Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner
  Re: (...)
O.K., here we go - Billy's birthday is/was Dec. 9th, so maybe a lot of us can aim for the night.

Here's the menu and we will have the review on Monday, Dec. 14th (will everyone check the dates I posted to see I haven't screwed it up again.... )

With this being a busy month, let's just post the recipes and we'll make what of it we can and/or want to, sound good?

Shrimp Sushi Parfait (page 12 of Billy's Book)
Food & Drink, Early Summer 2008
A number of us have made this one after Sharon & Billy showed off their pictures.

1 cup sushi rice (250 ml)
1 1/2 cups water (375 ml)
2 T. rice wine vinegar (25 ml)
1/2 tsp. sugar (2 ml)
1 tsp. salt (5 ml)
1 large ripe avocado
2 T. sour cream (25 ml)
2 large limes -- juiced -- divided
Salt to taste
2 cups cooked baby shrimp (500 ml)
1 tsp. grated ginger root (5 ml)
1/4cup red onion (50 ml) -- finely diced
1/4 cup red pepper (50 ml) -- finely diced
1/4 cup yellow pepper (50 ml) -- finely diced
1 T. chopped coriander (15 ml)
1 tsp. sesame oil
GARNISH
1 sheet Nori -- if desired
18 large cooked shrimp (we sautéed them in garlic -- butter, and lime juice)

Place rice in strainer and rinse rice until the water comes clean. Place rice and water in a medium pot and place on high heat. Place a lid on the pot and when liquid comes to a boil turn down to a simmer. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and let stand 10 minutes, covered. Place rice in a bowl and add the rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt.

Peal avocado and remove pit; either mash or purée with a food processor. Stir in the sour cream and squeeze in some lime juice and season with salt.

Roughly chop the shrimp (the small baby shrimp). In a small bowl combine shrimp, ginger, red onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, coriander, lime juice, and sesame oil. Mix to combine.

Into 6 clear glasses (large martini glasses), place 1 Tbs. (15 ml) of the shrimp mixture, followed by a layer of the avocado mousse followed by a layer of the sushi rice. Continue until all the ingredients are used up, preferably with the shrimp as a last layer. Top each parfait with a few julienned nori and 3 large shrimp.

-----
Chicken Parmesan Roulades with Caesar Salad (page 16 of Billy's book)
Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 21 Makes 8 Roulades

For the Roulades - Prepare and Roll with:
4 boneless -- skinless, chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
8 oz. fresh mozzarella -- cut into eight 2"-long pieces

Combine -- Dredge and Brown in:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 T. minced fresh parsley
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg -- beaten
1/2 cup olive oil

For the Sauce - Sauté in 2 T. Olive Oil -- Add:
1 cup onion -- chopped
1/2 t. red pepper flakes
3 cups cherry tomatoes -- pulsed in a food processor
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt to taste
Serve with:
1/2 cup Parmesan -- shredded

Preheat oven to 400° -- coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set a cooling rack on top. Put the baking sheet in the oven.

Prepare chicken by first trimming off and discarding 1" of the tail end of the breast-it's too narrow to pound out. With the knife blade parallel to the cutting board, horizontally slice each breast in half lengthwise. Pound the meat between plastic wrap to an even thickness of about 1/8". Try not to create any holes or tears.

Arrange the filling in the center of the chicken, leaving a 1" margin of meat around it. Wrap the bottom edge over the filling. Make sure the cheese is covered, and then fold in the two sides to close. Roll to the end of the cutlet-the meat will stick to itself and seal the roll naturally. Place roulade seam-side down on a plate and season.

Combine panko and parsley. Dredge roulades in flour, then dip into the egg and coat with crumbs. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium-high; add roulades and brown on all sides, 4-5 minutes. Remove roulades from the pan, transfer to the baking sheet in the oven, and roast 10 minutes. Pour off all but 2 T. oil in the pan and return the skillet to medium-high heat.

Sauté onion and pepper flakes for the sauce until onions are soft, 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened, 8-10 minutes; season with basil and salt.

