Simple Baked Butternut Squash
  Re: (...)
I didn't think I was a winter squash fan. It seems like all mashed and served with butter type recipes would be better as a mashed potato side dish. But, I tried this baked one, cuz Jame was just begging for butternut squash.
It turned out that this was very tasty and I loved it.

Halve butternut squash, clean out seeds. Thickly coat cut sides with butter, sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar and ground ginger. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and serve in shell (skin on)
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by farnfam (I didn't think I was...)
Join our love butternut squash club, Cis!!

I know I posted this a long time ago, but IF you have any leftovers these gratins are just wonderful and healthy to boot!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LEEK GRATINS*****

1 butternut squash -- (2-pound) halved lengthwise and seeded
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon butter
4 cups finely chopped leek (about 6 large)
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Dash ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese -- (1 ounce)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place squash halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until tender. Cool 30 minutes. Scoop out pulp, and mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth.

Reduce oven temperature to 325°. (350F.)

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Melt butter in pan. Add leek; cover and cook 20 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Reduce heat to medium-low; uncover and cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.

Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolk) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add squash and leek; stir until well combined. Divide the squash mixture evenly among 6 (6-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Cover pan with foil; bake at 350° or 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and place the ramekins on a baking sheet.

Sprinkle 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese over each ramekin.

Preheat broiler.

Broil gratins for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: 1 gratin)

Cooking Light, DECEMBER 2004
Description:
"The gratins freeze well also! 3 points"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by cjs (Join our love butter...)
Jean, I second the recipe for the gratins-- it is wonderful. I planted some old (probably 4 or 5 years) b'nut squash seeds in the garden this year without hope of anything and was surprised with a dozen large ones. I love it when that kind of thing happens!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by foodfiend (Jean, I second the r...)
Cis, as good as the gratins are, you have GOT to try Jean's Roasted Butternut Squash Penne al Burro! It is truly divine! Words can not describe how incredible this dish is! And I'm not exaggerating!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, as good as the ...)
Cis, I usually bake it the way you mentioned, without the ginger. I'll have to try it with the ginger. Daphne, thanks, I had forgotten about that recipe!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by Lorraine (Cis, I usually bake ...)
me too - need to make it again!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by cjs (me too - need to mak...)
I celebrated having my oven last night with baked acorn squash. I put them cutside down in the baking dish with water, salt, and a chai teabag under each half. Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by Harborwitch (I celebrated having ...)
Now isn't that a neat idea, Sharon! Thanks, I'll have to try that! Also a fan of butternut squash here. Let's not forget the roasted butternut squash soup. Yum!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Simple Baked Butternut Squash by Mare749 (Now isn't that a nea...)
I just received 5 butternut squashes from my sister yesterday. She suggested I bake them and then freeze them to use through the winter. We will make some of this soup, though.