Some New Recipe Reviews
  Re: (...)
We really have tried a lot of new dishes here and thought I'd post a few that we have enjoyed the most. We had a great drink last night -

Pineapple Drops

makes 6 cocktails. "Tangy & sweet, this drink pairs well with our luau, but is also good sipped solo." from Sunset, June 09 (Hawaii version)

1 1/2 cups each pineapple juice and vodka
3 T. fresh lime juice
Couple of lime wedges
about 1 cup sugar
Fresh pineapple, cut into 3/4" chunks

In a pitcher, mix p.apple juce, vodka, and lime juice, then chill until cold.

Rub lime wedges around rims of 6 martini glasses. Pour sugar onto a large plate. Dip rims of glasses in sugar. Divide vodka mixture among glasses. Push a few p.apple chunks onto each skewer and set one in each glass.

This turned out to be such a 'mental' cocktail - Roy first served these in a highball glass (hostess not home and didn't know where the martini glasses were) and as I was tasting it, I thought it ought to be one of the foofoo sweet drinks and really puckered up. But when Sonja came home and got the good glasses out and we sipped as you would a martini, it was just right!! Wierd. But, it's good!!

-----

Stir-Fried Asparagus with Sesame Seeds and Pine Nuts
from an old Hawaiian book I've had for years and brought with us.

3 tsps. roasted sesame oil
3 tsps. minced fresh ginger
12 thick asparagus stalks, peeled and washed (Yes, I peeled them - couldn't find the peeler, so used a paring knife.... )
1/4 c julienned red bell pepper
1/4 c julienned scallions
1/4 c toasted pine nuts
1 1/2 tsps. toasted white sesame seeds
S&P

Place sesame oil in a wok and heat until the oil is very hot. Add the ginger and stir for a few seconds.

Add the asparagus and stir-fry for a couple of minutes, until it is cooked but still firm and bright green.

Add the red pepper, scallions, pine nuts, and sesame seeds, and mix well. Season with s&p to taste and serve at once.

-----

Soy-Glazed Mahi Mahi with Cilantro Pesto Shrimp
courtesy of Kristine Snyder

3 T. soy sauce
2 T. sesame oil
1/4 c minced fresh ginger
1 T. plus 2 tsps minced garlic
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 5-oz. mahimahi fillets, 3/4- to 1-inch thick
3 oz. spicy Hawaiian Portuguese sausage (or Linguica), thinly sliced)
3/4 c clam juice
1/4 c chicken broth
3 T. rice vinegar
1 T. Thai sweet chili sauce
3/4 c packed fresh cilantro
3 1/2 T. macadamia nut oil
1 T. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. grated lime zest
1/4 tsp. salt, or to taste
2 T. cold butter, cut into pieces
8 large shrimp, peeled & deveined, tail on
3 cups chopped watercress
12 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, 2 T. of the ginger, 1 T. of the garlic and 1/4 tsp. of the red pepper flakes in a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag. Add fish and sausage to marinade, turning to coat. Refrigerate 1/2 hour.

Combine clam juice, broth, vinegar and chili sauce in a small saucepan. Boil over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes. Set aside.

In food processor, puree cilantro, macadamia nut oil, remaining 2 T. ginger, remaining 2 tsps. garlic, lime juice, zest, salt & remaining 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes. Reserve 2 T. of this mixture for the shrimp and set remainder aside.

Preheat oven to 450F. Remove fish and sausage from marinade, scraping off excess and place on parchment-lined baking sheet (sausage should be in a single layer on sheet). Bake 7 to 9 min. or till just cooked through.

Meanwhile, to finish sauce, reheat broth mixture over medium heat and stir in cilantro pesto. Gradually stir in butter and season to taste with salt.

Melt reserved cilantro pesto in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and sauté shrimp until opaque about 1 ½ min. per side.

To serve, divide watercress onto 4 warmed plates and top with fish/sausage. Drizzle sauce over fish and top with shrimp. Garnish with tomatoes.

This dish is so pretty and so tasty!! We (Roy and me) did a lot of prep work in the afternoon, so even tho it looks time consuming, it went together quickly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Some New Recipe Reviews by cjs (We really have trie...)
Jean those all sound so good! Isn't it interesting that how a drink is served can affect how it tastes?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Some New Recipe Reviews by Harborwitch (Jean those all sound...)
Jean, these all sound delicious! I don't know what I'll sub for the Linguica, but I'll figure out something!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Some New Recipe Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, these all soun...)
Daphne, I think any spicy Pork sausage would work fine.

(I've got 1/2 the prep work done for tonight's dinner and I think I'll be posting these - so far the tasting is wonderful!! )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Some New Recipe Reviews by cjs (Daphne, I think any...)
Can't wait to hear!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Some New Recipe Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Can't wait to hear!...)
You know me by now... I'm figuring out if I can use rum (golden or, better yet to pair with pineapple, dark) instead of vodka!

The mahimahi looks very good, too. I'm adding that to my summer recipe file.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com