Turnip Gratin...made with GRUYERE CHEESE!
  Re: (...)
You know, I have been looking at this all weekend trying to decide. Tonight I decided to check out the recipe. It's a Pioneer Woman recipe. The hesitation had to do with my childhood dislike of turnips. Recently I had a dish with turnips and really liked it! I can say no more.

ANYWAY, I finally checked out the recipe. It's three layers of butter (optional after the first layer), thinly sliced turnips, minced garlic, a splash each of chicken broth and cream and LOTS of Gruyere cheese cooked up in an iron skillet. That's what got me...the cheese! I'm making this for Thanksgiving. My mother will think I'm crazy, but I'm thinking this will be a really good dish. Plus I hope it will encourage my kids to take a closer look at turnips. I probably won't tell them what it is or make like it's potatoes...LOL! NAH! They're really good eaters. They ALWAYS give a new dish a fair taste.

Here's where you will find the recipe: Turnip Gratin
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Turnip Gratin...made with GRUYERE CHEESE! by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I have bee...)
I don't like raw turnips but I love them cooked. This sounds really good and I'm saving this one
  Re: Re: Turnip Gratin...made with GRUYERE CHEESE! by DFen911 (I don't like raw tur...)
for holiday meals in honor of my mother-in-law (who died 20 years ago). I make it just like I do mashed potatoes, but you have to really drain them well, as they are kind of watery. Everyone takes a small serving and remembers Anne and how much she liked mashed turnips.

Sally
  Re: I always make mashed turnips by lxxf (for holiday meals in...)
This sounds good! And now that you're reaching out to our root vegetable friends, here is a great soup -

* Exported from MasterCook *

WHITE ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP WITH THYME BUTTER
Bon Appetit
Serving Size : 12

8 T. butter -- room temp.
3 T. minced fresh thyme
6 med leeks -- (white & pale green only), sliced
2 clove garlic -- minced
10 c chicken broth -- low-salt (or more)
2 lbs celery root -- (celeriac), peeled, cut in 1" pcs.
1 1/2 lbs turnips -- peeled, each cut in 8 wedges
1 lb parsnips -- peeled, cut in 3/4" pcs.
1/2 c whipping cream

Mix 6 T. butter & thyme in small bowl to blend well. Season thyme butter to taste w/salt/pepper.

Melt remaining 2 T. butter in heavy large pot over med. heat. Add leeks & garlic & saute till leeks are tender but not brown, about 10 min. Add 10 cups broth, celery root, turnips & parsnips; bring to boil. Reduce heat to med., cover & simmer till veggies are very tender, ~50 min. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender till smooth.

Return soup to pot; stir in cream; season w/salt/pepper.

(Thyme butter & soup can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap butter in plastic wrap. Cool soup slightly. Frig uncovered till cold, then cover & keep chilled. Rewarm soup over med. heat, adding more broth, if desired, to thin.)

Ladle soup into 12 bowls. Top each w/small piece to thyme butter; swirl into soup & serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I always make mashed turnips by cjs (This sounds good! An...)
How about cooking turnip as you would potatoes and then add a bit of butter and cream to the mash----YUMMM!!!! This is always a hit here....so very simple One of my Thanksgiving dinner additions...LOVE turnip done in this way!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: I always make mashed turnips by Roxanne 21 (How about cooking tu...)
I don't know if I'm ready for the mashed ideas quite yet....too close to the kind my grandmother used to serve.

I do like the soup idea. And a new root!!!! AND I've seen it at the grocery store in town...I think. I remember seeing it there or in the city, but didn't get it, since I didn't have an idea on how to use it at the time. I think I've seen since then a tv chef mashing them with potatoes.
Daphne
  Re: Re: I always make mashed turnips by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know if I'm ...)
I forgot about my recipe for a turnip puff----now this is a great way to make turnip ahead of time and then pop in the oven at the last.......I will see if I can remember where I filed it......GEESH!!! This is the only turnip recipe that I have made and there are NO leftovers!!!
  Re: Re: I always make mashed turnips by Roxanne 21 (I forgot about my re...)
Here it is----

WHIPPED TURNIP PUFF

4 cups cooked turnip---mashed
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 eggs beaten lightly

Mix ingredients thoroughly. Spoon into a greased six cup casserole dish. Brush with butter and BAKE at 375 degrees for about an hour---I do about 45 minutes.

This recipe was given to me MANY MOONS ago by a colleague in the operating room---I do not know the original author...sorry~!

Nice dish!!
  Re: Re: I always make mashed turnips by Roxanne 21 (Here it is----[br][b...)
Isn't that an interesting one! Thanks Roxanne! Copied and saved.
Daphne
  Re: Turnip Gratin...made with GRUYERE CHEESE! by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I have bee...)
This Turnip Gratin sounds really good. Did you try it Daphne? Did you like it?
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)