Reymi is gone. :(
  Re: (...)
This morning, I noticed some people whom I didn't recognise on my shared back deck. They were there with my landlady's parents, so I introduced myself, and they told me that they are here for Reymi's funeral.

Reymi was the 16-year-old daughter of my landlady. As I had reported a couple of months ago, they discovered she had stage-four adrenocortical carcinoma, and the prognosis had not been good.

Despite my trying to be of some assistance and asking about her condition, her family never really told me much about how she was, and hadn't even even mentioned she had died until I introduced myself to those people on the deck.

Although she had been home (the downstairs part of the house in which I rent my apartment) for a while, she and her mother had gone back to San Pedro Sula for further treatment about two weeks ago. They had not been back here since.

Not sure if this will mean that I'll eventually have to move, but we'll just have to see.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Reymi is gone. :( by labradors (This morning, I noti...)
I'm sorry Labs. This is sad news indeed. I wish you well and my best to Reymi's family. Prayers will be said for all.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by Gourmet_Mom (I'm sorry Labs. Thi...)
Rob, I am so sorry to hear this. Your landlady is surely grieving beyond what most of us understand. Children should not precede their parents in death. I can only imagine having a kind and responsible tenant like you gives her one less worry at this difficult time. I am sure in some way, Reymi and her mom were comforted by your concern and kindness.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by chef_Tab (Rob, I am so sorry t...)
Labs,

This is very sad news. Such a young life! My condolences to you, her family, and your friends.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Reymi is gone. :( by labradors (This morning, I noti...)
Rob I am so sorry! Crossing my fingers that you won't have to move.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by Harborwitch (Rob I am so sorry! ...)
Thanks, everyone. Sad, indeed. Reymi's father (the landlady's husband) also died of cancer several years ago, so this is a double whammy for the landlady (Maribel).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by labradors (Thanks, everyone. S...)
Oh, that's such a shame, Labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by cjs (Oh, that's such a sh...)
That's really sad news, Labs. Keeping you (and Maribel) in my prayers.
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by labradors (Thanks, everyone. S...)
So sorry, Labs. My best to the family, AND you!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Reymi is gone. :( by Old Bay (So sorry, Labs. My b...)
My condolences to Reymi's family and to you. That is a truly tragic loss. My prayers are with all of you.