Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today!
  Re: (...)
Hubby and I are attending a beaujolais festival tonight to celebrate the 2009 release. Being the wine dummy that I am, I tried to buy a bottle two days ago only to find out the State Run Liquor Store cannot sell it until today. Now I must run back this morning to get a few bottles before they run out.

The festival is at an historic inn on Penn State's campus and includes dinner. I am excited to see what is being served.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by chef_Tab (Hubby and I are atte...)
I will love knowing what they pair it with. I enjoy the Nouveau once a year when it is released, but more as a sipping wine. It is so lite and fruity I think food pairing would be difficult & interesting.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by Old Bay (I will love knowing ...)
Bill, have you ever tried a Beaujolais with a charcuterie platter??? I love the combination.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by cjs (Bill, have you ever ...)
Quote:

Bill, have you ever tried a Beaujolais with a charcuterie platter??? I love the combination.

I have not, but it sounds like a fun experience.
  Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That does sound good, Jean! I have had it a couple of times...once was really good and once not so good.

Oddly enough, the good bottle was one we pilfered from the neighbor's fridge when we went to clean out their fridge for them during the Famous Floyd Flood! (Say that five time fast...LOL!) They had some good stuff in there...LOL! It was a blessing, actually. The flood waters kept grocery trucks from arriving for several days. Some people couldn't even leave their homes...some were forced out when their houses flooded. It was a wild time. You couldn't even use the lake for travel. THEY CLOSED THE LAKE! It was a safety issue...most piers were under water and some were breaking up. We were without power for TEN DAYS! I grew to HATE the sound of that generator! I wonder if that's why it was so good...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by Gourmet_Mom (That does sound good...)
Jean, were you there too? Charcuterie Plate was the first course. (Not including the cheese and wine reception prior to dinner.) That was one of my favorite courses too. I often had no idea of what I was eating last night. I wish you were there to offer explanations.

Second course: Quenelle de Brochet--
pike quenelle with crayfish sauce. this was served with a chablis

then my favorite: Granite--
Beaujolais Sorbet. This was the biggest hit of the night for most people. It had this yummy crystalized lemon/lime zest on top. Chef Monk came out and gave me the recipe. What a nice guy.

Third course: Braised Rabbit--
grape vine smoked and braised served over chilled, poached fall vegetables with cranberry vinaigrette. served with cru beaujolais.

Fourth Course: Broiled Sole Roulade with Oxtail--
tender oxtail stuffed in sole filets with a potato cheese truffade, confit of tomatoes and a terragon and oxtail jus. served with red burgundy and another cru beaujolais

Dessert: Beaujolais Poached Pear--
with a black pepper honey and a currant creme fraiche. served with a blackberry wine made entirely from local Amish hand picked blackberries. This was so amazing.

My stomach is still full this morning. It was all very good and we were fortunate enough to be seated with fascinating people. The conversation and laughs never hit a dull spot. Three of the women love to cook and one of them took a mini class at the CIA. I did not want the evening to end.
Theresa

Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by chef_Tab (Jean, were you there...)
Sounds wonderful!! I thought the Nouveau was served he entire evening (that would have been a challange)--you had a wonderful experience. I'm so happy you're settling in your new home--it is so beautiful up there and university towns are so interesting.
  Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by Old Bay (Sounds wonderful!! I...)
Oh Theresa, what a fun night it must have been. "Beaujolais Sorbet." - sounds very interesting. Was it bruleed (burnt) as in a creme brulee? Are you going to share the recipe?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by cjs (Oh Theresa, what a f...)
Jean, I am actually hoping you understand the recipe! Here is what he wrote:

wine
sugar
-mix until disolved and a raw egg in a shell will float nickle size of the shell showing

then boil
and freeze

That is it. I did get him to explain the whole egg thing to me, how it is merely a test for viscosity
Theresa

Re: Re: Beaujolais Nouveau 2009 release today! by chef_Tab (Jean, I am actually ...)
I've not done this method with sugar (that I remember), but I have with the addition of salt to a liquid.

Put the amount of wine in a pan/pot and whisk in sugar until an egg will float in the liquid with just a nickle-size spot of white showing above the surface.

Remove the egg, bring the sugar and wine to a boil, cool and refrigerate until chilled; then put in the freezer.

That's the way I see it anyway - any other ideas??
www.achefsjourney.com