Horseradish
  Re: (...)
A good friend dug us up some horseradish. He said to chop fine in a food processor and add vinegar after a minute or two, depending on how hot you'd like it.
I was wondering what all your experiences might be with horseradish, and how you fix it. Any and all tips will be appreciated
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Horseradish by farnfam (A good friend dug us...)
Don't have personal experience, but my sister makes it. She always works outside with it after making it inside one time. She had to leave her house for the day!
  Re: Re: Horseradish by HomeCulinarian (Don't have personal ...)
Ok, thanks for that tip! He said it was very, very pungent, but I wondered if he was exaggerating. Guess not
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Horseradish by HomeCulinarian (Don't have personal ...)
GREAT tip! I was going to dig up some of my MIL's horseradish last year and never got around to it. I will keep this tip in mind if I ever get around to making my own horseradish for everyone. Must be potent stuff when it's that fresh.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Horseradish by luvnit (GREAT tip! I was go...)
We do ours in a blender and add some mayo after the vinegar to further cut the hotness.

One time (and only one time!!) nosey Tracie thought the blender was a milkshake and removed the lid and took a whiff - darn near passed out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Horseradish by farnfam (A good friend dug us...)
This recipe is from Lawry's House of Prime Rib in Los Angeles and Chicago. I've been to both and love them, especially Chicago.

Lawry's Creamed Horseradish

1 C whipping Cream
1 ounce horseradish root, peeled and grated or ground
1 t seasoned salt
2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce or to taste

Whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold in remaining ingredients. Serve with prime rib.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Horseradish by Dismc (This recipe is from ...)
Mmmm, doesn't that sound yummy
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Horseradish by farnfam (Mmmm, doesn't that s...)
You absolutely have to do this outside, trust me! I just take the food processor out on the porch to do mine. When we were doing the big harvest last spring, we did ours in the processor, neighbor did his in the blender, which obviously chopped it finer. I liked his texture better, plus the finer pieces released more "heat."

My research on the internet did say to wait a few minutes before adding the vinegar because the vinegar halts the release of that heat.

And Bruce did the same whiffing thing. Didn't think that it was strong enough so he had to stick his head over the processor to verify it for himself. 'Nuf said!
  Re: Re: Horseradish by iBcookin (You absolutely have ...)
No fresh here-----I use the jarred stuff for my remoulades. Sounds as though that would be interesting to work with----a change of pace, in other words. Great thread!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Horseradish by Roxanne 21 (No fresh here-----I ...)
I've worked with fresh horseradish before but just grated some up for either cocktail sauce or a sour cream/chive/lemon juice/horseradish accompaniment to prime rib. It was bearable to work with. No need to leave the house or grate it outside.