Menu Planning
  Re: (...)
Okay, I mentioned in another post that I WILL get back to my menu planning. I played all summer and just never got back into my routine when school started back. I'm going to spend a part of tomorrow to get back into my routine. I usually spend quite a bit of time looking through C@H issues and A List To Try (Thanks for the tip Billy!) in MC9. I thought it might be fun to see what you guys have cooked/eaten that was especially good in the past few months/weeks. I could go back through the previous posts, but I thought it might be a fun thread. PLUS, I figured if you still remembered something after a couple of weeks/months, it must REALLY be good!

One thing I WILL be making in the next few days are the crab cakes Jean made in Hawaii! I LOVE SEAFOOD! I'm also planning on experimenting with some appies for the holidays over the T'day break (SIX WHOLE DAYS THIS YEAR), so don't hold back on those. William LOVES appy dinners!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Menu Planning by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I mentioned in...)
Well, of course the most fun we've had with a dinner is the Reuben Pizza. (I'd better not mention any more pizzas!! )

Daphne, have you ever tried baked potatoes with a spicy fruit jelly topping and serve with your Friday nite steaks???? So good.

Asian Port Tenderloin - 10/5/09
with Asian Noodle Salad (C@H
Onion Gratin - old recipe
Curried Lentil Burritos - 9/20/09
C@H recipe
Ahab's Wife's Seafood Chowder - 9/19/09
Just Dinosaur Ribs - 9/13/09
Salmon & Corn Chowder - 9/8/09
Grilled Fresh Corn in Spicy Lime Dressing

The above takes us back to the first of Sept. - had no idea we had eaten so darn many pizzas!! A lot of eating out of the freezer also, so just don't have a lot of dishes we tried and especially liked the last few months.

Now, tho, with all my new cookbooks (I must have 8 or 10!) I'm going to play for a while.

Good thread Daphne, anxious to hear the others favorites of the past few months.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Menu Planning by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I mentioned in...)
I have to go through my menu lists from last winter so that I can start my planning! If I come across anything that looks especially interesting, I'll post.

I have been compiling a list of recipes that I want to try as I've been reading through magazines over the past couple of weeks, but I can't possibly try them all plus make the old favorites. I'd be the size of a house!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by cjs (Well, of course the ...)
Oh, I forgot about the Reuben Pizza...poor William! Okay, that's on the list, which includes a corned beef dinner. I think I may revisit the BBQ recipe for that one, he likes that...that's two for sure. There's some good ones there. I'll have to go back and look up the Just Dinosaur Ribs. I think I remember that one....and the chowder! Oh yea!

Okay folks, these are not set in stone...Whacha got?

BTW, Jean, I'm going to do the "Pick a Cookbook" menu planning right after Christmas...gotta wait and see what I get!

Vicci, we must have been posting at the same time. Yes, please post. You have such great taste and challenging menus! I LOVE that!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I forgot about t...)
Great thread topic. I feel like I have really been taking it easy since school started - and that was on August 20.

I've been making such basic mundane things. It doesn't help that it gets dark early - my brain is wired to be tired then and grilling is pretty much eliminated during the week. And I'm already a little tired of soup (not good this early!).

Looking forward to all the responses.
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by Trixxee (Great thread topic. ...)
Oh - thought of something I do want to make - those Nigella's Curried Meatballs.
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by Trixxee (Great thread topic. ...)
"I've been making such basic mundane things." YES...that's what I mean! But I just had a thought...maybe MY "basic mundane things" may not be so mundane to others.

Here's what I've been making regularly lately:

-BBQ ribs (Note to self...make up some sauces and rubs so as not to use store bought) with corn on the cob and green beans (Note: try Jean's suggestions of the corn salad)
-Roasted Chicken with Herbes de Provence with mashers and peas (Need to try some different recipes for peas)
-Country Style Steak with gravy, mashers and peas (see above)
-Bacon Blue Cheese Burgers
-French Onion Salisbury Steak
-Lasagna Soup
-Asian Pork with Noodle Salad (At least one interesting thing here)
-Uncle Wallace's Pancakes with Bacon Sauce (another new one)
-Pizzas
-Chicken Piccata
-Pork Mushroom Marsala
-Spaghetti with meat sauce

I'm sure there's more, but I'm too lazy to look it up, and I wanted to just think about "memorable" recipes. Not that all of those are "memorable", but that's the rut I'm stuck in with a few memorable meals in there. Sad, huh? So a little help is definitely needed here.

I definitely want to try Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs and use the jus to make a venison pot roast...Thanks Maryann. That's another one, for sure. But I've got at least SIX whole days of uninhibited cooking fun here!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by Gourmet_Mom ("I've been making su...)
Your mundane makes mine look positively boring.

Hungarian Goulash (good, but now it's newness has worn off)
Chicken Noodle Soup
Ham and White Bean Soup
White Chicken Chili
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Meatball Pizza
Ravioli w/meatballs (see what I mean?)
BBQ ribs
Teriyaki chicken
Pork Fried Rice topped with fried eggs
'Frisco burgers
Chicken, Mozzarella & Pesto paninis
Chicken stuffed with goat cheese & basil
Thai chicken curry (red)
Salads topped with panko chicken or grilled chicken
Grilled chicken sandwiches w/goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes & arugula

All basic stuff.
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by Trixxee (Your mundane makes m...)
Nope, not mundane...mine is. I got several ideas. I have only tried ravioli once with Jean's beet recipe. I've been meaning to try it again...now for filling ideas!

I have really GOT to do better with sammies and soups. New goal...make some soups to freeze and gather some cool sammies ideas.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Menu Planning by Gourmet_Mom (Nope, not mundane......)
The things that come to mind as especially good are:
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?