It's ON!!!!
  Re: (...)
Ok folks..Thanksgiving is officially behind us. The Christmas holiday is fast approaching. Menu's people I need menu's. Let's hear about the appy's, main course, snacks. Where do we get it, how do we use it? What’s new, fun and what’s a flop?
27 days folks and the clock is ticking!

Cocktails..Jean come girl don't just sit there! I need something new and fresh.

Labs I expect a fun spicy dish mister, no holding the good stuff to yourself

Daphne what's happening in the garden...what veggies are doing great that we get to play with?

Bill come son...stop reading the old posts..I need a family fav and I need it chop chop.

Sharon sweetie I know you have your hands full with the move and all but let's have a sexy dish please. I know you're up for it

Erin fast and simple dishes…GO!

Roxanne bring me exotic! What’s the in thing to cook over there?

Barbara you’re on tips and tricks. Or what fun new gadget should be using this season?

Theresa give us your input in wines What’s something yummy we simply must try?

Cis – rolls or loaves. You’ve been the go to bread gal now so what’s the word?

Vicci you did such a great job on the baked goods what’s going to be the go to dessert for gift giving or the family dinner?

And I know for a fact we have a slew of creative folks out there!!! If you have the info jump in and shout it out.

You lurkers…yeah you I see you on the who’s online…don’t think you’re going unnoticed.

Ok folks you have your homework. The clock is ticking. Let’s make this best season EVER!! Now move! Move! Move… get and post as soon as possible. With the folks we have here contributing there is no reason not to have the most awesome food EVER!
  Re: It's ON!!!! by DFen911 (Ok folks..Thanksgivi...)
Well, MS Denise - have you checked out the Pineapple Drop Martinis yet??? They are wonderful! Here they are again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pineapple Drops - MADE IN HAWAII*****

1 1/2 cups pineapple juice and vodka
3 T. fresh lime juice
Couple of lime wedges
about 1 cup sugar
Fresh pineapple -- cut into 3/4" chunks

In a pitcher, mix p.apple juce, vodka, and lime juice, then chill until cold.

Rub lime wedges around rims of 6 martini glasses. Pour sugar onto a large plate. Dip rims of glasses in sugar. Divide vodka mixture among glasses. Push a few p.apple chunks onto each skewer and set one in each glass.

This turned out to be such a 'mental' cocktail - Roy first served these in a highball glass (hostess not home and didn't know where the martini glasses were) and as I was tasting it, I thought it ought to be one of the foofoo sweet drinks and really puckered up. But when Sonja came home and got the good glasses out and we sipped as you would a martini, it was just right!! Wierd. But, it's good!!

makes 6 cocktails. "Tangy & sweet, this drink pairs well with our luau, but is also good sipped solo." from Sunset, June 09 (Hawaii version)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Labs I expect a fun spicy dish mister, no holding the good stuff to yourself

Actually, my family's traditional meal for Christmas is Prime Rib with Yorkshire Pudding - not exactly spicy, but I'd be happy to oblige.

[LOL! Just had a flashback image from A Christmas Story, when they wind up in the Chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner: "It's smiling at me."]

Give me an idea of the direction you'd like to go (within reason, within my budget and within my own taste, too - no shrimp or asparagus), and I'll see what I can dream up.

Quote:

Pineapple Drops - MADE IN HAWAII*****

Jean, does that mean that this recipe may not be made at home, but REQUIRES a trip?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Denise for a fresh fun holiday cocktail - please see "apple pie - North Dakota style"! (We can't wait to make some!)

I'll work on sexy food though.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: It's ON!!!! by Harborwitch (Denise for a fresh f...)
Oh, Denise, my latest favorite find is a dessert wine from Seven Mountains Vineyards. It is made from black berries, hand picked by the Amish. I do not typically go for sweet wines, but this stuff is fabulous and would go so nicely with anything dark chocolate. My plan is truffels.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: It's ON!!!! by chef_Tab (Oh, Denise, my lates...)
It helps, labs!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: It's ON!!!! by cjs (It helps, labs!! [im...)
Well what a challenge when I stay veggie challenged...LOL! I'll work on it. Meanwhile, how about trying the Turnip Gratin. Oh, and don't forget the Rosemary Crusted Potatoes!

Turnip Gratin

Recipe By : Pioneer Woman
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 whole Turnips
3 cloves Garlic -- (to 4 Cloves)
2 cups Gruyere Cheese
4 Tablespoons Butter -- (to 6 Tablespoons)
Chicken Broth
Heavy Cream
Salt And Pepper (to Taste)
Fresh Herbs (to Taste)

Preheat the oven to 375º.

Start by peeling and thinly slicing the turnips and mincing the cloves of garlic. Grate about 2 cups of Gruyere cheese.

In a large oven-proof skillet melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Place a single layer of turnips on top of the butter. Next, sprinkle a little of the garlic on top, then - and this is purely optional and really not all that necessary - add a couple of tablespoons of butter. Next drizzle a healthy splash of chicken broth over the turnips. Next, do the same with the cream.

Now add a nice layer of Gruyere - about ½ cup. Sprinkle a bit of salt, but not much as the cheese is already salty.

Repeat these layers twice more. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper.

Now pop the whole thing into the over and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top is hot, brown and bubbly.

Source: Pioneer Woman

And don't forget these:

Rosemary-Crusted Potatoes

Recipe By :Theresa
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 pounds red potatoes -- or gold quartered
2 2/3 tablespoons fresh rosemary -- minced (or 2 t dried)
1 1/3 tablespoons dijon mustard -- stone ground
1 1/3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup panko
2/3 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a shallow baking dish or pan with nonstick spray.

Partially cook potatoes in boiling salted water to cover, about 10 minutes. Drain.

Mix rosemary, mustard, and oil in a bowl. Add potatoes; toss to coat. Sprinkle with panko, salt and pepper. Place potatoes in prepared dish. Roast them 30 minutes, then stir gently. Bake until potatoes are golden brown on most surfaces, another 10-15 minutes.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home; April, 2009; page 46"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: It's ON!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Well what a challeng...)
Here ya go, Denise, this is our recently discovered fave. Gorgeous loaves, and soooo easy:

http://ayankeeinasouthernkitchen.com/200...eal-pizza/
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: It's ON!!!! by farnfam (Here ya go, Denise, ...)
Dear heaven, it's really only 27 (almost 26, now!) days???? I have to get my list together! Back soon...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: It's ON!!!! by foodfiend (Dear heaven, it's re...)
Jean yes I’ve already saved that one!

Labs I would love your Yorkshire pudding recipe. What’s tradition for the local community you’re in?

Sharon post that drink recipe and keep working on your other homework

Theresa I’m looking for that wine. Unfortunately BevMo doesn’t carry it.

Daphne I am loving that potato recipe. I just love fresh rosemary on anything

Cis I am so glad you posted this. I did a focaccia tonight and thought of this bread. How does the texture compare to ciabiatta?

And Vicci yes it’s really coming. I’m hoping by doing this thread early while we may not have our shopping done we can rest assured our menu’s will be in place

Keep up the good work all!!