What defines white chocolate?
  Re: (...)
I had a bag of Ghiraradelli (sp) white chips and it was mainly hydrogenated oils and flavoring. I wasn't impressed by the flavor of these.

I picked up a bag at Trader Joe's last week and, although the bag is labeled "white baking chips" it does contain cocoa butter as its second ingredient (after sugar). Would this be what is meant when a recipe asks for "white chocolate"?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: What defines white chocolate? by foodfiend (I had a bag of Ghira...)
Vicci, I run from white chocolate chips as fast as I can. I think they are terrible.

White chocolate is a mixture of sugar, cocoa butter, milk solids, lecithin and vanilla. There is no chocolate 'liquor' in it, so not a real chocolatey flavor to it.

I look for the bulk white chocolate rather than the chips, but Trader Joe's is good too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by cjs (Vicci, I run from wh...)
Peter is not a fan of white chocolate BUT I do use it every now and then---with no complaints. The chips are terrible--as Jean said! I only use the Lindt brand block for baking----I LOVE white chocolate so this is a staple in my baking cupboard---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by Roxanne 21 (Peter is not a fan o...)
Hmmm, I never knew exactly what "white chocolate" was! So I am assuming that when a recipe for white chocolate brownies calls for melting white chocolate chips, I can use the TJ's stuff I bought but not the Ghiradelli (again, sp...), which I should probably pitch. ???
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by foodfiend (Hmmm, I never knew e...)
Vicci, I recently gave Ghiradelli (sp?) a try and didn't like it at all! As a matter of fact, I think I'm going to order some chocolate for my Christmas baking and goodies, etc. The only other option I have is Hershey's and Tollhouse. I'm thinking there are some better options out there for my chocolate chip cookies.

Now does somebody want to help me out with a site to buy my chocolate? (Vicci, I hope you don't mind if I sidetrack your thread a little.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I recently ga...)
Daphne, hijack away!!!

Mail-ordering, for me, is a last-resort move. I usually welcome any opportunity to drive to different parts of the city to look for specialty ingredients (and perhaps try a new restaurant). For this white chocolate, I waited too long to ask and need to use it tomorrow. Nothing like procrastination!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by foodfiend (Daphne, hijack away!...)
"I usually welcome any opportunity to drive to different parts of the city to look for specialty ingredients (and perhaps try a new restaurant)." That's funny! I wish I lived in or near a city where that was an option. More and more, mail order is becoming my only option. Going to the city is an ALL day trip. While I love it, with only Saturdays to do this and all the other stuff I have to do over the weekend, this is only a monthly option. When I go, there is usually a long list of stuff to do/get making it a frenzy of shopping. Then there is the issue of not knowing where to start. Wilmington is not a culinary mecca. To "kill" a precious Saturday and come home empty handed would be VERY frustrating. I envy you guys that live in or very close to a major city.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by Gourmet_Mom ("I usually welcome a...)
Baker's is good, if you can get it. I just saw some in one of the stores, here, for the first time in a couple years, so I bought the last six boxes they had so I could make some White Chocolate Banana Cream Pies.

Do NOT buy Nestle's "white confection" (or whatever they call it) it is fractionated palm kernel oil, and NOT white chocolate.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by labradors (Baker's is good, if ...)
Labs, I can get Baker's here...forgot about that one. And Vicci, they DO have a white chocolate variety. I've seen it at our Walmart, of all places....LOL!

Labs, do you think I could break up some of the Baker's semi-sweet and use the "chunks" in my chocolate chip cookies? And while we're at it, I know you advocate Mexican chocolate for hot cocoa but would this be an option over ordering Mexican chocolate? I bought some just for this purpose, but haven't had a chance to try it! Tomorrow, probably!

BTW, Vicci, have you tried that Rummed Hot Cocoa yet? YUM!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What defines white chocolate? by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I can get Bake...)
Quote:

Labs, do you think I could break up some of the Baker's semi-sweet and use the "chunks" in my chocolate chip cookies?

Sure! As you break them up, try to make them all as close to the same size as possible so they'll all melt about the same amount.

Quote:

And while we're at it, I know you advocate Mexican chocolate for hot cocoa but would this be an option over ordering Mexican chocolate? I bought some just for this purpose, but haven't had a chance to try it! Tomorrow, probably!

That should be okay, too, although Ibarra is probably the best, if you can get it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?