Serve roulades with sauce on top, and sprinkle with Parmesan. Makes: 8 Roulades

-----
Optional side dish -

My First Soufflé – Billy J. Cotton (page 46 of Billy's book)

Cheddar, Bacon, and Scallion Soufflé

1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 slices lean bacon -- cooked, drained, reserving 2 tablespoons of the fat, and crumbled
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups milk
cayenne to taste
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Cheddar (about 6 ounces)
4 large eggs -- separated

In a small heavy saucepan cook the scallion in the butter and the reserved bacon fat over moderately low heat, stirring, until the scallion is softened, stir in the flour, and cook the roux stirring, for 3 minutes.

Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and boil the mixture, whisking, for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cayenne, the Cheddar, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until the cheese is melted.

Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition, and whisk in the bacon. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the cheese mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Pour the mixture into a buttered 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish and bake the soufflé in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden. Serve the soufflé immediately.

Source:
"Gourmet | September 1991"

-----
and for dessert - I've left his notes 'cause he made it differently quite often.

Banana Cake by SugarBrown's Mama's Mama (page 14 of Billy's book)

1/2 cup shortening (can be liquid oil or butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
4 T sour milk (I use 3 T milk and 1 T vinegar)
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups flour
1 pinch salt
1 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix all together. Bake in a lightly greased rectangular cake pan (I usually use a pyrex lasagna pan) for about 30 minutes or use the ole' toothpick method. I frost it with a cream/butter/powdered sugar conglomerate!

------
Billy’s notes over time; he started making this in 2005 so some of the comments are from C2C folks:

This recipe is sooooooooooo good, that if you haven't made it you are depriving yourself and your family. I don't even frost it, there is no need. A BIG thank you to SugarBrown for posting it:

Feb 14, 2006 - George, if you don't try that Sugarbrown's Mama's Mama's Banana Cake recipe, you'll never know what you missed. It's so easy and delicious I made it every day for a week. Not a crumb went to waste.

Oct 18, 2007 - It has been a long, long time since I've seen this recipe on C2C, and some of you may not have been fortunate enough to have made it. I turned Harborwitch on to it and she says I'm "Evil"...it is sooooooooo good and soooooo easy to make.

I usually make it in two 9" cake pans Daphne instead of a 9- X 13-inch baking dish. I have frequently made this cake with some nuts or other times with dried sweetened cranberries. I promised my sister-in-law I'd make her one this week using sour cream and butter cream frosting.

I think next time I make it I'll put a thin layer of PB between the layers and then drizzle with a milk chocolate ganache.

Other’s notes:
Maryann - Here is a recipe that Billy made and recommended highly. I hope that Sugarbrown won't mind that I posted it. It really is a good one! An added bonus: The notes at the end are from Billy.

------

Again, the review will be Monday, the 14th of December.

I hope the Decembe B'day girls will have a menu for us to follow this up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by cjs (O.K., here we go - B...)
Sounds good, Jean! Thanks for putting this together.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good, Jean! ...)
Thank you, Jean. Looking forward to celebrating for Billyj with these memories and recipes.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by farnfam (Thank you, Jean. Lo...)
This sounds good, I've been wanting to make those chicken roullades. Thanks for posting this, Jean.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
We are having a party for 50 on the 8th, at our house!! Ya'll have fun!! I will drink a toast to Billy!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by Old Bay (We are having a part...)
I suck at roullades because I don't have a decent "pounder" but I am so up for everthing else. When I last spoke with Billy we talked about souffles so I will make the souffle for sure along with the salad and the shrimp sushi parfaits.

I sure miss him.
This is wonderful Jean! I even had the parfait and souffle on my list. Perfect timing. I bet the banana cake will be out of this world too. We all know the roulades will be fab. I even adopted the caesar salad dressing as my goto dressing.

I think I will turn the souffle into a breakfast dish sometime in the next week or so.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by luvnit (This is wonderful Je...)
good idea, Laura, I had decided not to make it Wednesday, but it would be good for a brunch....another excuse for champagne!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by DFen911 (I suck at roullades ...)
Do you have a tortilla press???

I think we'll do the souffle. It looks like we might be snowed in so no avocados and some of the other stuff. But, we will be thinking about him.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Billy's Memorial Birthday Dinner by Harborwitch (Do you have a tortil...)
Quote:

Do you have a tortilla press???

I've tried them twice, but both times, the handles broke. Much easier by hand - just not as quick.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?