Yesterday's Project on the farm
  Re: (...)
About 11pm Monday night Cousin Harry delivered a deer to us.

[Image: IMG_6648_edited.jpg]

He and Vickie got it skinned and we got it in the big quonset for the night (going to be under freezing!)

Yesterday John and Bob got him into the kitchen on a plastic lined door laid over 2 tables in Vickie's kitchen. We went to work. By the end of the day we were tired and achy, there was 20+ lbs of meat "sucked & sealed" and in the freezer. The four leg and shoulder (or hip) sections are cleaned up, wrapped, and in the cooler on ice to be dealt with today.

I'm sure we could have gotten more meat - although it wasn't a really heavy deer, if we'd had more instruction and a "general idea" - but hey! We are WOMAN!

Must add - the guys ran out of the kitchen and headed under the mobile. That's cool - we have running water today!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by Harborwitch (About 11pm Monday ni...)
Sorry, Sharon... can't resist:

[Image: redneckpicsxmasdeer.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by labradors (Sorry, Sharon... can...)
Too funny Labs!

Congratulations, Sharon! How'd you prep the meat...ground? Are you going to do any sausage? I'm guessing you saved the tenderloins for steaks. They are VERY good...very much like fillet mignon. If you're interested, I THINK I have a blueberry sauce I got from Fincher a while back that is VERY good to go with your steaks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by Gourmet_Mom (Too funny Labs! [br...)
Oh, the start of good eatin' this winter.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by labradors (Sorry, Sharon... can...)
OMG, Labs, that is TOO funny!!!

I am reading through Sharon's post and the first thing that pops into my mind is - does she have any idea what she is doing? I guess I got that answered by the bottom of the post!!!

I admire your ambition . . . We used to do all of our own deer processing, but there is something about the feel of venison that just creeps me out. It is "sticky." The last few years it has been too warm to leave hanging in our barn so we ended up taking it to the butcher shop, which was fine with me.
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by iBcookin (OMG, Labs, that is T...)
I admire your ambition too, Sharon! I wouldn't have a clue where to start. Ron and his dad always used to butcher their deer for many years, but more recently, they take it right to a friend's house who is all set up for butchering and he does it for them. I will be interested to hear what kind of dishes you make with the venison.

Labs, that pic is hysterical. Ron asked me to copy it for him.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by iBcookin (OMG, Labs, that is T...)
It didn't bother me too much - bothered Vicki some so she manned the sink getting the meat washed off and ready to package. Fillet knives and a reciprocating saw were not exactly the equipment we needed - but we did well.

The leg sections are still on ice and Bob and I will have to deal with them tomorrow. It's going to be below 30 again tonight.

What I did once with the tenderloin was a venison Wellington with a port wine and raspberry reduction. Oh my that was good. Tonight I'm going to mix some ground venison, ground home made bacon, and some bison and make a meatloaf.

Jean, I'm really thinking about entering a lamb cookoff over in Bismark. Problem is that you're supposed to prepare enough for 12 to 20 people (I'm sure just tasting servings not full dinners) but I can't even find a freakin' lamb chop anywhere. Going to call in a minute and see what the NDLWPA's say.
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by Harborwitch (It didn't bother me ...)
Oh how fun that sounds, Sharon!! I hope you do go for it.

Our first try at butchering venison, we didn't know what we were doing either and ended up with almost everthing butterflied - sounds like you did better than we.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by cjs (Oh how fun that soun...)
I think we wound up with all kinds of stuff - and I'm not sure about some. Lots of stew and ground meat I'm thinking. Man, that meatloaf last night was amazing.
  Re: Re: Yesterday's Project on the farm by Harborwitch (I think we wound up ...)
Sharon, I am so excited for you! I am very jealous of your bison! I'd never get that around here! I've heard it has an amazing flavor, but like venison, very lean. I'm guessing you didn't mix your venison with anything...waiting to mix as you use it? I think that was one of our errors when we did this once before. We mixed it ALL with store bought sausage. Won't do that again! I'm anxious to see what you do with yours, so I'll know what I want to do when we get our grinder and smoker!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.