Eggnog cookies
  Re: (...)
Of all places, this recipe just turned up on the FoxNews RSS feed! Apparently, they post a few recipes every Tuesday, but I've just never noticed before. The RSS link was for a page that also featured Mulled Wine with Honey and Orange, along with Sea Bass with Olives, Tomato, and Fennel. These cookies sound like must-try material, though:

Eggnog Cookies
Makes about 40 cookies

Ingredients:
Cookies
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk
Rum Icing
  • 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
  • 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons light rum
  • 1 whole nutmeg, for grating on top of the cookies
Cookie Instructions
  1. Whisk together the flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until creamy.
  3. Add the granulated and confectioners’ sugars and beat until thoroughly blended and velvety.
  4. Beat in the egg yolk.
  5. With the beaters on low speed, mix in the flour mixture just until thoroughly combined and the dough starts to come together.
  6. Gather the dough into a ball, then divide it in half.
  7. Working with one half of the dough at a time, place it on a lightly floured surface. Use your hands to shape it into a log and then roll it back and forth to form a smooth cylinder about 6 to 7 inches long and 1 3/4 inches in diameter.
  8. Wrap up the log in plastic wrap and secure with a layer of foil.
  9. Repeat with the remaining dough.
  10. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until very firm. (the dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.)
  11. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  12. Working with one log at a time, use a sharp knife to cut the dough into slices between 1/4 and 1/3 inch thick.
  13. Place the rounds on the prepared sheets, arranging them about 2 inches apart.
  14. Bake for about 13 minutes or until the cookies are pale golden, a little browner around the edges.
  15. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
Icing Instructions:
  1. Mix together the confectioners' sugar and rum until thoroughly mixed and smooth, but not too runny.
  2. Spread onto cooled cookies.
  3. Grate a little of the whole nutmeg onto the frosting of each cookie.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Eggnog cookies by labradors (Of all places, this ...)
Boy, these are a must try! Thanks Labs! Copied and Saved! I'll give them a taste test over Thanksgiving!

BTW, Labs, are you a FoxNews "fiend"? William is a FANatic!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by Gourmet_Mom (Boy, these are a mus...)
With three different CNN channels on our cable system down here (regular in English, International in English, and Spanish), I could feel the planet tilting to the left and was afraid I'd fall off. Fortunately, the cable company recently added FoxNews, and things are straightening up again. Unfortunately, even FoxNews gets the situation here, in Honduras, wrong most of the time.
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by labradors (With three different...)
Did I see rum icing?!?!

Seriously, I adore eggnog, especially the fresh nutmeg, and even though these came from Fox News I will have to add them to my holiday baking list!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by foodfiend (Did I see [b]rum ici...)
Quote:

... even though these came from Fox News

Fair and balanced cookies so the frosting doesn't run off them to the left! LOL!
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Okay, my Dad will be so amused-- he signs his e-mails to me as "Love, Dad (always fair and balanced)"

referencing, of course, to his favorite news channel!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by foodfiend (Okay, my Dad will be...)
Yum - love eggnog anything - also ran across a Eggnog Fudge - that
sounded great - Will be adding this to our Cooking Baking Day.

thanks

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by mjkcooking (Yum - love eggnog a...)
Okay. Fair trade, Marye. I've posted the cookie recipe, now you can post the fudge recipe!
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by labradors (Okay. Fair trade, M...)
Yep, I second Labs' suggestion-- Eggnog Fudge, please!!!
('tis that season, you know!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Eggnog cookies by foodfiend (Yep, I second Labs' ...)
Of all the crazy things, here, eggnog is on the store shelves year round, in one-pint cartons for about fifty cents, and I think it's better than the most of the store-bought ones I've had in the States - especially because it's not overly sweet, as many of them are. Often, when I go shopping, I'll pick up one of those cartons as the last thing before going to the checkout like, then I"ll drink it just before going outside to get a taxi. What a great treat!