Turnip prep questions
  Re: (...)
Okay, I grew up with turnips, but HATED them. This means I have NO experience with prepping them. I am finalizing my schedule for the next two days, and I want to do as much prep work as I can tomorrow. How early can I slice the turnips? Do they need to sit in cold water in the fridge?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Turnip prep questions by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I grew up with...)
Daphne, in my family we all disliked turnips except for my Dad. I remember Mom peeling and slicing them, then placing them in a container in the refrigerator with cold water until she was ready to cook them. Maybe she added lemon juice?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by foodfiend (Daphne, in my family...)
That'll work. And do you make your mashed potatoes ahead and heat in a casserole for dinner?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by cjs (That'll work. And do...)
Thanks Vicci...that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. This will help, since I'll be able to slice today. These are almost as bad to peel and slice as rutabagas. Making room for all my prep in the fridge is a priority today. Now that I think about it, I realize we usually have rutabagas for T'day also. I may pick up a couple today at the store. I can make these ahead and just rewarm.

Jean, I've got to check with the kids again, but I think we're having rice. If not, yes, I'll make ahead and put over boiling water to keep warm...unless you have a better idea.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Vicci...that'...)
Mashed potatoes also work to make ahead and keep warm in a crock pot - on low or keep warm if you have that setting.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by esgunn (Mashed potatoes also...)
I also have a GREAT potato puff recipe---too late though!!!

I always thought that rutabagas were very similar to turnip?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by cjs (That'll work. And do...)
I just made my potatoes for tomorrow. 5lbs peeled and boiled, then mashed with 8 oz cream cheese, 1 cup sour cream and 2 tsp garlic salt. Just as good the 2nd or 3rd day. Heat for about an hour at 350 then stir vigorously and voila. Wouldn't do it any other way now.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by Dismc (I just made my potat...)
Exactly what I do too, Shannon!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by cjs (Exactly what I do to...)
Dahpne how did the turnips come out?
  Re: Re: Turnip prep questions by DFen911 (Dahpne how did the t...)
The review on this is buried in my T'day post, so I'll post it here.

The turnip lovers at the table LOVED it, but hey, with all that cheese, what's not to love. I'm not sure if it was the turnips or me, but there were a few bites that were slightly bitter. The turnips I bought were from the store in town and did not have the greens attached. I noticed that the local store have them with the greens, probably locally grown. So that may make the difference. I'll probably try those next time since William will probably insist I make it again.
Daphne