Split Pea Soup
  Re: (...)
I just realized I can't do the corned beef this weekend...not enough time because I wanted to do the Slow Cooker BBQ recipe again. SOOOO I just called William with the list. He's picked the Split Pea Soup (surprise, that) and "pressed" sammies. (It's supposed to get really cold and nasty here tonight.)

I have a basic recipe...dried peas, carrots, onion, ham but was wondering if anybody had a special way of making this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Split Pea Soup by Gourmet_Mom (I just realized I ca...)
I use the same ingredients as you listed, but usually try to get a ham bone or use ham hocks. We love split pea soup, it's good cold weather food!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by Mare749 (I use the same ingre...)
So basic is best...Unless I can get a ham bone from the butcher, I'll have to just flavor with ham and take it out before I puree it. The recipe I just looked at has celery, potatoes and bay leaf in it, also. I don't think I'll use the bay leaf. When I've made it before, I've just "winged it", but I think I'll actually try to follow a recipe and see if the guys like it better. They've never really cared for it before...thus my surprise when William picked this...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by Mare749 (I use the same ingre...)
I stumbled across a good recipe, the usual ingredients, but put in one diced potato and overcook the heck out of it. I was making it one time and had to dash off to the ER with one of the kids and forgot to turn off the stove. When we came back a couple of hours later the soup was perfect, really thick since all the peas had cooked down to mush. We all agreed it really the best pea soup ever, so I always cook it too long. The potato cooks down to nothing, but acts as a thickener.

Sally
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by lxxf (I stumbled across a ...)
Thanks for the hint Sally! I just ran across a mention of Julia Child's Recipe, so I googled that and found what I believe to be her original making a ham stock with split ham hocks. I think I'll go with that! This one doesn't have a potato in it, so I think I'll modify that one little thing. I agree that it acts as a thickener, too.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the hint ...)
How funny, while looking thru the freezer this a.m. for something I ran across a ham bone plus some goodies, so I'm making split pea also. I have an added bonus of having some ham stock in the freezer to add to the pot also.

I make mine like MS Julia, but I do add my peas earlier than she calls for because we like ours 'overcooked' too!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by cjs (How funny, while loo...)
Like minds, I guess! Too funny!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by Gourmet_Mom (Like minds, I guess!...)
I think this is twice this week!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by cjs (I think this is twic...)
Recipe?? My Mom would love this!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Split Pea Soup by BarbaraS (Recipe?? My Mom wou...)
Jean, I think you're right!

Here you go Barbara. I don't think I'm going to use the cloves and will add a potato, but I think that's all the changes I'm making. My butcher didn't have a ham bone, so I'm going with the ham hocks...simmering right now.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Split Pea Soup a La Julia Child Recipe

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
The Ham Stock
2 well-washed and scrubbed split ham hocks
3 quarts water
1 cup chopped carrot (coarse is fine)
1 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery -- chopped
3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
5 whole cloves or allspice berries
The Soup
3 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup diced celery
2/3 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrot
3 tablespoons flour
2 quarts ham stock -- heated
1 1/2 cups split peas or yellow split peas

For the stock, put the ham hocks in a kettle with water to cover by 2 inches.

Make an herb bouquet with washed cheesecloth, using the bay leaves, thyme and cloves or allspice.

Put this in the pot, along with the carrots, onions and celery.

Simmer 3 to 4 hours with the kettle cover slightly open. Or, simmer in crockpot for 8 hours on low.
Skim occasionally.

Strain and degrease. Easiest way to degrease is to make ahead and chill, remove fat when cold.
Freeze if you want.

To make the soup, set a saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter.

Saute the vegetables, stirring, for 5 minutes.

Blend in the flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.

Remove from the heat and cool briefly, blend in the hot ham stock and the split peas.

Bring to a simmer, stirring.

Cover and cook about 45 minutes until peas are tender.

Salt and pepper to taste after 1/2 hour of simmering.

When cooked, mash or puree the soup depending on the consistency you want.

Garnish with homemade croutons or sauteed ham bits if desired.

Source:
"© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. [url=http://www.recipezaar.com"]http://www.recipezaar.com"[/url]
Daphne