Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!!
  Re: (...)
Oh my, I have waited so long to go to one of his restaurants. And let me tell you, it sure helps to have a business card to send to the kitchen. The business magr. came out, Diva, to greet us and chatted for quite a while. Really a nice gal.

Roy Yamaguchi’s – what a wonderful, friendly restaurant. Bought his book and had the chef (Jason Peel), Diva, the general mgr. (who came out to meet us and chatted for quite a while), and our servers all signed the book. This is what we all ate and it was all outstanding!

Roy’s Canoe Appetizer for two – Szechuan Baby Back Ribs, Shrimp Sticks, Crispy mini Crab Cakes, Chicken Spring Rolls, and Spicy Tuna Roll. (with pickled ginger and Kim Chee) We ordered two of these and darn near ruined our dinners.
[Image: CANOEAPPYFORTWO.jpg]

On to Butternut Squash Bisque –
[Image: BUTTERNUTBISQUE.jpg]

Roy’s Classic Trio – Hibachi Grilled Salmon, Roy’s Original Blackened Island Ahi & Hawaiian Style Misoyake Butterfish. Citrus Ponzu Sauce, Spicy Soy Mustard Butter, Sweet Ginger Wasabi Beurre Blanc (this was my entrée – I wanted to taste as many of his flavors as I could.)(the butterfish-right front was outstanding!)
[Image: FUSIONSAMPLER.jpg]

Seared Duc Breast & Coonfit Leg – Boursin Buttered Gnochi, Pickled Grapes, Grand Marnier Beurre Noir.
[Image: DUCKCONFITBREAST.jpg]

AND for dessert – we ordered two of Roy’s Melting Hot Chocolate Soufflés with a scoop of ice cream in a tuille, to split-forgot to take a picture, we just dug in and lapped it al up.

After dinner we strolled over to the beach area – every Friday night the Hilton Hotel has a fireworks show and hundreds of us were sitting on the beach watching it. It was spectacular.
[Image: FIREWORKS1.jpg]
[Image: FIREWORKS2.jpg]

Home to finish the bottle of wine we couldn’t even start to finish at dinner and then to bed.

We are leaving for four days at their cabin in the mountains of Maui – so stay tuned, I’m going to be able to do some cooking, finally. They (the stores here) sell pork bellies in 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 lb. slabs – you don’t have to buy the entire belly, so I’ll ply with that.

(we are having a ball )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by cjs (Oh my, I have waited...)
Wow, wow, wow! I am so happy for you Jean. What a wonderful time you are having. I cannot even imagine owning two properties in Hawaii! The presentation of all the food is so amazing. What is the black on top of what I am assuming is rice? It doesn't look like pepper. How nice of you to include us on your vacation! I cannot wait for the next update now.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Heavens! What a wonderful looking meal!!! I am drooling like crazy!

I'm so glad you guys are having fun! Will you be able to stay in touch while at the cabin? This trip is mind-blowing! I just can't imagine actually being there! But I sure am having a blast experiencing it with you!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Heavens! What a won...)
Another double wow!
  Re: Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by HomeCulinarian (Another double wow!...)
Oh my goodness, everything looks and sounds absolutely wonderful, Jean! I'm so happy for you and Roy to be taking such a fabulous trip. How exciting to be going to Maui for four days! I can't wait to tell my daughter, Heather. Maui was her favorite. Thanks for including us in your vacation like this. It's so much fun.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by Mare749 (Oh my goodness, ever...)
Jealous, jealous, jealous!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Fantastic!! You and Roy deserve it. Have a really good time and keep making me envious. The best meal of the trip may be at the cabin, with a meal or two from a chef who has already impressed me!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by Old Bay (Fantastic!! You and...)
Excellent!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by farnfam (Excellent!! [img]/ub...)
It sounds incredible. The picturte of Roy's Canoe appetizer looks great!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Our Dinner at Roy Yamaguchi's!!! by Lorraine (It sounds incredible...)
How did I miss this?! Beautiful dinner, very impressive
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura