Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16
  Re: (...)
We're going out to dinner (again!! three times in one week is absoultely unheard of in my life!!). Local place is having a mushroom extravaganza and mushrooms are one of Roy's favorite foods in the world, so I signed us up. Mushrooms are huge around here, you can't imagine all the types. I wish I had learned how to pick them - they scare the bejesus out of me.

What are you all up?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by cjs (We're going out to d...)
Am thawing out two chicken legs that were in the freezer. Shall bake the chicken, make some spaghetti Alfredo, then add the pulled chicken to the Alfredo so there's more protein in the meal. After that, I'll use up the leftovers from this so I won't have to make anything new or special before Sunday's trip.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by labradors (Am thawing out two c...)
We will probably have leftover BBQ pork sandwiches on nice crusty rolls and some cole slaw. Maybe a few french fries on the side...

Labs, did you get the C@H email today? Good sounding recipe for Chicken Divan Casserole with Mushrooms and it's only for 2 servings.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by Mare749 (We will probably hav...)
I copied that one!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by cjs (I copied that one!!...)
Gee, I don't remember seeing that post. I'll have to double check. We love chicken divan and I haven't made it in a while.

Jean, I am so envious! I just love mushrooms and have not had the opportunity to try very many varieties.

I THINK I'm making the Butternut Squash Soup and thinking about Dan Raneri's Italian Sausage Stuffing for a side and some steamed broccoli.

This all depends on my stomach...it's been out of sorts this afternoon. The boys are staying at the camp tonight....regular hunting season starts tomorrow. If this thing doesn't settle down, I'm going to call them and tell them not to come home to eat. They can eat the HUGE pot of soup they made out there the other day and make something else tomorrow for lunch. They were really tickled with it. The ham they brought me Saturday night didn't thaw in time for me to break it down and make Maryann's stew Sunday, so they took it out to the camp Monday and BBQ'ed it for lunch. They took the leftovers from that and added it to our regular homemade soup to substitute for the hamburger.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by Gourmet_Mom (Gee, I don't remembe...)
Maryann,

I got the recipe, but not by email since I don't subscribe to the recipes that way. I use RSS, instead, for that kind of thing. That way, it's not yet another thing coming in via my email.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by labradors (Maryann,[br][br]I go...)
I just checked...I didn't get mine. The last one I got was the Fall pies from October 8th.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by Gourmet_Mom (I just checked...I d...)
Here you go everyone who didn't get it - and not a can of soup in sight.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Divan Casserole with Mushrooms & Crumb Topping

For the sauce -
1/4 cup minced shallot
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 egg yolk -- lightly beaten
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
For the filling -
1 1/2 cups button mushrooms -- halved
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 slice rye bread -- toasted, torn
1 cup cubed rotisserie chicken
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
For the topping -
2 slices rye bread -- buttered

Preheat oven to 375°.

Sauté shallots and curry powder in 1 Tbsp. butter in a saucepan over medium heat until shallots are softened, about 2 minutes. Add flour; cook 1 minute.

Whisk milk and broth into the pan; simmer over medium-high heat, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes.

Whisk some of hot sauce into egg yolk. Stir yolk mixture back into sauce. Reduce heat to low; cook sauce for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove sauce from heat, stir in lemon juice, salt, and cayenne.

Sauté mushrooms, salt, and pepper and seasonings in 1 Tbsp. butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until mushrooms are browned, about 5 minutes.

Divide toasted bread, chicken, broccoli, and mushrooms between two 3-cup casserole dishes. Pour half the sauce over each casserole; top each with Cheddar.

Process remaining 2 slices rye bread in a food processor to make coarse crumbs (see Test Kitchen Tip), then divide between the casseroles. Place dishes on a baking sheet; bake until brown and bubbly, 35-40 minutes

Description:
"Making the lightly curried sauce from scratch transports this casserole a long way from the once-popular versions made with canned soup."
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2009/10/15/chicken-divan/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday Night Dinner??? 10/16 by cjs (Here you go everyone...)
Thanks Jean! Copied and saved!
Daphne