Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question
  Re: (...)
Jean, the kids are camping at the farm this weekend. I told them I'd make pancake batter so they could make pancakes Sunday morning. I figured I'd run the batter out to them Saturday evening. Will the batter hold that long? OR should I mix the dry ingredients, bag it, and take them the wet ingredients separately with the recipe, so they can make the batter fresh the next morning? I'd rather take them the batter, but if it won't hold....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, the kids are c...)
I'm not Jean...
(I'll bet she's on a beach...)
Anyway, even though I've seen little cartons of pancake batter in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, I would take the dry and wet ingredients separately. It only take a few minutes to whip them up in the morning.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by foodfiend (I'm not Jean...[br](...)
I've talked to DD and she says her BF is willing to take the dry and wet stuff and make the pancakes....they even bought chocolate chips to add! Unless Jean comes on to say otherwise, I'll do it this way.

The one thing that kept me wondering was Roy's B'day Brunch...SOUR pancakes. I wondered if it was this recipe, held in the fridge overnight, made into a variation of the original. Since I don't know, I'll go with the wet/dry option...Unless Jean comes on to correct me.

Thanks for your input Vicci!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by Gourmet_Mom (I've talked to DD an...)
Some pancake recipes I've made separated, slightly, into batter plus murky water after only one night in the fridge. Others have stayed together a little better. When I have noticed the separation, it usually seemed to be with recipes that used buttermilk (or milk soured with vinegar), but I'm not sure if that was the cause, or just the whole combination. When whisked back together again, the separated batters still made good pancakes, though, but some people would probably be put off by the separation.

The packaged mixes seem to hold up better - probably due to some ingredient they use that wouldn't be in homemade batter.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by labradors (Some pancake recipes...)
Thanks Labs....more support to give the kids the dry mixed with the wet separate.

But I'm still intrigued by Jean's mention of Roy's Bday breakfast of "sour" waffles/pancakes just the other day....November 1.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Labs....more ...)
I be here - a little late.

here's what I made for his b'day brunch-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Top Recipe 1989: Raised Waffles

1/2 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
2 cups milk -- warmed
1/2 cup butter -- melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

INSTRUCTIONS: Use a rather large mixing bowl -- the batter will rise to double its original volume. Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes, until yeast dissolves. Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar and flour to the yeast and beat until smooth and blended. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.
Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda and stir until well mixed. The batter will be very thin. Cook on a very hot waffle iron (use about 1/3 cup batter per grid). Bake until the waffles are golden and crisp to the touch.

Note: If there is any leftover batter, store in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several days.

These waffles from Marion Cunningham are all a waffle should be: crisp, tender and light with a slightly yeasty flavor. The batter is prepared the night before, so all you have to do the next morning is cook them. Serve them hot with room temperature butter and warmed maple syrup. A note of warning: These do not bake up well in a Belgian waffle iron. Cunningham started writing for the Food section in 1986. She is the author of "Learning to Cook," "Cooking With Children," "The Fannie Farmer Cookbook," "The Breakfast Book," "The Supper Book," and "Lost Recipes," among others.

Description:
"S.F. CHRONICLE"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's probably too late for my 2 cents, but since Uncle Wallace's calls for baking powedr, I'd go with the separate pkgs. and combine. Or, make the above waffle mix. We liked it - just a little sour taste to it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by cjs (I be here - a little...)
Oh, that's right, they were WAFFLES! That won't work then...the kids only have a griddle out there...no waffle iron. (I've got one though...LOL!) Thanks Jean. I'll go with the ingredients for the kids. The waffle recipe is copied for me!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, that's right, th...)
I've completely lost track of days, I just looked and saw you had posted and wondered what kind of a holidy it is that you are home. Must be Saturday, eh????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by cjs (I've completely lost...)
ROFLOL! ALOHA, Jean! Is it still yesterday there?

BTW, the phone had a good moment last night and I managed to listen to your message...must get new house phone! It seemed so strange to hear your voice. You sounded NOTHING like I imagined....in a good way. I'm thinking if you ever hear my voice, you'll laugh your head off!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes Question by Gourmet_Mom (ROFLOL! ALOHA, Jean...)
I heard your little twang in the message!!
www.achefsjourney.com