Recipes for Red Velvet Cupcakes?
  Re: (...)
I am making some kind of dessert for a group of 8-10 adults for next Monday. I love red velvet cake but have never made it before, so am really thinking about trying that, in cupcake form. I'd love for this recipe to really shine for this group. (Work friends, not family, so I don't have my usual group of family guinea pigs, who'll love me no matter what, for a first time attempt ) Another catch - I need to be able to make these Sunday night and then drive them about an hour away and have them sit in my car for the day till the dinner that evening. (It's usually about 60-70 degrees in the day around here lately - I could put them in a cooler as well.) Any recipes that would work or is this a bad idea all round? (I guess I could pick something up on the way to the dinner at the local Whole Foods....) Thanks!!!
  Re: Recipes for Red Velvet Cupcakes? by carolekv (I am making some kin...)
Cuisine has a recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes in Issue 67. Do you have that one? If not, I'll post it for you.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Recipes for Red Velvet Cupcakes? by Dismc (Cuisine has a recipe...)
Carole,

How about some of the recipes for making cakes or muffins in mason jars? That would give you a way to transport them and keep them, and then they will be fun for the guests to eat, as well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipes for Red Velvet Cupcakes? by labradors (Carole,[br][br]How a...)
Here's link for a recipe that has gotten very good reviews in another forum. I have not tried them because red velvet cakes are not chocolatey enough for me. If I was going to transport them, if possible I would not frost the cupcakes, but put them plain in a cupcake carrier or a tightly sealed container or covered well with plastic wrap. I would put the frosting in a small cooler and take separately and then frost on site. I prefer the dip and sweep method for frosting. Anyway here's the link to the recipe (has pictures as well): Red Velvet cupcakes.
The recipe given was scaled down to 12, you may need to scale it up again.
The Cusine at Home recipe is quite good.

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Whisk Together:
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp. each baking soda, table salt, and instant espresso powder
Blend; Add:
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups vegetable oil
2 oz. red food color
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix In:
1-1/2 cups buttermilk
1-1/2 tsp. white vinegar
Preheat oven to 350°; line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl; set aside.
Blend sugar and eggs in a bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until ribbons form, about 5 minutes. With mixer running, add oil in a stream until blended. Mix in food color and vanilla until incorporated.
Mix 1/2 the dry ingredients into butter mixture, followed by the buttermilk and vinegar, then remaining dry ingredients; blend just until incorporated. Fill liners to the top with batter and bake until toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20-25 minutes (16 minutes for minis). Cool cupcakes in the pan for 20 minutes, transfer to a rack, then, when cool, frost with icing.
Cuisine at Home, No. 67 February 2008
Classic White Icing
Makes 8 cups Total time: 20 minutes + chilling
Whisk Together; Cook:
2-1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup all purpose flour
Cream; Add:
2-1/2 cups sugar
5 sticks unsalted butter, softened (2-1/2 cups)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Dust with Cocoa powder
Whisk milk and flour together in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes, whisking often. Boil 1 minute to eliminate the starchy taste of the flour, whisking constantly. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it on the surface to prevent a skin from forming; chill until cold.
Cream sugar and butter in a bowl with a mixer on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and chilled milk mixture, beating until to consistency of whipped cream, about 5 minutes. Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large straight tip and pipe spirals onto cupcakes. Dust with cocoa.
Here is one I have used for years as a cake and just recently used it as cupcakes. For the cupcakes I used a cream cheese icing. Either the cream cheese icing or the one in the original recipe would probably hold up better if in a cooler. Hope this helps.

WALDORF RED CAKE

I usually made this cake for Christmas dessert and decorated the top with red and green candied cherries cut to look like holly leaves and berries.
Yield: 2 - 9” layers (round or square); or 1 – 9 x 13” sheet cake

1/2 cup shortening (at least ½ butter)
1½ cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp. cocoa
2 oz. liquid red food coloring (4 little bottles)
2½ cups sifted cake flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp baking soda

Grease and lightly flour the cake pans. Preheat oven to 350°. Cream the shortening and sugar. Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy. Mix the cocoa and red food coloring to make a paste. Add paste to the shortening/sugar mixture. Sift the flour and salt and add alternately with the buttermilk. Stir in the vanilla. Mix the vinegar and baking soda and add to the mixture last. DO NOT BEAT HARD, just blend in at low speed. Pour batter into the prepared cake pans and bake at 350° for about 30 min or until cake tests done.

FROSTING: (Best part of the cake)
5 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla

Put the flour into a small saucepan. Stir in the milk, mixing until smooth. Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring until thick. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla. Add the cooled flour mixture and blend at low speed only until well blended. DO NOT BEAT LONG!
Shirley
Yes, the frosting will melt in that temperature. I found that out after my mother transported a wedding cake for me. She thought it would be 'just fine'. Well the frosting separated and it did not look very pretty after spending that kind of money for cake! The layers slid and she tried to 'fix' it, but it was just not salvagable. The cake was not for a wedding, in case you are wondering. It was for my grandparents 60th anniversary. My mom said they had never had a wedding cake before and thought it would be nice. I volunteered to get one as my part of the event. I didn't really know how much they cost until I went to order one. My grandma has trouble seeing, so she never saw it's flaws. My grandpa probably never cared. He probably thought I made it myself!

Sorry... I digress...

Put the frosted cupcakes in a cooler with some ice to keep it cool. I would trust anyone's recipes that have been posted. Or, buy them at whole foods. But put them in a cooler.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura