Measuring a Souffle Dish?
  Re: (...)
Last Satruday, at my family's wonderful gathering at my folks' house, I came upon an old souflle dish that my Mom used to use. I remember being warned to tip-toe around the oven while passing through the kitched lest the souffle should fall. Well, my Mom doesn't do much exotic cooking anymore, so I asked for it and she let me have it.

Billy's recipe for cheddar, bacon and egg souffle got me thinking. I'd like to make that, but I have no idea what size this souffle dish is. There is no marking anywhere to be found.

How do you measure a souffle dish?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by BarbaraS (Last Satruday, at my...)
Barbara, I am no expert, for sure, but here's what I'd do: I'd just use a measuring cup and measure out water until it was full. This should tell you how many quarts/cups it will hold. That's my two cents. Let's see what the others say.

BTW, that souffle is really good! I couldn't believe how easy it was to make a souffle. I didn't have a proper souffle dish, but I made it work with what I had. Came out perfect!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by BarbaraS (Last Satruday, at my...)
I would say about 6 inches diameter with about 5 1/2-3/4 inch depth----four cup capacity,or thereabouts. The height is the most important for a souffle........that was a really great recipe---I made that along with him!!!

Let us know your review----good/bad/indifferent!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by Roxanne 21 (I would say about 6 ...)
Okay, so I just measured it. It's 8" in diameter and 4" high. About 1/2" from the top, the sides flare out just a tad. I was able to put 8 cups of water and it came to the within 1/2" from the very top. I'm guessing you don't fill a souffle dish to the top, you need room for it to rise.

So would this work for Billy's souffle?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by BarbaraS (Okay, so I just meas...)
You need a dish that has straight sides----a MUST!!!! No flare---sorry!!! Your dish does not sound as though it is a souffle dish. IMHO----this will not work for Billy's recipe
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by BarbaraS (Okay, so I just meas...)
Barbara, I'd go with it. The recipe calls for a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish, and you've got it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by Roxanne 21 (You need a dish that...)
Quote:

You need a dish that has straight sides----a MUST!!!! No flare---sorry!!! Your dish does not sound as though it is a souffle dish. IMHO----this will not work for Billy's recipe

It's not quite a "flare" - my bad. Can't really describe it.

But I know for a fact my Mom used this for souffles.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I'd go with...)
You will need a collar though----straight sides!!!

I stand to be corrected on this, however---
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by Roxanne 21 (You will need a coll...)
What's a collar?

When I do a Google on images for souffle dishes, mine looks exactly like the ones pictured.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Measuring a Souffle Dish? by BarbaraS (What's a collar?[br]...)
Here is a site that you might want to visit---it explains all that you are asking----I learned that the dish can be 8 inches but I have always used the 6 inch with GREAT results---GOOD LUCK!!!

http://www.baking911.com/howto/souffle.htm