Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan
  Re: (...)
I copied this from a thread that Laura replied to. Never had to try it until today. It works like a charm!

Tips For Cleaning a Burned Pan

This is from Laura:
I got this from E-How. I have never tried it but...

cover pan completely with a generous amount of baking soda. Drizzle in just enough water to create a thick paste, smearing the paste up the sides of the pot if needed. Set aside for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Without rinsing the pot, add 3 parts water to 1 part distilled vinegar to cover the burned area by at least 2 inches (5 cm). Boil for 10 minutes and then leave overnight.

Repeat as needed.
-------------------------------------------------------

I did not find it necessary to soak again overnight. I just reheated the same solution in the pan a couple of times and after sitting for a few hours, the burnt stuff came right off. Amazing!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan by Mare749 (I copied this from a...)
That's good to know! I'm going to copy this and save it...THANKS!

Now do tell, why did you need this...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan by Gourmet_Mom (That's good to know!...)
I just thought I would add this. I discoverd it this weekend. I have a brushed stainless steel oven/range. I use the stainless steel cleaner on it, but there was always some spots on the back splash/control panel that I could not get off. Kind of like a grease stain. No matter how much I cleaned it with the cleaner it never came off - just really shiny spots!

After googling it, I decided to use a little baking soda mixed with water and a soft wash cloth. Worked like a charm!

The internet is truly an amazing source of information. As long as you are careful, that is!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning Stainless Steel by esgunn (I just thought I wou...)
It sure is! When I get back from the store, I think I'll check on ideas for my SS fridge. I've got a few places near the bottom under the ice/water dispenser that have some tiny rust looking specks. If anybody has any ideas while I'm gone...feel free to save me the time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan by Gourmet_Mom (That's good to know!...)
Quote:

That's good to know! I'm going to copy this and save it...THANKS!

Now do tell, why did you need this...LOL!

It was just plain ol' tomato soup, but it sure did burn!
Maryann

Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
If you need to get this done quicker, what always works for me is to sprinkle the pot with baking soda, add about an inch of water and bring to a simmer. Turn off burner and let sit till tepid. The burned on stuff just wipes right off.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan by chef_Tab (If you need to get t...)
Thank you Theresa! Hopefully, there won't be a next time, but if there is, I will be trying your method first.
Maryann

Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning a Burned Pan by Mare749 (Thank you Theresa! ...)
My Mother always used the baking soda method to clean burned pots. I seem to remember her doing it often.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning Stainless Steel by esgunn (I just thought I wou...)
Quote:

I just thought I would add this. I discoverd it this weekend. I have a brushed stainless steel oven/range. I use the stainless steel cleaner on it, but there was always some spots on the back splash/control panel that I could not get off. Kind of like a grease stain. No matter how much I cleaned it with the cleaner it never came off - just really shiny spots!

After googling it, I decided to use a little baking soda mixed with water and a soft wash cloth. Worked like a charm!

The internet is truly an amazing source of information. As long as you are careful, that is!

I have the same problem with the backing on my SS range! I will definitely give this a try. It really looks bad when the sun shines on it just right (or wrong).

I do use one of those hand-held steamers on my stainess appliances and it works well, it just takes soooooo long. This sounds much easier. I will try it tonight.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Tips for Cleaning Stainless Steel by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Not sure how it would work on appliances, but I keep my SS cookware looking like new by using Barkeep's Friend. I have found that Bon Ami, Comet and others don't do the same job. I just put some on the preferably dry surface and scrub lightly. The key is to rinse it really well and then wash with the dishwashing liquid.
BTW, if you have any label sticky spots dab with Avon Skin-so-Soft and it will come right off. I keep a bottle just for that kind of thing, never have used for whatever its real function is.