North Dakota Food - some more
  Re: (...)
There's a wonderful food here - spelled Kuchen, pronounced Kuga. There must be a couple hundred different recipes, and variations. There's cheese, prune, plain, etc. Some are made with a sweet roll crust rolled or pressed into a pie plate, others use a commercial frozen bread dough. The filling can be custardy, or puddingy. Some are made with fresh fruit, dried fruit, sometimes frozen fruit.

This weekend I decided that I had to make one - using one of my favorite dried fruits (apricots). A little research, some poking around and I improvised.

Apricot Kuchen
Makes 2
Preheat oven to 350

1 Loaf frozen bread dough or your favorite sweet yeast dough (enough for 1 loaf).

8 oz. dried apricot halves
3 cups cold water
2 cups sugar

Filling

1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 TBS all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
a pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
pinch of cinnamon (optional)

Thaw bread dough and press into 2 buttered tart or pie plates, keeping the bottom thin.

Soak apricot halves in 3 cups water in a bowl overnight. In the morning place apricots, water, and sugar in a saucepan and simmer until the apricots are transparent. Cool, drain, and set aside.

Place the yogurt in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with the 2TBS flour. Add sugar, egg yolks, whole egg, salt, vanilla and almond extract and mix well until smooth and set aside.

Lay apricot halves on dough, pour filling over and bake for about 55 minutes or until center appears set, but still slightly wobbly when shaken gently. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove ring from tart pan, cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.

Great for breakfast, dessert, or just snacking. Yum.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: North Dakota Food - some more by Harborwitch (There's a wonderful ...)
Sharon, That sounds really good! I might have to try making one of these. We love dried apricots.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food - some more by esgunn (Sharon, That sounds...)
Sharon, it seems like a lot of these recipes are sort of like German food. I am so glad you are sharing them with us. There were so many things my mom made when I was young and I never got recipes for them. I miss her and her cooking so much. This is just extra special for me! Thank you!!!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food - some more by chef_Tab (Sharon, it seems lik...)
I was thinking the same thing, that a lot of the recipes you mention sound like German food. Your kuchen sounds delicious and apricots are one of my favorites. Just might have to be trying this one. Thanks, Sharon.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: North Dakota Food - some more by Harborwitch (There's a wonderful ...)
Quote:

There's a wonderful food here - spelled Kuchen

Good, basic, German fare. I posted my great-grandmother's recipe for Apfel Kuchen a while back. It is delicious. If you decide to try it, though, don't be put off by the apparent incompleteness of the recipe. The way it was written, some of the things were just taken for granted (e.g. as many apples as needed to cover the dough once you've spread it out, etc.). Great stuff.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food - some more by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
This sounds interesting, Sharon. I'll have to give this a look over the holiday. I just have to decide what fruit I'd use.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: North Dakota Food - some more by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds interest...)
Well, this is another one I hope I can remember when I get home to look at and play with. Sounds really good, Sharon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com