Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans??
  Re: (...)
We're having a very healthy, yummy dinner that we haven't had forever! Roasted salmon (that Roy caught a couple months ago) and some kind of rice dish.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by cjs (We're having a very ...)
oooo. Fresh caught salmon sounds wonderful! I'm making a crockpot recipe with pork tenderloin braised in milk and herbs, with a wild rice pilaf and green vegetable.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by HomeCulinarian (oooo. Fresh caught s...)
Both of your meals sound good to me. Jeannette, do you have a recipe you follow for that pork tenderloin dish?

We are having a gorgeous "indian summer" day here, so Ron will be grilling some nice rib-eyes and sweet potatoes. I'm thinking broccoli too. Oh, and we have leftover pumpkin pie that I made the other day. Yummy!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by Mare749 (Both of your meals s...)
From the "not your mother's slow cooker cookbook" I'm making this for the first time so I'll let you know if we liked it. It's really easy.
Pork Tenderloin Braised in Milk with Fresh Herbs
1/4 cup olive oil
2.5 # pork tenderloin, trimmed and blotted dry
1 T minced fresh oregano
1 T minced fresh tarragon
2 t minced fresh rosemary
1.75 t salt
8 grinds of black pepper
2 to 2.25 cups hot whole milk

In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the oil until very hot. Add the meat and cook until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the herbs, salt & pepper. Add the milk; it should come halfway up the sides of the pork. Cover and cook on low until the pork is fork tender; 5 to 6.5 hours.

Transfer the pork to a warm platter and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the roast into 1/2 thick slices and spoon over the creamy, thick sauce.
Serves 6

The notes say this recipe was originally in "The Lewis and Clark Cookbook"
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by HomeCulinarian (From the "not your m...)
Thanks! I will be very interested to hear how that turns out. Also, if the sauce actually gets creamy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by HomeCulinarian (From the "not your m...)
Oh - I just picked that book up from the Library. I am anxious to look through it. Haven't had time yet. Please let us know how it is. There is another version of that book too - Entertaining.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by esgunn (Oh - I just picked t...)
OOoo, I just ordered the Slow Cooker Menus from C@H. One for me and one each for the girls. Casey says she loves her slow cooker. I don't own one, BUT I'm going to get one this weekend. We're only two, so what size should I get??
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by farnfam (OOoo, I just ordered...)
I would get a full sized oval one if I were getting a new one. Mine is round and "regular" sized and a few years old.
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by HomeCulinarian (I would get a full s...)
I have two - one large one (that I find I use less and less) and one that I use quite often - 4 qt. Makes a great amount for Roy and me with leftovers.

I ordered the book also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday, 10/22, Dinner Plans?? by cjs (I have two - one lar...)
Is the book new?

I'm being so lazy and unmotivated. I'm sauteing some panko parmesan crusted chicken to add to a chopped salad with romaine, cucumber, mushrooms, radish, kalamata olives, onions and feta. A garlic bread baguette on the side.