Rhubarb
  Re: (...)
This is one of those thangs that are not on the shelves very often. I noticed some the other day only becuase Peter has been asking for a rhubarb pie----YIPPEE----RHUBARB!!!!

Okay---I purchase enough rhubarb and he is not able to eat it---meaning NO APPETITE!!!

My question---has anybody ever frozen fresh and, if so, is it okay to use in this sort of pie?? OR---should I stew it before I freeze? That would not be very good for a pie---in fact, totally non-negotiatiable. ANY ADVICE will be much appreciated!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Rhubarb by Roxanne 21 (This is one of those...)
Hi Roxanne! Yes. You definitely can freeze rhubarb. My mother and MIL do it all the time. Just wash, chop and freeze. Add it to pie, crisp, cake, coffee cake. Whatever you like. It will turn out great.

This is my all-time favorite rhubarb recipe of my MIL's. I love it. The beated eggs in this recipe form a crunchy meringue-like top that you literally have to 'break' to get to the center of this wonderful desert. It's really good.

Rhubarb Crunch

Crust:
1 cup sifted flour
5 T. powdered sugar
½ cup butter

Mix and pat into 8” or 9” pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Filling:
2 eggs
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup flour
¾ t. baking powder
dash salt
2 cups rhubarb, cut up

Beat eggs until fluffy. Add sugar gradually. Mix dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Fold in rhubarb and pour over crust. Bake again at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by luvnit (Hi Roxanne! Yes. Yo...)
Thank you, thank you, thank you Laura!

That recipe sounds like a keeper---printed and will definitely try-----YUMMMM!!!!

Off to do some chopping----I'm really happy that the rhubarb can be salvaged. THANKS again!!
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by Roxanne 21 (Thank you, thank you...)
Yup, freeze mine all the time. I actually measure out what my recipe called for and vac pack it so it is all set. I do drain off a little of the liquid before I use it, but it comes out fine.

That recipe sounds wonderful - added to my collection, but may have to be tried with the rhubarb in the freezer!!!
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by iBcookin (Yup, freeze mine all...)
"I actually measure out what my recipe called for" me too!

Roxanne, have you ever added raspberries to your rhubarb pie, it's a delicious combination. Even made Rhubarb/Raspberry (w/hot peppers) last summer because we like the combination so well.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by cjs ("I actually measure ...)
I use to chop and freeze also. It makes a great chutney.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by Lorraine (I use to chop and fr...)
Jean---I have never tried raspberries but strawberries are scrumptious!!! Raspberries are another one of those items that are not seen on the shelves here very often. I will keep that in mind though--now that I have rhubarb available. I am running to the market tomorrow to buy more before they are totally gone!!!
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by Roxanne 21 (Jean---I have never ...)
Roxanne,

Raspberries are wonderful, especially in jam, and with white chocolate (e.g. garnishing a white-chocolate mousse).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by labradors (Roxanne,[br][br]Rasp...)
I had made a couple quarts of peach pie filling the summer before so added a quart of that to my rhubarb pie last spring and everyone raved about it. I'm not a big peach pie fan, but the family ate every bite.
  Re: Re: Rhubarb by iBcookin (I had made a couple ...)
What another good idea - peaches and rhubarb!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com