Rack of pork
  Re: (...)
HI,

I went to Costco yesterday and they had this new thing called rack of pork. Any ideas what to make with it. Looks just like rack of lamb but it is pork. Anybody has any experience with it?

Thanks
  Re: Rack of pork by piano226 (HI,[br][br]I went to...)
I've never seen this. I'll be interested in the ideas you get. Everyone has been so chatty today, I've had a heck of a time catching up. I'll think about it while I fix dinner, but if I don't get out of here, dinner is NEVER going to get ready!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by Gourmet_Mom (I've never seen this...)
I have a friend who made this once with a stuffing in the middle. I can ask her for the recipe if you wish, I know she enjoyed the dinner.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by chef_Tab (I have a friend who ...)
Crown roast? I was thinking the same thing, Theresa, but I wasn't sure it was the same cut, so I was waiting to check. I was also thinking that making it like you would lamb, but switch up the spices. I've got to check on dinner, but I'll come back and check which spices Culinary Artistry recommends for pork and post later.

Okay, back...potatoes need a few more minutes. Here's what it says regarding the pairing/spices/flavors: apples*, apricots, bay leaves, beans(black), beer, brandy, cabbage, Calvados, cherries (dried sour), clams, Cognac, coriander, cream, cumen, fennel*, fruit*, garlic*, ginger*, hoisin, honey*, juniper berries, lemon, lime, Marsala, molasses, mustard, onions, orange*, parsley, pepper*, pineapple, plum sauce, plums, prunes, quinces, rosemary*, sage*, soy sauce, star anise, tarragon, thyme*, vinegar*, walnuts, whiskey, wine (white)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by Gourmet_Mom (Crown roast? I was ...)
OOO...stuffing in the middle sounds good. I was also thinking of taking a recipe for rack of lamb and just changing a couple of spices to accomodate pork.
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by Gourmet_Mom (Crown roast? I was ...)
Daphne is right--it is Crown Roast of Pork--just like "the other white meat", chicken--a pallet for flavor--I love a cornbread stuffing with sage, apples and colvados--or cornbread stuffing with sage, tart cherries and kirsh. Brine and roast the crown first, then add the stuffing and roast anothr 30-45 min. It's really good with a rice/wild rice fruit stuffing too!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by Old Bay (Daphne is right--it ...)
Epicurious has several recipes...several similar to what Bill describes, but I especially like the sound of the one he mentions with cherries...BTW, it's Kirch. I knew something didn't look right. Unfortunately, Epicurious does not have one with the cherries. Maybe Bill could help you out there. Here's a picture...they are very impressive:

[Image: 105600.jpg]

I just checked, there are several stuffing recipes that come up with a search of stuffing with cherries. One has a number of dried fruits that sounds yummy...Dried Fruit Stuffing.
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by Gourmet_Mom (Epicurious has sever...)
Looks like an entire loin roast with the ribs cleaned???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by cjs (Looks like an entire...)
Quote:

Looks like an entire loin roast with the ribs cleaned???

We call it a crown roast of pork. The butcher prepares a 12 rib roast (about 8 lbs), trims it and frenches the bones as in the picture. Also get him to grind the trimmings and you can use the ground pork in the stuffing. I'll try to post a recipe later.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Rack of pork by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Bill!! As a culinary student (once ) do you really think I would have a butcher "fabricate" (as some would say) my meat purchases??? shame on you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com