Cheeseburger Soup
  Re: (...)
Just saw this recipe on the 'e recipe' newsletter - and just last night we watched a tape of Diners, Dives & ???? that featured a cheeseburger soup that the gal finished it off with chopped lettuce and tomatoes instead of dill pickles and condiments - it looked delicious.

Slow-Cooker Cheeseburger Soup

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 lb. ground beef sirloin
1 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Ketchup
Prepared yellow mustard
Chopped dill pickles

Melt butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add sirloin; cook until meat begins to brown. Stir in onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and basil; cook 5 minutes.

Add flour, stirring to coat meat; cook 1 minute. Stir in milk until mixture is smooth. Bring mixture to a boil; cook 2 minutes. Transfer soup to a 3- to 4-qt. slow cooker.

Stir in broth and potatoes. Cover soup; cook until potatoes are tender, on low-heat setting for 3-4 hours.

Add Cheddar just before serving, stirring until cheese melts. Season soup with salt and pepper; garnish each serving with ketchup, mustard, and pickles.

Description:
"Be sure to brown the ground beef before adding it to the slow cooker. Browning helps keep the meat from clumping and adds extra flavor."
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2009/10/29/cheeseburger-soup/"

-----

this looks familiar, guess I'd better go look if I've already made it.

I did make it - Dec. 1, 2008 and we liked it!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cheeseburger Soup by cjs (Just saw this recipe...)
Jean,

Speaking of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, did you happen to catch the episode where they smoked some pork and served it as pulled-pork sandwiches with a chipotle sauce?

My mom mentioned having seen it Monday, but I don't know if that was in a new episode or one of the repeats they also show.

From what she described, I'd say it's NOT the episode where they boiled pastrami in a sauce that contained chipotle (although that sounds good, too).

In particular, what we are trying to find is what else was in the sauce. She remembers cilantro, and thinks there was only one other ingredient, but isn't sure what.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by labradors (Jean,[br][br]Speakin...)
We've seen so many episodes, I just can't remember, but I have decided to get the 2nd book on this series, so maybe it'll be in there.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by cjs (We've seen so many e...)
Didn't know they had books! I wonder if the books contain only recipe that were actually GIVEN as recipes during the shows, or if it also includes "recipes" gleaned from watching, but that were never actually shown or printed as recipes (e.g. the Carnitas I made from one episode).
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by labradors (Didn't know they had...)
From the one I have, I would say a little of both of what you say - haven't cooked from it yet.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheeseburger Soup by cjs (From the one I have,...)
Just wondering. On their website, they only have the actually GIVEN, printer recipes.