Turkey Leftover Ideas - FROM 2009
  Re: (...)
I'm too tired to post anything here today, but wanted to get this thread going and maybe do one each year as we collect/think of more new ideas.

What do you all do with your leFtovers????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas - FROM 2009 by cjs (I'm too tired to pos...)
Other than Turkey Carcass Soup, I will often do a Turkey Divan, Turkey and Leek Casserole, and Cobb Sammies (tomorrow's lunch), just to name a few.

Just a minute ago, I opened the freezer for some ice and saw a package of spinach and got to thinking. I want to make a dish with turkey, spinach, cheese sauce, pasta...sort of a clean out the pantry/fridge kinda thing. I've decided to "create" something fun! I've got some really nice goodies in there, and they all seem to be compatible. I think I'll make a list of my goodies and see what I can come up with! To be honest, I have so many ideas running through my brain, I may cook another turkey just to make them all. I'm also thinking about switching up my soup this year. This ought to be fun! I'll keep you all posted.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Other than Turkey Ca...)
If we only had enough leftover turkey for one "recipe", I would have to choose my very favorite which is a sandwich, on my Gram's buns, of sliced turkey, tomato, iceberg lettuce, and mayo. This year, I don't have the buns, but I bought iceberg for the first time since last Thanksgiving and had this for lunch. It reminds me of living with Mom and Dad, and being a kid... DH would choose a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes, stuffing, and whatever leftover veggie we had. This was his lunch today.

But for the rest of that almost-22 pound bird, we had turkey tetrazzini for dinner tonight, and in the next few days will have turkey salad (with apples and grapes), Hot Brown sandwiches, Lab's soup which came up on this site yesterday, maybe more tetrazzini (!), and turkey carcass soup at the very end (to be frozen for winter lunches). Oh, and I almost forgot-- turkey enchiladas with cranberry salsa!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by foodfiend (If we only had enoug...)
Great idea Vicci--

Hot Brown Casserole

3/4 C butter
3/4 C flour
2 eggs
6 C milk
2 C grated extra sharp cheddar (like Cabots)
1/4 C heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste
16 slices bread (white or whole wheat)
16 thin slices roast turkey
1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Paprika
8 bacon slices
1 C tomato, seeded & diced

Heat oven to 350.
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add flour,(med heat) stirring to make a roux. Cook 2 to 3 min. Beat eggs well and beat into milk. While stirring, very slowly add milk mixture into butter mixture. Use whisk to keep flour from lumping. If it lumps keep stirring in milk--it will loosen. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese. Stir to melt cheese, then add cream, salt & pepper to taste.

Toast bread until golden. Line the botom of a 9-13-2 inch casserole (6 slices), and an 8 by 8 by 2 inch (2 slices) with toast trimmed to fit. Cut remaining slices of toast into triangles with crust removed and set aside. Top toast with slices of turkey. Cover turkey with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan and paprika. Place in oven for 15 min or until golden brown. While casserole is baking fry bacon, cut in half , until crisp. Drain. Dice tomatoes into small bits.

Remove from oven, cover with bacon strips, sprinkle with tomato, and cover with toast points. Serves 8 with a salad.

Modified from Sarah Fritsghner's Derby 101.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by Old Bay (Great idea Vicci--[b...)
Bill, you ROCK!!!!

I never knew that there was a casserole version! We love this, and making the individual sandwiches is so... fussy. Looks like the same ingredients, so this is now on for dinner tomorrow!

Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by foodfiend (Bill, you ROCK!!!! ...)
Same here, but for next week! I think I made this last year for the Derby weekend OR after T'day...LOL! But sorry Bill, I'm going to pass on the casserole until Derby weekend. I'm going to try Jean's "sandwich" version. There are fewer calories...LOL! Like half...as if that's much of an improvement....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by Gourmet_Mom (Same here, but for n...)
Package all stuffing, turkey and gravy into icechests and mail them to me

I'm doing that sausage balls inside stuffing and fried dish I saw on FN.

Oh and with the greenbeans I'm thinking empanada's

I will do turkey soup with the carcas because that is the law.

With the left over meat and potatoes I'm thinking mini sheppards pies. Like in muffin cups. Or maybe a take on bread pudding with the rolls and gravy done in muffin cups.
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by DFen911 (Package all stuffing...)
Oh boy, what a great thread so far! Here are a few of our favorites - in addition to some of the above, especially Hot Brown Sandwiches.

I don't know why this one didn't make the cut for the pizza book 'cause it is good...(maybe 'cause I didn't play with it and make my own. This is a Hellman's recipe.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

MONTEREY TURKEY PIZZA - leftovers

1/2 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
1 cup diced cooked turkey
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 can chopped green chilies -- (4.25 oz.) undrained
4 green onions -- sliced
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 6 oz.)
1 prebaked pizza crust -- (12-in.)

