Food Saver Systems
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

Who on this board has a food saver system? Where did you get it and how do you like it?

I bought that wimpy system from Ziploc and sometimes the bag stays sealed, sometimes it doesn't. And now I can't find replacement bags. So I was thinking of asking Santa for a new system. And I want one that will fit in a drawer since I'm out of counter space.

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Food Saver Systems by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]Who ...)
Oh boy, here is a thread where Billy would shine!! Next to me I think he used his more than anyone else I've ever known. I have the professional FoodSaver, Barbara, and I've had two since 2000 - but that was with heavy use. I used it everyday when I was personal cheffing and what a God send it was for those jobs.

When I was in school (nights) all of Roy's dinners were prepared ahead of time so he could just simmer his dinner to perfection while he had his telephone date with our oldest daughter.

If you can afford it, go for the best of the FoodSaver models, I don't think you will ever be sorry.

I must say tho, that I've never used the canister thingees for anything, just the pouches. Someone else will have to let you know about that feature.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by cjs (Oh boy, here is a th...)
Jean,

I was looking at this one:

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/2476...ystem.aspx

Any thoughts?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]I was l...)
Nope, don't know anything about it or the brand.

Just went to the website to show you what mine is, but evidently my model is too old now. But, when & if I need to replace it, this is what I would get.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id...7&pid=7190

maybe someone else will know about the brand you mentioned or another brand.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by BarbaraS (Jean,[br][br]I was l...)
Barbara, I use the same brand as Jean, I think. This is similar to the one I have: FoodSaver

I say similar, because mine is so old, they don't make it anymore. Mine is wearing out. Billy kept telling me I could buy new gaskets so it would seal consistently, but I just haven't gotten around to it. He said I could still buy gaskets for it for a buck each and that would fix my sealing problem. I'd love to have an excuse to buy one of the newer models, but I'll probably try ordering a set of gaskets over Christmas. Why replace it if it does the job?

In addition to occasional weekly use, I buy meats in bulk once a month and that little beauty seals them up for the freezer perfectly....well until recently. I used to use it so often, it stayed out on my counter. It has worked hard and has given great service until the last year or so. I think I've had it since they first came out about 10 years ago.

Posting at the same time, I see...LOL! Yes, Jean, that is the one I want also. Mom got Mark, my brother, one of the newer models just before he died. I don't think he used it very much. I sure would love to have it! But then I wouldn't have an excuse to get the one you posted!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, I use the s...)
BTW, I got mine after seeing one at a friend's house. He used his with the marinating canister and LOVED it. Mine didn't come with that...I just got the cheapo set. I never have used the canister that comes with it...never quite figured it out...DUH!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by Gourmet_Mom (BTW, I got mine afte...)
Daphne, Jean,

Thanks so much for the links! I like the simpler one that Daphne linked to. I just need to seal stuff after opening the packages and keep the ice out.

Thanks!!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by BarbaraS (Daphne, Jean,[br][br...)
I have the same one Daphne has and love it! I just haven't figured out how to do foods that are too moist. So I do my own thing. I put the food into the bag and then into the freezer for a couple of hours. Once the liquid is solid I vaccuum seal it.

The system is just wonderful for meats. When I my grocery store has ribeyes on sale I usually go buy about 8 of them and seal them each indvidually.

Oh and this year I did fresh corn on the cob. Was so glad I had the unit for the corn
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by DFen911 (I have the same one ...)
Denise, there are models now that stop the sealing process for "wet" stuff. I do what you do. I forgot, the poor old thing worked like a dog this summer. I looked at the replacement section of the site, but couldn't figure out what part I needed.

Oh, Billy, I miss you! You'd know exactly what I need. If I'd known it would have been this easy, I would have done it while you were still here to help me. This is my punishment for putting it off.

I guess I'll have to call. I have the old 1050 series in case somebody knows. I figure I need the "drip tray" that has the gaskets attached, but there's several with different part numbers, but no model number attached like the other parts. GEEZ!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Food Saver Systems by DFen911 (I have the same one ...)
Denise,

The Acme had split chicken breasts (bone, skin on) for sale for $1 a pound. It was hard to walk away. All I could think about was how to freeze them... how to freeze them... effectively...

Barbara