A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried
  Re: (...)
Everyone of these is a keeper and a winner!! Too laid back to take pictures, but it all should have been!

Crab Cakes with Papaya-Basil Sauce

This is my recipe for crab cakes –

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dungeness Crab Cakes - Windsor '06 Fundraiser Recipe
I made 16 cakes out of this amount

1 lbs crab meat -- preferably Dungeness
1/2 pound butter - unsalted, melted and cooled just a little
chopped parsley
chopped chives
2 hard-cooked egg -- finely chopped
salt, black pepper
1 c panko
1 c flour
2 eggs, beaten with a little water
1 1/2 c more panko (for breading)*
Peanut or canola oil, as needed for frying

Put the crabmeat in a large bowl and add the butter, parsley, chives, eggs, salt & pepper.

Mix together till combined. Add just enough panko make a coherent mixture.

Divide the mixture into patties - for regular service make into 2 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick.
Chill the patties covered for 30 min

When ready to fry cakes: have three shallow containers ready
one - flour
one - egg wash
one - panko

Dredge the patties on all sides in the flour, then dip in egg wash, drop in panko and coat evenly. Shake off excess.

Fill pot with at least 2" of oil and heat to 350 F.
Add as many cakes as will comfortably fit and fry, turning a few times with a slotted spoon, till golden brown on all sides and hot thru, about 6 min. cooking time.

Remove cakes and continue with the rest. Drain cooked cakes on paper towels an keep warm till service.

*I mixed 1/2 panko and 1/2 chopped, roasted pecans for the breading.

Alternative: brown the crab cakes quickly, set aside (chilled), then finish off in a 375 F. oven.

For the Fundraiser dinner I made miniature cakes for my Amuse-Bouche

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey recipe for the 2006 Windsor Fund Raiser
Makes approx. 24 cakes, depending on size made.

-----
BUT, this sauce is just wonderful and sure is a repeat! All the recipes I’m posting here are from my old book, A Taste of Hawaii by Jean-Marie Josselin.

Papaya-Basil Sauce – makes 2/3 cup (it made a heck of a lot more than that and I’m sure I reduced it correctly!)

1 cup dry white wine
1 ripe papaya, diced
1 shallot, diced
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Salt & pepper
2 tsps. chopped fresh ginger
Juice of 2 limes (I used 1/4 cup)
4 sprigs of fresh basil

In a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, combine the wine, papaya, and shallot Reduce the liquid by 2/3, then add the cream and reduce again by 2/3.

Slowly whisk in the butter, incorporating each piece before adding another. Season with salt, pepper, ginger and lime juice.

Transfer the sauce into a bowl and add the basil. Allow it to infuse for at least 20 minutes before serving.

-----
Huli-Huli Roasted Chicken with Lime-Honey Glaze

1 (2-3 lb.) free-range chicken
Salt & pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, sliced thin (I used 4 cloves)
1 cup honey
1 cup dark soy sauce
1 cup lime juice
3 tsps. brown sugar

Prepare grill.
Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Place the thyme and garlic under the skin on the breast (and legs).

Combine the honey, soy sauce, lime juice, and brown sugar; stir until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved.

Place the chicken on the spit and brush with glaze every few minutes until the glaze start to stick to the chicken Continue to roast until chicken is done, about 1 1/2 hours.

Remove chicken from the spit and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

My note: There was not a grill available, so I roasted the chicken on a rack on a b. sheet in a 350F. oven for about 1 1/4 hours. Absolutely wonderful!!!!

-----
Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and five-spice powder

Roast a head of garlic in olive oil until creamy done.

Cook 4 large potatoes until just tender and mash with the squeezed out garlic, salt, pepper, 3 pinches of five-spice powder, 1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream (heated) and 1 stick (yes!) of unsalted butter, softened.

My note: I cooked these up ahead of time and heated as the chicken was roasting – made for a really easy dinner. We ate the asparagus that I had planned for this dinner the night before, so we just pigged out on crab cakes, chicken and tatoes!

A fantastic dinner!

Jeanette - stay away from this thread - the dinner had 1 lb. of butter in it and YES, I'll do it exactly the same way again one of these days!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by cjs (Everyone of these is...)
OH MY! A WHOLE POUND?!?!? Goodness, but this sounds so good! I think I'm going to have to try them all...tonight if I can get my butt in gear and go to town for the papaya and crab! But I think the chicken is a given! I had just been wondering what's for dinner...THANKS! (William is going to strangle both of us...IF I tell him...LOL!)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by Gourmet_Mom (OH MY! A WHOLE POUN...)
Gotta try that sauce, especially with the wonderful papayas we have here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by labradors (Gotta try that sauce...)
Okay...dinner is late. What can I say? But the chicken is resting, the garlic is roasted, and the taters are almost done. I didn't go to town for the crab and papaya, I'm saving that for tomorrow, hopefully.

I'll be back!

(BTW, Jean, I had a BUNCH of the basting liquid left. Did I do something wrong here?)

Okay...YUM! I don't think I basted enough...thus a lot of basting liquid left, but the flavor is really good! I have not done roasted garlic potatoes before...don't know why...terrific! I served this with buttered peas. A really good meal. This will be repeated, for sure. I'm wondering about making the basting sauce the night before and using it as a marinade for the chicken. I love having a dinner late in the week that I can put in the oven and just let it cook...well, there's the basting, but hey...still simple. I put the garlic in a foil pouch and placed it on the tray with the chicken. I took it out about 20-30 minutes into the cooking time. Easy!

Thanks again, Jean!
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by Gourmet_Mom (Okay...dinner is lat...)
I did forget to mention how much chicken marinade the recipe made and that I was going to half it next time, sorry I didn't mention this before.

But, if you have room (which Sonja did not) in your freezer, I'd just boil the marinade and then freeze in a couple of packets for another meal. Also, it got thrown away ( ) before I could say keep a cup or so for leftovers.

Did you both like the flavor the 5-spice gave the potatoes, Daphne? We sure did.

Labs, I hope you'll let us know what all you find to use the papaya sauce for - and I just checked to see if I had mentioned how much it makes. It sure is tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by cjs (I did forget to men...)
I knew I forgot something with those potatoes! Dang! Next time. William sure did like it with the roasted garlic.
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by Gourmet_Mom (I knew I forgot some...)
You didn't put 5-spice in the 5-spice mashed potatoes??????
DAPHNE!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by cjs (You didn't put 5-spi...)
I know...DUH! It would have really complimented the chicken.
Daphne
  Re: Re: A Taste Of Hawaii Recipes Tried by Gourmet_Mom (I know...DUH! It wo...)
Oh Daphne, that's so funny!
www.achefsjourney.com