Hot Chili?
  Re: (...)
Okay, I was multi-tasking and forgot to tell Jody, "the employee" to seed the two small peppers I had roasted in the freezer. Now bear in mind, I could only identify one of these as a jalapeno....not sure what the other one was...OIY! But hey, I figured it would be okay. That's just two little peppers in a HUGE batch of chili. WRONG! I'm afraid it might be hotter than my crowd will like.

So just in case, is there anything I can do? I've added a little bit of sugar and balsamic vinegar, but didn't want to overdo it...maybe a tablespoon each in a LARGE stock pot...maybe 8 gallons? Since it's too hot (temp) right now to adjust much, I figure I'll wait and see what the boys think tomorrow when I start to reheat it. They like more heat than I do, so they may be okay with it...but just in case....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Hot Chili? by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I was multi-ta...)
Serve it with (but not on or mixed with) white rice or bread. That can relieve some of the burning. Also, ice water or milk, but NOT soda (the carbonation makes the burning worse).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
First of all let it sit overnite--some peppers calm down with time. Second, if that doesn't work, serve it mixed with rice (I disagree with Labs), or serve over fritos with shredded cheese and chopped avacado--it's not pure chili anymore, but it may be good to eat. We call it frito pie.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hot Chili? by Old Bay (First of all let it ...)
The standard answer we used to give to cool down a dish that was too hot was to make another batch and not add any heat...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Two or Three peeled whole potatoes will take out some of the heat - just add them when reheating; or two or three dollops of honey will take out heat; or the juice of one lime. These are all one at the time things. They have helped with ours when Mister accidentally put too much chipolte peppers in adobo sauce.
  Re: Re: Hot Chili? by (Two or Three peeled ...)
All good tips. The only one I've tried is the one with potatoes, and it did help some. Usually, I end up doing what Jean said and just make another batch and mix them. Ron can take more heat, so he will usually just sit down with a sleeve of saltines and a stick of butter and eat the buttered crackers along with the hot chili.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hot Chili? by Mare749 (All good tips. The o...)
I'm hoping Bill is right. It isn't intolerably hot. I'm thinking the boys will probably like it...I'm a wimp with hot food. The advice to make another batch and mix is out of the question unless the guys don't like it. Here's why:

[Image: DSC03155.jpg]

The one on the left is 3/4 full and the one on the right is over half! LOL! I hope they like it!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hot Chili? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm hoping Bill is r...)
Before William headed out to the farm, I had him sample the chili...just zapped a little taste. He said that's not that hot, so I'm good to go. It doesn't seem to be quite as hot today...just a quick little heat at the back of your mouth in the end. My usual "chili" has just a smokey flavor, so I guess you couldn't really call it chili...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hot Chili? by Gourmet_Mom (Before William heade...)
Saved by the 'heat seeking missile' men!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hot Chili? by cjs (Saved by the 'heat s...)
Thanks Sonja! The boys declared it a hit! I think it's pretty darn good, too! It is good enough, that I have been told that I can make it again with the cubed beef! William was thrilled I made him a separate batch without beans...just for him! Jody, the employee, said I'd be glad later...LOL!
Daphne