Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing?
  Re: (...)
This year, it will be a small contingent here; just Hubby, College Boy, Teenage Daughter and me. (Teenage Daughter will be 20 on December 10!) I'm on the lookout for orphans to join us, none found yet. Anyway, I'm planning a small turkey, with stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans almondine, and pumpkin pie. Probably need to have some cranberry relish. Teenage daughter likes the jellied cranberry sauce out of the can sliced in circles. NPR had a post about gluten free Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving would be a bad time to need a gluten free menu at my house!

What does everyone else have planned?
  Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by HomeCulinarian (This year, it will b...)
We're probably having five--our two sons and one of the daughters. The other girl and grandkids have to take care of their mother, with my blessing.
A capon and a hen roasted; baked dressing; for my son, a classic green bean casserole ; chipotle cranberry sauce; sour cherry, Kirsh (sp?) cherry pie; a pecan pie--maybe something else. Happy Thaksgiving to all of you and all of our troops--may the blessings of Heaven be with you all.
  Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by HomeCulinarian (This year, it will b...)
There are so few of us this year, plans are in the air. One plan is to go to Southport to be with Mom and go OUT to eat! That will be a first! Baby girl wants desperately for us to have Thanksgiving there so she can visit with BF's family from NYC that come down every year. They have LOTS of family and fun...hard to compete with that. Mom is nearing the end of her remodel, but will not be close enough for me to go there and cook....soooo things are still in the air. There is another contingent that wants to continue having it here. There are some MAJOR advantages of going to Southport, but I would miss cooking dinner! BUT it would free me up to do all the cooking I wanted...and Christmas decorating over the holiday if I didn't have to do Thanksgiving here....decisions, decisions!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by Gourmet_Mom (There are so few of ...)
For the first time in many years, we will be able to spend Thanksgiving with lots of family members. There will be around 20 of us. SIL is hosting.... thankfully. I am bringing a green bean casserole(from C@H holiday cookbook), homemade cranberry sauce, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and beaujolais nouveu. Should be lots of fun and pretty crazy.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by chef_Tab (For the first time i...)
Thanksgiving is not really a time I get to dish up anything unusual. Traditional dishes are demanded and expected. Daughter and hubby are coming, and my MIL. Possible addition of two widowed friends, who will only come out if there is no snow but none is predicted.
Planning on a shrimp ring and that bacon/horseradish cheeseball for appys, Tom Turkey of course, my hubby insists there be stuffing and cranberry, tons of mash taters and gravy for SIL, darling daughter lives for the green bean casserole. I am serving up the pumpkin cheesecake, and they have two choices....take it or leave it
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by farnfam (Thanksgiving is not ...)
Sounds perfect Cis. We are making our turkey dinner this weekend since we will be in Wisconsin Dells for the actual Thanksgiving day.

But I am pretty much making exactly what you are. Can't wait!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by luvnit (Sounds perfect Cis. ...)
Hi,

My boyfriends relatives are flying here from all over. Hawaii, Seattle, Florida and New york to be exact. We are doing traditional Thankgiving. Turkey Stuffing, oh and a stuffing from Foodgawker called leek mushroom...it is sooooo good, I tried it last week. Also sweet potato recipe from issue 54 and butternut squash, maple syrup and gorgonzola cheese dish. A few appetizers like stuffed mushrooms and artichoke parmesian crisps from foodgawker and maybe a goat cheese appetizer but dont know which one yet.

Desert will be i think pumpkin cheesecake, sour cream apple pie and maybe nutella mousse.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by Gourmet_Mom (There are so few of ...)
Daphne, Go to Southport! It is good to mix things up occasionally! Just don't expect the T-dinner to taste like yours! You can always do another T-dinner in the middle of December or January for that matter!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]My boyfri...)
We are having around 15 for dinner, here. Looks like hubby will be home - he gets home tonight. BUT you never know. I am doing traditional Turkey the C@H make ahead gravy, stuffing, The mashed potatoes, salad, jello, rolls, drinks and pies are being assigned out.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving is in a week! What are you doing? by esgunn (We are having around...)
We are actually going out to a pretty nice dinner house - 2:00pm reservations. Just the three of us. We were invited to my brother's house but we're going to stick close to home and do something different.