1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. In large bowl, combine Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise, turkey, tomato, Parmesan cheese, chilies, green onions, garlic and 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese.

3. On baking sheet, arrange pizza crust. Evenly top with turkey mixture, then remaining 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese.

4. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

an absolute favorite -

TURKEY & SWEET POTATO CROQUETTES WITH CRANBERRY APPLE SALSA
Recipe By :Gourmet, 11/90

FOR THE CROQUETTES:
1/3 Cup chopped onion
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup a.p. flour + 1/2 cup addtl. for dredging
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup chicken broth (or mix 2 T. of Lamb reduction + 2 T. water to thin)
2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey (or l/o llamb)
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
an egg wash made by beating lightly 2 lg. eggs with 1 T. water
1 1/2 cups fine fresh bread crumbs (or Panko)
FOR THE SALSA:
1/2 cup finely chopped picked-over fresh cranberrries
3/4 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple tossed w/1 T. lemon juice
1 Tablespoon honey
2 scallions, chopped fine
3 Tablespoons golden raisins, chopped fine
2 fresh jalapeno or serrano chilies, or to taste, seeded & minced
Vege oil for deep-frying the croquettes

CROQUETTES:
In small pan cook the onion in the butter over moderate. low heat, stirring for 5 min., stir in 1/4 c. of the flour, & cook the roux mixture over low., stirring, for 3 min.

Stir in the milk & broth, cook, stirring till it forms a paste, & cook the paste, stirring, for 3 more min.
Remove pan from heat, stir in the turkey (or lamb), tatoes, cayenne & s & P to taste & combine the mixture well.
Chill the turkey mixture, covered for 2 hours, or till it is firm (I put it in the freezer for ~25 min. worked great), & roll level Tablespoons of it into balls.

Dredge the balls in flour, shaking off the excess, coat w/the egg wash, & dredge in bread crumbs, transferring them to wax paper (or parchment) as they are coated.

The croquettes may be made up to this point 1 month in advance, and kept wrapped well & frozen.
Thaw the croquettes for 1 hour.
If serving immediately, let them dry at room temp. for 1 hour.

SALSA:
In a small bowl combine the salsa ingred.& season w/salt to taste. Chill the salsa, covered for 1 hour.

TO FINISH:
In a lg. saucepan heat 2" of oil to 365°. Fry the croquettes in batches for 1 - 1 1/2 min. (mine took ~2 - 2 1/2 min), or till they are golden brown, transfer to paper towels to drain.

Serve w/the salsa.

Yield:
"24 croquettes"

and this [Email]C@H[/Email] recipe -

Turkey Tortilla Soup

Heat Oil -- Stir in:
2 T. olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion -- minced
2 T. garlic -- minced
3 corn tortillas (6 inch each) -- cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (101/2 oz.)
4 cups chicken broth
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. dried oregano
1/2 t. cayenne
Add:
2 cups cooked turkey or chicken -- shredded or cubed
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded
2 T. fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper
Sour cream

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high; add onions and garlic, and saute 3 minutes. Stir in tortilla pieces and saute until they are no longer crisp. Add tomatoes, broth, and spices, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes, then puree soup base in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to pot.

Add turkey, corn, and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes, or until beginning to thicken. Reduce heat to medium, sprinkle in cheese, and stir until melted. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.

(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 36)
Makes: 8 Cups Total Time: 45 Minutes

Black Bean Salsa
(Cuisine at home, December 2005, Issue 54, p. 37)
Makes: 3 Cups Total Time: 10 Minutes

Combine:
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
1 cup tomatoes, seeded, diced
1/2 cup red onion, slivered
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 T. jalapeño, seeded, minced
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, tossing well to coat. Chill salsa until ready to serve.
someone won a contest with my Turkey chili -

TURKEY CHILI WITH WHITE BEANS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions -- chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chili powder
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 can whole tomatoes -- (28 ounce)
3 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
1 can tomato sauce -- (8 ounce)
3 cans small white beans -- (15 ounce) rinsed, drained
Chopped red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with back of spoon. Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with back of spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before continuing.)

Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro and yogurt separately.

chefCJ - Jean, thanks so much for this recipe. They raved about it and I had to pass the recipe onto everyone. I thought it could have had a bit more heat to it - personal preference - but it worked so well as my friend (who is expecting) cannot eat anything too spicy, so it worked very well.

2win - I will make this chili recipe and will submit it for my company's first annual chili cook off this Friday. I will post the result and comments

2win - Hey CJS,
Do you want to know the result? I won! The prize was a grocery gift certificate. Your recipe is really good. Who would have thunk of using cocoa powder, and cinnamon for chili.

I made some changes in the recipe not because I intentionally want to, but by either pure accident, or use what ever is available.

What I changed were:
-seasoned white beans because the store do not have plain white beans.
-added 1 cup of chicken broth because I have some left and don't want it go bad.
-add in 1 green pepper 'cause it was sitting there and was very lonely and I thought, what the hey.. so I cut it up and tossed it in.
-1/3 C. of chili powder instead of 1/4 C 'cause I couldn't find my quarter measuring cup and don't want to use any other bigger cup and 1/3 c. was available. What the hey..the more the merrier.
-additional salt.

I didn't eat any of it last night because it was getting late,and knew it was good from the little taste here and there. But, after the judging and I had a bowl, boy, was it good..delicious. EVERYONE was raving about it.

Thanks for the recipe.

Cj - 2win, congratulations!! That's just great. I'm adding your 'what the hey' ideas to the original.

I get so bored making the same chili all the time, but this is one that I've come back to often and it would be easily adapted to a slow cooker, I would think.

Lastly, here are some ideas from past days on [Email]C@H[/Email] -

TURKEY LEFTOVER IDEAS - 11/06

Billy - had forgotten another dish I make from leftovers. I make a full turkey dinner several times a year and here's another thing I do...make a cream sauce [of use Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup if you wish], add bite sized pieces of turkey, frozen peas, corn and carrots. Saute some onions and celery; add to the other ingredients and pour into a baking dish [the size depends on how much you are making] and season with salt and pepper; top with a layer of MOIST dressing; cover, and bake at 400°F until warmed through. Remove cover and bake until the top is nicely browned.

cjs - I've been making Turkey & Swt. tato croquettes w/cranberry/apple salsa the last couple years, so probably will again.
Lots of turkey sandwiches - both cold (with Miricle Whip, thank you very much! & loads of iceberg lettuce) and open hot!! YUM!

mare749 - Jean, I'm with you. Our favorite is leftover turkey sandwiches with miracle whip and iceberg. We don't usually have all that much leftover because we pack up so much for the girls and my dad to take home. I do usually make turkey soup with homemade noodles.

The following is a recipe that I made a few times (not necessarily after Thanksgiving) and the family really, really liked it. It's from a cookbook from famous New Orleans restaurants. It calls for chicken, but turkey is just as good.

Chicken Tetrazzine with Spaghettini en Casserole

1/2 butter
1 cup flour
1 qt. chicken stock
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup pimento, chopped
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
Italian and American cheese
salt and pepper
1 (4 lb.) chicken, boiled, boned and cut into strips
1 cup boiled ham, cut into strips
1/2 lb. spaghettini

Put butter in saucepan and allow to melt, add flour and cook. Stir slowly until well blended without lumps. Make sure flour is cooked. Add chicken stock, mix well, then add yolks and stir. Now add chicken, ham, mushrooms, and pimentos, stirring to mix all ingredients. Fold in spaghettini that has been freshly boiled. Place in casserole dish, sprinkle with grated American and Italian cheese. Bake until cheese is melted golden brown.
Serves 6

DeFen911 - Oh leftovers are the best!!
I take the stuffing and form patties and fry them up. Or potato pancakes.
Turkey Sandwiches with cranberry sauce ala panini style
Turkey Noodle Soup!!

farnfam - Oh and don't forget a turkey fajita or two. And one year I made a turkey tortilla soup, I think it was a [Email]C@H[/Email] recipe even.

dollop - We also love this recipe:
This is a wonderful recipe and even better when using up leftover cranberry sauce!

Cranberry Crab Meat and Cream Cheese Appetizers

½ cup whole berry cranberry sauce - homemade is best (or purchased)
1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup minced crab meat
2 tablespoons green onion, white and green parts, sliced
15 individual mini-phyllo shells, thawed

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place cranberry sauce in a small mixing bowl; beat with a fork or wire whisk until smooth.
Combine cream cheese, crab meat and green onion in a small mixing bowl.
Fill each shell with about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture.
Top with 1/2 teaspoon cranberry sauce.
Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Makes 15 individual servings.

MADE THIS 11/25/06 - it's great!

Description:
"from Cuisine at Home forum"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by DFen911 (Package all stuffing...)
Quote:

Oh and with the greenbeans I'm thinking empanada's

Maybe, with the green beans and some of the turkey, tempura would be an interesting idea.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Turkey Leftover Ideas by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well, isn't this timely - on my Whole Foods newsletter, this is a great list they sent out -

Holiday Leftovers Tips
Thank goodness for leftovers. One of the joys of being the holiday host is having delicious leftovers available for subsequent meals. Here are a few tips to help make sure all of your wonderful food goes to good use.

Clear the table and put the leftovers away as soon as you finish eating. Prepared food shouldn't remain out longer than two hours to ensure food safety.

Share the wealth. Have containers available to easily pack leftovers to send home with your guests.

If you stuff your turkey, be sure to remove the stuffing before storing the turkey leftovers. Also, remove the meat from the bones for the best storage.

Break the turkey carcass into pieces and store along with any other bones, scraps, giblets and vegetable trimmings such as onion ends and carrot peels. To make stock, add water to cover and simmer one to two hours. Try our simple recipe for Golden Chicken Broth — just replace the chicken bones with turkey bones.

In general, refrigerated leftovers should be used within three to four days. Too much for that time frame? Freezing is a perfect solution. Frozen leftovers will have the best quality if used within two to four months. Be sure to properly seal leftovers in airtight containers before freezing in order to avoid freezer burn.

Consider storing leftovers in portion-size containers to ease reheating.

Whether using an oven, microwave or stovetop, reheat foods thoroughly to 165°F, until hot and steaming.

Make New Exciting Dishes from your Leftovers

Mashed Potatoes
Mix with some cooked chopped cabbage, kale or other hearty winter green for a quick version of colcannon, an Irish staple.

Combine with a little chopped onion and beaten egg, form into patties and pan-fry for delicious potato cakes. Adding a little cooked grain to the mix will make them even more wonderful — try wild rice or barley.

Sauté sliced leeks in butter until soft, then puree with chicken stock and mashed potatoes for a delicious winter soup.

Baked Sweet Potatoes

Mix a cup of mashed sweet potatoes into your favorite muffin or quick bread recipe.

Make a quick sweet-potato bisque by pureeing peeled or mashed potatoes with stock and coconut milk. Stir in a little curry paste or powder for an exotic touch, or add cooked rice and chopped turkey for a hearty main course.
Make sweet potato croquettes: mix chilled, mashed potatoes with beaten egg, roll into cylinders and coat with panko breadcrumbs. Pan-fry until crisped and heated through.

Cranberry Sauce

Mix with plain yogurt for breakfast or a satisfying snack.
Stir some chopped pecans or walnuts into your sauce and serve as a chutney with crackers and cheeses — particularly delicious with Stilton or farmhouse Cheddar!

Mix into applesauce and serve hot with pork chops or as a topping for pancakes or waffles.

Roasted Vegetables

Chop and use in a brunch or lunch frittata or quiche; add a little diced ham or dark-meat turkey for extra flavor.
Mix with cooked, cooled grains like barley, wheat berries or brown rice and toss with your favorite vinaigrette for a satisfying lunch or side dish.

Roll in tortillas or sandwich wraps with slices of mild cheese for a quick lunch or dinner wrap.

Rolls and Breads

Dice and use in your favorite recipe for bread pudding or strata.

Make a panzanella (Italian bread salad) by tossing cubed day-old bread or rolls with lots of quartered grape tomatoes, diced red onion, baby greens, and olive oil and balsamic.

Don't forget French toast! Rich, dense breads like brioche or honey-wheat work particularly well.

Make and freeze some breadcrumbs: Tear bread into pieces (even really stale bread works fine) and whirl it a food processor; freeze in a zip-close bag and you'll have breadcrumbs on hand for topping casseroles, breading cutlets or making meatloaf.

Stuffing or Dressing

Reheat in the microwave and top with fried or poached eggs for breakfastóparticularly delicious with sausage or sage stuffing!

Make "stuffing muffins" by pressing dressing or stuffing into the cups of a butter muffin tin and baking at 350°F until hot and crisp on top; sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs just before serving.

Mix with nuts or dried fruit and use as a filling for halved, roasted winter squash like acorn or delicata.

Turkey

Check out our favorite recipes using leftover turkey, or try these quick fixes:

Dice leftover turkey (dark meat is particularly firm and flavorful) and toss with mayo, a little mustard, and some chopped apple and celery for a fabulous sandwich filling. Try it on toasted raisin bread!

For a turkey Cobb salad, spread chopped lettuce over a platter and top with rows of diced turkey breast, crumbled blue cheese, chopped tomato, chopped red onion, and diced avocado; serve with oil and vinegar or your favorite vinaigrette.

Boil up your favorite pasta shape, then toss with shredded turkey, prepared pesto sauce, lots of freshly grated black pepper and Parmesan.

Ham

Dice finely and add to your favorite mac' n cheese recipe.
Make a quick stir-fry with ham, onion, pineapple, bell peppers and your favorite stir-fry sauce; serve over jasmine rice or soba noodles.

Make homemade deviled ham, an outrageous treat: Whirl diced ham in a food processor with mustard, chopped scallions, mayonnaise and a little cayenne pepper; use as a sandwich filling or spread on crackers or cucumber slices.

Gravy

Use to moisten just about any sandwich; soaks gorgeously into fluffy rolls or ciabatta!

Toss with whole wheat farfalle or egg noodles and lots of fresh chopped parsley for a hearty side dish.

Stir a few spoonfuls into a broth-based soup like chicken noodle or mushroom barley for instant flavor and richness.
www.achefsjourney.com