Foodsaver Zipper Bags
  Re: (...)
I am curious if anyone has tried the foodSaver zipper bags? They are supposed to be used for refrigerator daily items to keep them longer? I also picked up a deli container for deli meats that uses the same zipper attachment. You do need a special attachment that you get on the foodsaver.com site - but it is only $7.99. I am just wondering if this is worth it.

I am also curious if anyone has tried the foodsaver freeze and steam bags that you can steam in the microwave?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Foodsaver Zipper Bags by esgunn (I am curious if anyo...)
Erin, I am not going to be much help here, but when I see the freeze and steam bags advertised, I cannot help but wonder how harmful they may be to us. Is this a different plastic that does not emit gases when heated? I only bring this up because you still have wee ones at home.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Foodsaver Zipper Bags by chef_Tab (Erin, I am not going...)
Despite protestations to the contrary, the urban legend against using plastic in the microwave persists, despite information from the USDA and from science that show no such risks when using plastic that is intended for microwave use and labeled as such.

Most of the protestations are just as pseudoscientific as the claims for "colon-cleansing" products (although the latter are probably more productive).

To quote the Johns Hopkins linked above:
Quote:

Question: A number of readers contacted the Bloomberg School about the risk of warming plastic baby bottles or cooking with plastic bags. Do you have any advice for them?

Answer: The first thing is to use common sense and follow the manufacturer’s directions. Only utilize plastic containers, wraps, bags and utensils for their intended purpose. For example, grocery bags are manufactured to transport food and not to serve as cooking aids. The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) has some helpful guidelines for cooking with plastics in microwave ovens.

If you want to minimize exposure to chemicals from plastics as much as possible during any type of cooking, use inert containers, such as heat-resistant glass, ceramics and stainless steel.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Foodsaver Zipper Bags by labradors (Despite protestation...)
Erin, I haven't tried (nor had I heard of till now)the "foodSaver zipper bags" or the "a special attachment" for the Food Saver. So, no help from this end. I'll have to look for them/

Theresa, the FoodSaver bags that we have all used for a number of years are used to heat the foods in (or you can remove them) and that is one of the nicest features about the product, being able to take from the freezer and heat in simmering water.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com