A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole
  Re: (...)
This deserves its own thread!

Bill posted the original recipe on the Thanksgiving Leftovers thread, but looking at all of the butter and cheese, I just had to play with it a bit to make it healthier.

Now, I had never even heard of a Hot Brown sandwich until somewhere around 1985 when DH, after working on the restoration of The Brown Hotel in Louisville, and I went to the grand opening. The building had been abandoned and was in a sorry state, but it turned out to be very elegant and beautiful!

We were having lunch in the hotel's grill and noticed the Hot Brown listed on the menu. One bite, and we were hooked. In a "souvenir booklet", there was a recipe and I made this at home often. However, as we got older (?? how'd that happen?!?!), I felt compelled to make changes to lower the fat and calorie count.

What I came up with was very good, albeit a little messy (each serving was made individually and, since I didn't have oven-proof dishes, I would prep them on a cookie sheet and transfer the whole toast-y, saucy-y mess to our dinner plates).

But I did it because Hot Brown Sandwiches were a post-holiday tradition.

Enter Bill and his posting of the Hot Brown Casserole recipe last night. Now, why didn't I think of making this into a casserole?!?!?

This was very, very good. And it's the lowfat version (imagine how good the original will be, if you are so inclined!). DH said that I cannot change the recipe in any way. It's still a little higher in fat that I would like, but I will listen to him. He has thanked me for making it several times, and just said that he would rather I make this again with the leftover turkey than another dinner of turkey tetrazzini-- and that has always been his favorite!

Okay, here it is. Basically, I was able to lower the calories from 778 to 509 calories, 44g total fat per serving to 16g, sat fat from 25g to 7g, and sodium from 2539mg to 1904mg.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lightened Hot Brown Casserole

Recipe By: Vicci
Serving Size : 2

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 slices whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 large egg
2 ounces lowfat cheddar cheese (Cabot's 50% less fat), shredded
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons lowfat half & half
5 ounces turkey breast slices
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
paprika
2 slices turkey bacon
1 cup chopped tomato
2 teaspoons chopped parsley -- optional

Preheat oven to 350F

Toast the bread. Place the toast in the bottom of an 8"x8" baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a saucepan, melt the butter and remove from heat. Pour in the milk and whisk (the butter may solidify a bit, but that's okay). Turn the heat to medium and, while whisking vigorously, sprinkle in the flour. Whisk very frequently as the mixture warms up then, as it begins to thicken, whisk continuously to prevent lumps until it comes to a boil. Turn the heat down a bit and cook, still whisking, for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.

In a small bowl, beat the egg and, still whisking vigorously, slowly dribble in about 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture to warm the beaten egg. Turn the heat under the milk mixture to medium and slowly pour in the egg, whisking to keep the mixture smooth. Return to barely a boil, still whisking. Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar cheese. After cheese melts, stir in the cayenne and lowfat half & half. Season with white pepper and salt to taste.

Top the toast slices with the turkey. Cover with the cheese sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and paprika and bake for about 10 minutes, or until bubbly.

While the casserole is in the oven, cook the bacon and chop coarsely.

After the casserole is ready, if desired, place under the broiler for a minute or two to brown.

Divide mixture between two plates. Sprinkle with bacon and chopped tomato. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 509 Calories (kcal); 16g Total Fat; (28% calories from fat); 44g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 174mg Cholesterol; 1904mg Sodium
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by foodfiend (This deserves its ow...)
Well done, Vicci! I may give this version a try come Derby Day! Congrats to hubby on the awesome task of bringing this historical building back to life. Very cool!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (Well done, Vicci! I...)
Does sound very good! Hey, Daphne, what happened to the shark?? (well, it always looked like a shark to me)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by foodfiend (This deserves its ow...)
I think you have something there that will be very satisfying--good job.
I'm very lucky not to have cholesterol or blood pressure problems (I control both with medication, moderation, and regular Dr. visits). We have a hot brown about once very two years because we don't prepare much turkey--to me that is very moderate consumption. I use the 2M philosophy to keep the skim milk, low fat half & half, and turkey bacon out of my refrigerator as long as I can. I know I'm very lucky but some day that may change and I have your recipe for that day. I do think it is very attractive.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by Old Bay (I think you have som...)
"Hey, Daphne, what happened to the shark??" Huh?
Daphne
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom ("Hey, Daphne, what h...)
Where's your avatar - it's like those pix that if you look at it cockeyed, it looks like a shark - I think it's a dock?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by cjs (Where's your avatar ...)
You mean my sunset with the cypress tree on the right? It's there...isn't it? It's showing on mine.
Daphne
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (You mean my sunset w...)
Daphne's avatar has been a cypress-tree sunset for ages.

...and I thought people in that condition usually saw elephants or spiders - never sharks. Must have been some REALLY good Zin!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by labradors (Daphne's avatar has ...)
ROFLOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: A "Lightened" Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (ROFLOL!...)
I guess it was the one on C2C, but your avatar was missing on my computer, at least, this a.m. It's back again.

never mind....
www.achefsjourney.com