Terminology Question
  Re: (...)
I know...I'm full of questions tonight. Can you tell I'm procrastinating about grading those writing papers?

Here goes...I've been thinking about terminology lately. I have come across a number of what I would call "fancy" words for everyday things over the years I've been learning from you guys on these forums. And I now use many of them myself. Examples include: Bain Mair (still can't spell this one) for double boiler, Croque Monseur (sp?)for a grilled ham and cheese, etc. As I was deciding what side to fix with my stew tonight, I decided to steam some cabbage, I wondered what the difference was between my method of "steaming" and braising. (To do this, I just put a little chicken stock in the bottom of my pan and add wedges of cabbage with a little salt and pepper.)

So here's my question...What's the difference in what we do for "steamed" cabbage and "braised" cabbage?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Terminology Question by Gourmet_Mom (I know...I'm full of...)
Bain-marie

Steaming is cooking a product on a rack over liquid in a covered pan - herein lies the confusion, because green veggies should never be covered when cooking!

Braising is food browned and then cooked in very little liquid, covered, over very low heat.

That help?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Terminology Question by cjs (Bain-marie [br][br]S...)
Got it...I guess mine is stewed!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Terminology Question by cjs (Bain-marie [br][br]S...)
My mother always said if it grew above ground you never covered it to cook - underground, it gets a lid. Not so sure about how iron clad that is anymore - especially for me.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Terminology Question by Harborwitch (My mother always sai...)
Well, that's a cute way to think about it...If covered by dirt, cover with a lid!
Daphne