Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe?
  Re: (...)
Well, Trixxee started something with mentioning this in another post. It's fall and I am craving heartier meals, so linguine w/ clam sauce is on the list.

The recipe I have now uses canned cream-of-mushroom soup, which I find a little pasty and heavy. I would love to find another-- any suggestions???
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by foodfiend (Well, Trixxee starte...)
I have only tried one. We tried it and liked it, so we stuck with this one. This is our favorite...and I couldn't tell you where it came from. I think it came from a family member. We like it! Now that you mention it, I have not made this in a VERY long time. I made it one time with some clams that were not as high quality as I was used to and stopped making it. Time to make it again!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Linguine With White Clam Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
10 ounces clams -- undrained
2 tablespoons light butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley -- chopped
1 teaspoon thyme -- chopped
1/8 teaspoon pepper
6 1/2 ounces clams -- drained and minced
8 ounces linguine -- cooked and drained
1 sprig thyme -- optional

Drain baby clams in a sieve over a bowl, reserving juice. Heat butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and saute 1 minute. Stir in flour. Stir in the reserved clam juice, wine, chopped parsley, chopped thyme, and pepper, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the baby clams and the minced clams, and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve clam sauce over pasta. Garnish with thyme sprigs or parsley, if desired.

Description:
"This is an excellent dish, that your guests will think you slaved over for hours!"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (I have only tried on...)
Here's a family favorite of ours. I use whatever clams I can get my hands on - fresh, whole, chopped, etc,

CLAM LINGUINE

2 cans chopped clams -- (6-1/2 oz. each)
1 Pinch red-pepper flakes
4 T. olive oil
2 medium cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
8 oz. linguine -- cooked according to package directions
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Reserving the broth drain the clams and set aside.

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add the clam broth, the clams and salt; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley.

Drain the pasta and put into the pan with the clam sauce; stir to coat. Add the parmesan and several grindings of black pepper.
Stir for about 1 minute until the cheese melts and thickens the sauce. Serve immediately,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by cjs (Here's a family favo...)
Thanks guys, both of these recipes look much better than the heavy one I had been using. Now the decision is which one to make tonight?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by foodfiend (Well, Trixxee starte...)
Vicci, I found this one in my MC program. Haven't tried it, but probably will now that you put the idea in my head.

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

Recipe By :Rebecca A. Stone-Danahy, Deerfield Beach, Fla.
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : March '98 Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 (10-ounce) can whole baby clams -- undrained
2 tablespoons light butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
OR
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 (6 1/2-ounce) can minced clams -- drained
4 cups hot cooked linguine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Drain baby clams in a sieve over a bowl, reserving juice.

Heat butter and olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in flour. Stir in the reserved clam juice, wine, chopped parsley, chopped thyme, and pepper, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the baby clams and the minced clams, and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve clam sauce over pasta. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

Serving Size: 1 cup pasta and about 1/2 cup sauce

Source:
"Cooking Light, March 1998, p.130"
Copyright:
"© Cooking Light"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 457 Calories; 10g Fat (20.2% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 48g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 170mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by Mare749 (Vicci, I found this ...)
Maryann, looking at your recipe, I think I figured out where mine came from. Back when I wasn't working, I was a CL subscriber. I spent many days raiding their archives online. I'm thinking this was one from their site...ours are just too similar. It's VERY good!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, looking at ...)
Okay, because I didn't have any white wine, I tried Jean's contribution to my request first and it was wonderful!

Much lighter in texture than the recipe I had been using (even with the whole-wheat linguine)and very tasty. DH said "don't change a thing". Uh oh. I still have to try the CL one which Daphne posted (and Maryann located the source for).

I did make a few very minor changes, mostly to accommodate the fact that I needed to prepare a half-recipe but with more than half of the linguine (since DH refuses to acknowledge that a "serving" is 2 ounces of pasta...).

Edited to mention that the changes I made are now on my blog (with a photo of the finished dish-- I need to get more light into that kitchen!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by foodfiend (Okay, because I didn...)
Daphne, you are right! I didn't even notice that our recipes are almost identical. Well, it must be good if it's still around. Gosh, now I really want to make this!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by Mare749 (Daphne, you are righ...)
It's on my list for next week!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Linguine w/ Clam Sauce recipe? by Gourmet_Mom (It's on my list for ...)
OK, here's the recipe I use. And I was wrong - the pouch is Chicken of the Sea. Hope I didn't cause any confusion at the store if anyone went to look for this.

White Wine Clam Sauce

2 T. butter
2 T. EVOO
1 1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
1/2 cup chardonnay
1/4 cup clam juice
2 pouches of Chicken of the Sea Premium Whole Baby Clams
2 T. fresh chopped italian parsley
1/2 lb. linguine, cooked according to package

Shaved Asiago cheese

In skillet, melt butter in EVOO; saute garlic for one minute. Add wine and clam juice and cook on low for 3 minutes. Add clams, parsley, S&P. Pour over cooked pasta and top with cheese. Makes 2 entree servings or 4 side servings.

Changes I make - I use more garlic, 3 pouches of clams and 3/4 lb. of pasta.