Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need recipe!!
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone, I just moved to Bangkok, Thailand and left my many years collection of Cuisine magazines behind. However I just volunteered to make the Chocolate Torte from Issue #7 1998 of the magazine for a Christmas Party here. This is a flourless torte, covered with chocolate ganache, and topped with chocolate curls and chocolate leaves. The same issue had a raspberry sauce. Here are a couple of photos of my attempts at making this several years ago, two different times:

[Image: torte2.jpg]
[Image: torte2_2004.jpg]

So, I need the recipe or I'm in trouble. Can anyone help? Please? Does anyone still have this issue? Can you scan and send it to me? Thanks.

Andy Chatman
  Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need recipe!! by macnmotion (Hi everyone, I just ...)
Andy - this is a family favorite. I might be making it this week for my youngest's birthday.... Here you go.

Torte:
9" spring form pan
12 oz semi sweet chocolate, chopped
1 # unsalted butter
8 oz espresso
1 cup dark brown sugar
8 eggs slightly beaten

Trace and cut out waxed paper or parchment to fit the bottom of a 9" spring form pan. Heat oven to 350.

Place chocolate in a bowl. In a saucepan, bring butter, espresso and sugar to a boil. Keep stirring until sugar dissolves.

Pour butter mixture into bowl of chopped chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Keep whisking as you very slowly pour eggs into chocolate mixture. Now pour the batter into prepared spring form pan.

Place spring form pan in a roasting pan. Add boiling water to roasting pan until water comes halfway up sides of pan.

Bake for one hour. Place on cooling rack. Run thinbladed knife around inside of pan to loosen torte. Cool, then chill overnight.

Remove sides from pan. Cut a piece of cardboard to fit torte. Set on top, then invert torte. (don't forget this step!!!) Place on a pedestal.

Slide knife between pan bottm and paper to release. Press lightly on cake to smooth out uneven spots.

Glaze:

8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
12 T unsalted butter, cut into tablesppons
5 t water
1 T light corn syrup.

Combine all the glaze ingredients in a bowl. Microwave at 50% power for 3 minutes. Stop and stir after each minute.

Whisk glaze until it becomes very smooth. This is important.

Pour warm glaze over torte, letting it coat sides. Pour fast because the cold torte makes the glaze set up. Use a knife to lightly touch uop only the uncouated areas. Don't touch anything else or you'll get marks.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by HomeCulinarian (Andy - this is a fam...)
For the raspberry sauce:

Simmer 5 minutes:
3 T sugar
1 14-oz pack of frozen raspberries

Use a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds

And don't forget to garnish with fresh raspberries, they make such a nice presentation.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by BarbaraS (For the raspberry sa...)
Welcome back Andy - Being so far away from your C@H issues, you'll be coming back to the forum quite often I would think while you're in Thailand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by cjs (Welcome back Andy - ...)
Hi Andy! Wow, Thailand what a wonderful experience! Come back any time you need one of your C@H recipes and we'll try to help you out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need recipe!! by macnmotion (Hi everyone, I just ...)
You are all awesome!! You saved my Christmas.

I had almost forgotten what a great resource these forums could be. Now I have it bookmarked on my new computer here. I'm hoping to learn how to do some real Thai cooking while living here, so I can certainly share those cooking adventures. I'm blogging my time here at www.andyinthailand.com, so if anyone's really bored it may make good reading to put you to sleep!!

Thanks again, I'll let you know how the torte turns out this year!! Andy
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by BarbaraS (For the raspberry sa...)
That looks like a great recipe. I have a couple of questions. I assume the espresso is brewed, not powder, and are the raspberries thawed prior to heating? Thanks.
Any those pictures are beautiful!
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by Cubangirl (That looks like a gr...)
I'd say the espresso is brewed and the raspberries can be thawed or frozen, it'll be faster (and won't affect flavor/texture) if they are thawed.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by cjs (I'd say the espresso...)
When I made my tortes I replaced the Espresso with hot chocolate since I wasn't a fan of coffee. But this time I think I'll use the espresso.
  Re: Re: Chocolate Torte from issue #7 1998 - need reci by macnmotion (When I made my torte...)
I use the espresso and a little bit of Chambord liquor.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.