Jean-- Chocolate Almond Biscotti
  Re: (...)
Jean,

Okay, I woke up at 3:30 am and realized that I have been forgetting to post the biscotti recipe I promised...

This was taken from Delicious magazine several years ago. I've made both the almond, and the chocolate hazelnut variation, and also (as you wanted to do) used almonds in place of the hazelnuts in the chocolate dough-- all were very good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Biscotti

Yield: 32

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 medium lemon -- peel finely grated, reserve fruit for another use
2 cups all-purpose flour -- sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
150 grams whole almonds

Preheat oven to 170C (345F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment and set aside.

Place sugar, eggs, and grated lemon rind in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until pale and thick.

Sift together flour and baking powder, fold into egg mixture gently then add almonds and continue to fold until combined.

Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead a few times until smooth (add a little additional flour if necessary).

Divide mixture in half. Form into 2 logs about 25cm x 5cm (approx 12" x 2") and place on baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until dough is firm and slightly golden.

Remove from oven, transfer to a cooling rack, and allow to cool for about an hour.

Preheat oven to 140C (300F)

Use a serrated knife to cut each log into .5cm slices (I make them about 3/8") wide slices.

Lay slices on baking tray and bake for about 15-20 minutes, turning once (or arrange the slices upright on the baking sheet so you don't have to turn them at all)

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks

Source:
"Delicious magazine"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 85 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (29% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 12mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Variation: Chocolate Hazelnut

delete lemon rind
reduce flour to 1-3/4 cups, sift in 1/4 cup best-quality unsweetened cocoa
sub hazelnuts for almonds

Note for almond biscotti- add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the egg mixture
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Jean-- Chocolate Almond Biscotti by foodfiend (Jean,[br][br]Okay, I...)
Thanks Vicci, I suppose now I will find mine, but it's probably pretty close to this one. Love to dip this in red wine...oh so good. (I don't know about rum, tho )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean-- Chocolate Almond Biscotti by cjs (Thanks Vicci, I supp...)
Okay, I think I'll give this stuff another try. The one time I tried it, the stuff came out hard enough to break your teeth. OIY!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Jean-- Chocolate Almond Biscotti by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I think I'll g...)
Well, that's kinda how biscotti is - but ...dip it in wine
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jean-- Chocolate Almond Biscotti by cjs (Well, that's kinda h...)
No, not light, crispy "hard"....I mean ROCK hard...LOL! And they were for a cookie exchange!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.