of bread to go uneaten at a meal. When you reach for the leftover the next day, you find that it has begun to go stale. Revive stale bread by placing it inside a brown paper bag, seal the bag, and moisten a portion of the outside of the bag with water. After placing it in a preheated 350-degree oven for about five minutes, the bread will emerge warm and soft."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com