Look at what I just got...
  Re: (...)
I just picked up a Sunset Holiday Cookbook. As I told Jean, I almost didn't pick it up, since the cover was sweet stuff. Then I noticed the Sunset at the top, so I flipped through! WOW! Everything from Starters to Desserts and everything in between! Here's a couple things to make you jealous:

This is a dark chocolate brownie topped with a chocolate ganache and melted peppermints. I don't usually care for chocolate and peppermint that much, but these just LOOK so good! (Sorry, my scanner is messed up, so this is the best I could do...LOL!)

[Image: DSC03112.jpg]

Then there's this recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Romesco Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 T Olive oil
2 medium onions -- halved and thinly sliced
About 1/2 t salt
6 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 t hot Spanish or Hungarian paprika -- or regular sweet
1/2 cup red lentils -- hulled, sorted of debris and rinsed
3 jars roasted red peppers -- (12 oz each)drained and rinsed of any charred bits
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz.)
About 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
About 1 T good-quality red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sliced almonds -- toasted
Roasted almond oil or extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)

Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and 1/2 t salt and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft, 5 to 10 minutes; reduce heat, if necessary, to keep onions from browning.

Add garlic and cook, uncovered, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in paprika and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, peppers, tomatoes, and 1 1/3 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer, cover, and cook until lentils are extremely soft (taste to check), about 30 minutes.

In a blender, puree soup in three batches until very smooth, at least 3 minutes per batch. Add dry milk and vinegar to the last batch. Combine batches and season with salt and vinegar to taste; add a bit more broth if soup seems too thick.

Serve the soup topped with almonds and a drizzle of oil if you like.

(I'm thinking some goat cheese crumbled on top would be good, also!)

Source:
"Sunset Holiday Cookbook 2009" YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Look at what I just got... by Gourmet_Mom (I just picked up a S...)
oh my, I forgot to tell Roy to look for the mag. at the store.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by cjs (oh my, I forgot to t...)
Oh, I forgot to mention, the starters are paired with cocktails!

And who is it on here that likes Martinis, Bill? There's a recipe for Martini Mahi Mahi!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I forgot to ment...)
Oh, doesn't that sound interesting - I'm on my way, Bill!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by cjs (Oh, doesn't that sou...)
Oh my - I love peppermint brownies at Starbucks - and these look right
up my alley.

I will have to look for this Holiday CookBook - Don't believe I noticed it.
But will look tomorrow.

Soup looks interesting also.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I forgot to ment...)
Quote:

There's a recipe for Martini Mahi Mahi!

Oh... yum... seafood martinis!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Look at what I just got... by Gourmet_Mom (I just picked up a S...)
Those brownies look so beautiful! Really nice. I will have to look for this publication. Thanks for the tip Gourmet Mom.

I found the recipe on the interent. I want to make these today. If you are around, can you tell me if the topping of candies are crispy or what is the texture of them after they are cooked. just curious.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by iCook (Those brownies look ...)
I just found the book today - Thanks a lot Daphne! Lots of fun recipes - just curious, I thought Sunset was a west coast magazine, why is it showing up in your back woods...

Karen, The recipe says it is crunchy. You melt the candies and make a thin crunchy sheet. There is the chocolate brownie, a ganache layer then the crunchy pepermint layer. If making ahead - you keep the candy layer seperate from the brownie/ganache layer until serving.

There were also more fun variations;
Coconut and macadamia
chrushed toffee
Double peanut
Raspberry
Rocky Road
White chocolate swirl.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by esgunn (I just found the boo...)
Erin, I think the specialty books are sold everywhere - when we lived in Illinois, I kept my subscription and got the California (where we came from) area magazine.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Look at what I just got... by cjs (Erin, I think the sp...)
Erin, that is what made me pick it up. I have picked up a lot of Sunset recipes online over the past few years, but I had never seen the magazine. I'm glad I recognized the name. It's a really cool Cookbook! I like that they separated it by course rather than putting together "meals".

Karen, I'll only add to Erin's comment about the candies....you put them in the fridge to "crisp" up. Like I said before, I don't usually like peppermint and chocolate together, but these are so pretty, I'll probably make them. The fact that the brownies are made with bittersweet chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder and the ganache is made with semi-sweet makes it a given! I can always take the peppermint off...LOL! The rest of the family likes the combination, so I know they'll like them.
Daphne