Pea help
  Re: (...)
I'm trying to put together a brunch and I need some sort of pea recipe. I'm thinking something with mint - anybody have a suggestion? Thanks.

Sally
  Re: Pea help by lxxf (I'm trying to put to...)
If you can get fresh sweet peas, I would just blanch them for 30 sec. and plunge in ice water to stop the cooking. Serve with brown butter, salt & pepper--amazing, and so natural!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
The November/December issue of CI has a whole bunch of excellent pea recipes. I tested the one with leeks and tarragon and they were the best peas I've ever had and super easy and fast. They also have one for shallots and mint, another with fennel, other with mushroom, etc. Let me know if you need me to send it to you.
  Re: Re: Pea help by Cubangirl (The November/Decembe...)
Just curious... why peas?
  Re: Re: Pea help by HomeCulinarian (Just curious... why ...)
"Visualise Whirled Peas." LOL!

Strange thing: as a kid, peas were my favourite vegetable and I didn't like broccoli. Now, I love broccoli, and can't stand peas (well, just a little, but not much).

Even with all that, I do have a suggestion: Couscous with Peas that we reviewed a while back. That was very good, and I even liked the peas in it (even though I had to use marmahon instead of couscous).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pea help by labradors ("Visualise Whirled P...)
I'm planning on making some seafood crepes with a sort of St. Jacques sauce and I thought that peas would go nicely with it. I haven't gotten the new issue yet so, I'd love the recipe for peas with mint and shallot. A fruit salad should round it out nicely.

Sally
  Re: Re: Pea help by lxxf (I'm planning on maki...)
I was thinking an orzo/peas/cheese mixture. I don't get CI, so I can't help you with that recipe....Sorry! Have you tried Epicurious? I found several typing in "peas mint" of which two sounded promising: Creamed Peas and Mint and Pasta with Peas, Cream, Parsley, and Mint. There's also, French-style Peas. I've never had this, but have always wanted to try it. Pearl onions are good in anything and the addition of the Boston lettuce intrigues me.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I did this salad a few years ago and everyone loved it.

Three Pea Salad

Ingredients

1. 1 tablespoon minced shallot
2. 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
3. 1 tablespoon sour cream or crème fraîche
4. 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5. Salt and freshly ground pepper
6. 1/2 pound sugar snap peas
7. 1/2 pound snow peas, halved crosswise
8. One 10-ounce box frozen baby peas (about 2 cups)

Directions

1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with ice water. In another large bowl, whisk the shallot, vinegar and sour cream together. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the sugar snap peas to the boiling water and blanch for 20 seconds. Add the snow peas and cook for 20 seconds. Add the frozen baby peas and cook for 20 seconds longer, until the sugar snaps and snow peas are crisp-tender and the baby peas are heated through. Drain and immediately transfer the colander to the ice water to stop the cooking. Drain again and pat the peas dry. Add the peas to the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Serve.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pea help by lxxf (I'm planning on maki...)
Here you go:

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

SAUTÉED PEAS WITH SHALLOT AND MINT Servings: 4

Do not thaw the peas before cooking. Regular frozen peas can be used in place of baby peas; increase the cooking time in step 2 by 1 to 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice right before serving, otherwise the peas will turn brown.

2 tsps. olive oil
1 small shallot , minced (about 1½ TBS.)
1 medium garlic clove , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 tsp.)
1 lb. frozen baby peas (3 cups)
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
1 TBS. unsalted butter
2 tsps. juice from 1 lemon
kosher salt
ground black pepper

Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in peas, broth, and sugar. Cover and cook until peas are bright green and just heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mint and butter and toss until incorporated. Remove pan from heat; stir in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.

Preparation Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes

Recipe Type: Peas, Shallots, Side Dish

Source: CI 11-12/2009
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...ocid=20865