a winter dish
  Re: (...)

we have some wonderful cabbage in our store - which got me to thinking

about stuffed cabbage - I haven't made this in years - does anyone have

a receipe ?

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: a winter dish by mjkcooking ([br]we have some won...)
Oh, I just love stuffed cabbage, but never make it. My inlaws do it the best and they always give us some. I'll have to make it with them sometime, so I can see what they do. I don't think they actually follow a recipe, they just have a method and certain things that they use.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: a winter dish by Mare749 (Oh, I just love stuf...)
I learned to make my mother's version of this and it has no recipe. I blanch the larger cabbage leaves to make them pliable. Make your favorite meatloaf/meatball mixture and wrap the leaves around. Dip the rolls in flower, and brown in a pan. Make a brown gravy and bake the cabbage rolls in the gravy, covered, for an hour at 350. I like to saute the remaining cabbage and cook that in with the rolls and gravy.
I think most stuffed cabbage recipes use a tomato gravy.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: a winter dish by chef_Tab (I learned to make my...)
Theresa, that's why I don't make them often - the tomato gravy. Never thought to make a brown gravy. Will have to try that, I bet we'd like them better. good idea.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: a winter dish by cjs (Theresa, that's why ...)
I love the brown gravy, I think it is more of a German meal this way. Not sure, but my mom was German and it seemed most dinners had some sort of brown gravy, onion, mushroom, peppercorn....etc! But I must admit, there is something about the cooked cabbage soaking up the gravy, that is addicting.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: a winter dish by chef_Tab (I love the brown gra...)
So far, only the one recipe from Theresa has been posted. I've just sent an email to my mom to get the recipe she's been using for decades. If I remember correctly, it originally came from a Jewish neighbour of ours, so that could mean it could be very different from Theresa's German version or (depending upon that person's heritage) it may turn out to be almost the same. We'll see. As soon as I receive it, I'll post it.

Edit: Here it is!

Stuffed Cabbage

Ingredients:
Meat Mixture:
  • 3 pounds ground Beef
  • 1 Large onion chopped finely
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt, Pepper & garlic powder to taste
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cups uncooked rice
Sauce:
  • 1 large can tomato sauce (28 ounce)
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 small can tomato paste
  • 1 can tomato soup
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • 7 full tablespoons of sugar
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Instructions:
  1. Mix together the sauce ingredients, except for raisins, until well combined.
  2. Remove core from cabbage (whole) & boil in salted water until soft enough to peel off and take out of pot each leaf as they soften enough to roll but not cooked well (about 15 minutes). Tongs can help to pull leaves out and lay onto bowl.
  3. Mix meat mixture together. Places some meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Tuck in each side and roll carefully
  4. If You have cabbage left over, cut into small pieces and place in bottom of pot.
  5. Place rolled up cabbage leaves on top & pour sauce mixture over it.
  6. Cook from 2 to 3 hours over low heat.
  7. Add raisins during last 3/4 hour of cooking.
  8. Freezes very well
Note:
  • Since the person from whom my mom got this recipe was Jewish, she used beef in the recipe. A German friend of my mom says this recipe is the way she remembers having stuffed cabbage, except with pork, instead of beef.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: a winter dish by labradors (So far, only the one...)
Hi,

We make stuffed cabbage all the time. Have two versions of it...polish or romanian and russian.

To make cabbage pliable the easiest way is to stick it in the freezer over night and than defrost it.

Meat stuffing is basically
Carmelize chopped onions and add raw ground pork or turkey and uncooked rice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Roll into the cabbage leaves.

Now for the sauce. My granmother used to take a jar of sour cream and mix it with a can of chopped tomatoes and layer cabbage and sour cream mixture. Add enough broth or water to cover the stuffed cabbage and simmer for a couple of hours.

Now romanian and polish way is

All the same except no sour cream. Put a couple of smoked ham hockes on the bottom..cover with sour kraut...add stuffed cabbage. Repeat layers, you dont need to have ham hockes in every layer, after the last layer is done cover stuffed cabbage with sour kraut add enough water to cover the rolls and simmer for a couple of hours.

P.S add water to the meat mixture so it is kind of fluffy otherwise the meat hardens when cooked.