Toasted Pound Cake with Coffee Sauce
  Re: (...)
This sound VERY interesting. A friend of mine is a member of a car-racing forum whose regular emails also happen to include a "recipe of the day." Since he knows I like to cook, he forwards the recipes to me, as well. Here's the one he sent today:

Toasted Pound Cake with Coffee Sauce

Ingredients for the Vanilla-Bean Pound Cake:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and scraped, seeds reserved (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
Instructions for the Vanilla-Bean Pound Cake:
  1. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange the rack in the upper third. Butter and lightly flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
  3. Using an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add sugar and vanilla seeds and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes more. (Stop the mixer periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl.) Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  4. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in two additions, mixing each until just incorporated. (Do not overmix, or your cake will be tough.) Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top of the cake is puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Run a knife around the perimeter, invert cake to remove from the pan, and let cool completely.
Ingredients for Coffee Sauce
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Instructions for Coffee Sauce:
  1. Combine cream and espresso powder in a medium bowl and whisk until powder is dissolved; set aside.
  2. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and stir to combine. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, and let cook undisturbed until amber in color, about 5 minutes. Immediately add butter and stir to incorporate.
  3. Remove from heat and whisk in cream mixture and salt until smooth.
Final preparation:
  1. Heat the broiler to low and arrange the rack in the upper third. Scatter pound cake cubes on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until golden brown, turning cubes occasionally so they brown evenly, about 7 minutes.
  2. Serve with toothpicks to dip cake into coffee sauce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Toasted Pound Cake with Coffee Sauce by labradors (This sound VERY inte...)
That coffee sauce sounds really good, but I think William would leave me if I made a pound cake and it wasn't his grandmother's recipe...LOL! It's really good dipped in whipped cream mixed with a little Kahlua, too!

You're going to laugh...I did when my roommate in college made this the first time...but we used to take leftover pound cake, slice it, brush with softened butter, and toast it. YUM! I haven't done that in YEARS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Toasted Pound Cake with Coffee Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (That coffee sauce so...)
I did too, Daphne. I'm ready to the make the coffee sauce and just use it on a lot of goodies!! Thanks labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Toasted Pound Cake with Coffee Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (That coffee sauce so...)
Sounds really good labs. It reminds me of a recipe I wanted to try over the summer (but didn't) it was a grilled pound cake served with fruit (grilled?) it was C@H. I love pound cake!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Toasted Pound Cake with Coffee Sauce by esgunn (Sounds really good l...)
You know what would be fun - make the pound cake french fries and dip in the coffee sauce.

Just cut the pound cake into fries and bake until nicely brown and you have fries!! They are cute.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com